Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maclachlan Hats

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
Is air-vac the model or the type of sweatband or what?

air vac would probably refer to their patented "A-hat press for producing corrugations at the inside of the front quarter of the crown adjacent to and extending into the under face of the brim... thus providing air passages into the crown for ventilation."

you see, what they did, was build a machine which "...comprises a base plate having a recess shaped to support a hat in an inverted position and a corrugating head. The head is mounted on double arms pivoted to the base and having a forwardly extending locking arm ending in a pivoted handle. The handle has a locking head which engages a recess in a keeper bar which is pivoted to a plate secured to the front of the base. Springs attached to the base urge the keeper bar forward at the top..."

it's all so simple really,
so who in the lounge has one of these machines at home?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Somebody scored a beauty of a MacClachlan this eve on EB. Light tan with brown ribbon. $66.00. Anyone we know? C'mon, fess up. I would've taken a stab at it but it was PayPal only and I'm P'd off at them so I'm being stubborn.

MattJH

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Somebody scored a beauty of a MacClachlan this eve on EB. Light tan with brown ribbon. $66.00. Anyone we know? C'mon, fess up. I would've taken a stab at it but it was PayPal only and I'm P'd off at them so I'm being stubborn.

It was me. Check my post about four replies up... I needed that hat box.

MattJH

One Too Many
Here it is. Much to my delight, this hat truly seems NOS and was kept in almost pristine condition. Aside from a few very light scuff marks on the felt that could probably be brushed off, this is right off the shelf. Even the sweatband feels new. Even more of a surprise is that it's marked BEAVER FIFTEEN. If only it fit me! It is a 6 7/8 Long Oval. Take note of the very interesting purposeful divots around the underside of the hat near the AirVac sweat. I've never seen that before on any other hat I've handled.

Measurements: Crown is 5.5", brim is just over 2 1/2", and the ribbon is just over 1".

DSC05157_resize.jpg

DSC05158_resize.jpg

DSC05160_resize.jpg

DSC05159_resize.jpg

DSC05165_resize.jpg

DSC05163_resize.jpg

DSC05162_resize.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Some quotes from our very own members about MacLachlan hats, not including what has been mentioned in this thread:

Mr. H - "The fur pelts that they used were great, really dense and silky."

jamespowers - "they had to compete with the big boys and did so by giving you more for the money."

Andykev - "have heard that MacLaughlan(sic) hats were independant so they made quality out of the finest materials and supplies."

ArtFawcett - "...a very good name in hats"

fedoralover - "I have a brown one that is on the same quality level as my vintage Borsalinos."

besdor - "this company made some of the best bodies for felt hats ... They rarely show up on OFAS ... Its a great hat from one of the hardest to find hat companies in Danbury CT."

Makes you wonder why they aren't discussed more!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Andykev has a Maclachlan Silver Beaver Fifty that many say is the finest felt they have ever seen. I have not seen it personally, but those who have know their felt.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
All of the Andykev photo links on the Lounge make me sad. He's got so many good posts and hats that I'm dying to see. :(

MattJH

One Too Many
I've been getting several PMs from folks interested in purchasing this hat. I just wanted to make a global post to let everyone know that it's already claimed by the first person who had showed interest, and that I thank you for all of yours! This hat deserves all of your attention.

I sure do wish my hat size was a 6 7/8 so I could wear this one, but then I wouldn't be able to wear my 7 5/8 MacLachlan without sewing 8 sweatbands on top of each other. It's my most favorite hat ever.

While I'm wishing, I wish there were more MacLachlans out there to be had.

Anyone have a Silver Beaver 50 in 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 laying around? :) :) :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Another Mac

I've had this hat quite a while. I guess I was hoping my head would shrink or the hat would expand (no I won't try to stretch this one). This is probably one of the best or maybe the best felts I've had my hands on.

The felt is so uniform in color and void of any "crap" you sometimes see mixed in. Its pounced pretty smooth yet its still thick. I measure the raw brim edge at one and a half sixteenths.There is no model name on the sweat or the reorder tag. The liner seems like silk but maybe some kind of rayon mix instead. Just not quite as slippery as silk. The black MacLachlan Hat Makers logo matches the logo on the sweat. No retailer mark. Thick red paper size tag with gold numbers. Non-reeded sweat.

Since its too snug for me to wear and with the non-reeded sweat that I won't try stretching, I'm hoping to get this into a loungers hands (see classifieds).

B

mac_3.jpg

mac_6.jpg

mac_15.jpg

mac_14.jpg

mac_13.jpg

mac_7.jpg

mac_8.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Freem's Ltd. MacLachlan

4427907449_2ee1f32f24_b.jpg

4427907669_7cca0c2e9c.jpg
4428674404_b063d258f8.jpg

4427907963_b66ee366db_b.jpg

4428675052_4f9d2bfb7e.jpg
4428675310_9ddaa128fe.jpg

4428674888_8dc011acfd.jpg
4427494928_89873f12e2.jpg

2-3/4" wide brim with Cavanagh Edge. Moderately thick soft felt that molds well without steam. Crown is 4-1/2" high at center pinch but stuffed down pretty well on top, probably about 5-3/4" open.
From a Vintage Ties site:
"Freem's Ltd. was in business at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York from 1931-1956 and in Miami Beach from 1936-1950. Its owner, Lou Freedman, who owned a store on Broadway, was chosen from 150 applicants to open a shop in the Waldorf, the first men's store on Park Avenue. It was one of the great stores in the country. All of the merchandise was made especially for the store and its exact duplicate was found nowhere else."

Dreispitz

One Too Many
RLK,

that is certainly one of the rarest finds on the lounge! And .... it has got everything in terms of style! And ..... you wear it well!!!!!!

buler

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:

Gorgeous hat RLK! Thats an interesting "pie-crust" crimp around the sweatband/reed area. I can't tell RLK, is there a reed or not? Anyone seen this crimping on any other hats?

B

rlk

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Gorgeous hat RLK! Thats an interesting "pie-crust" crimp around the sweatband/reed area. I can't tell RLK, is there a reed or not? Anyone seen this crimping on any other hats?

B
Thank you Dreispitz and buler. It is reeded. The "piecrust" looking areas are ventilation channels pressed into the felt(see comments at the top of page #21) directing air behind the perforations in the sweatband leather. Habig Ventilo is similar and the corrugated Borsalino is the same general idea--airflow between sweatband and felt body at the brow area.

rlk said:
Habig Ventilo is similar and the corrugated Borsalino is the same general idea--airflow between sweatband and felt body at the brow area.

Very cool! :) Does look something like Habig Ventilo. Are there felt shafts like Ventilo?

By the way amazing hat!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
4427907449_2ee1f32f24_b.jpg

4427907669_7cca0c2e9c.jpg
4428674404_b063d258f8.jpg

4427907963_b66ee366db_b.jpg

4428675052_4f9d2bfb7e.jpg
4428675310_9ddaa128fe.jpg

4428674888_8dc011acfd.jpg
4427494928_89873f12e2.jpg

2-3/4" wide brim with Cavanagh Edge. Moderately thick soft felt that molds well without steam. Crown is 4-1/2" high at center pinch but stuffed down pretty well on top, probably about 5-3/4" open.
From a Vintage Ties site:
"Freem's Ltd. was in business at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York from 1931-1956 and in Miami Beach from 1936-1950. Its owner, Lou Freedman, who owned a store on Broadway, was chosen from 150 applicants to open a shop in the Waldorf, the first men's store on Park Avenue. It was one of the great stores in the country. All of the merchandise was made especially for the store and its exact duplicate was found nowhere else."
That's a great look all around. I was trying to date my Mac Lachlan hat when I saw this thread.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
rlk said:
4783897534_cea6a504ab_o.png

I want one.

I have one. :D

It is brown and was made for Oviatt's. It is the nicest felt I have ever handled and I have had hundreds of vintage hats pass through my hands. It is higher quality than my C & K Forty. It is also a monster of a hat with a 6 1/2 inch crown and nearly 3 inch brim. I love it so much...

I just recently noticed the Maclachlan sticker under the sweatband. Can you provide more info on the ad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21