Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maclachlan Hats

rlk

I'll Lock Up
M_Jones said:
I have one. :D

It is brown and was made for Oviatt's. It is the nicest felt I have ever handled and I have had hundreds of vintage hats pass through my hands. It is higher quality than my C & K Forty. It is also a monster of a hat with a 6 1/2 inch crown and nearly 3 inch brim. I love it so much...

I just recently noticed the Maclachlan sticker under the sweatband. Can you provide more info on the ad?

The ad is on ebay and described as 40's.

Can you provide photos of the hat?

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Sure...

CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

CIMG0862.jpg

CIMG0864.jpg

CIMG0865.jpg

CIMG0867.jpg

CIMG0868.jpg

CIMG0869.jpg

CIMG0870.jpg

The felt is like clay. Give me one in gray and the rest of my collection could go by the wayside...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
M_Jones said:
Sure...

CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

CIMG0862.jpg

CIMG0864.jpg

CIMG0865.jpg

CIMG0867.jpg

CIMG0868.jpg

CIMG0869.jpg

CIMG0870.jpg

The felt is like clay. Give me one in gray and the rest of my collection could go by the wayside...

Marc Chevalier will be interested in seeing this hat. It is gorgeous!!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
M_Jones said:
Hey, that's my hat! I bought one just like that, maybe same thing, at a second hand store about 22 years ago. It's a MacLachlan of that color and size/shape. Long ago I changed the hat ribbon and can't remember what it had been. I consider it my weather hat. I wonder if it's beaver? I don't know whether the felt is like clay or not because I asked Vince Corvelli locally to reblock it, but subsequently I have been energized by the praise given to the MacLachlan brand.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments folks. I am no Buler, Douglas, Dinerman or Rlk but of my meager collection this hat is the best of the bunch. I am not proud of what I paid for it but I found out later the price was so high due to my competition wanting it for a museum piece. That made the hat increase in value for me at least.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
That hat is a big fat pile of fantastic and is worth every penny you paid for it.
:arated: Certain hats genuinely merit their high prices and deserve being called "rare". Exceptional in every way.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
How would you say they compare to some other great hats? (Stetson 100's, Optimos, etc...) I'm curious about how good this felt really is.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks for the scan Buler, you rock man. It is from the folks here that post these ads and other information that we glean so much. :)

Flute, I have never handled a Stetson 100 but I own a 7X Clear Beaver, a C & K Forty, a few old Borsalinos and have owned or handled many other vintage and modern hats of various grades (to include Optimos, ABs, and hats from Art). The Silver Beaver is by far the nicest felt I have yet to get my hands on. The felt, finish and structure of the hat is really top-notch. I hope this helps.

MattJH

One Too Many
I am almost ready to sell my 7 5/8 LO Maclachlan that this thread was originally created about by besdor, along with the matching tartan hatbox. I'll be taking pictures and posting in the Classifieds soon enough, but if you know you're interested, feel free to shoot me a PM.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Got this Mac today. I wonder if "sub-standard" is the model name.... I really don't see a reason why its marked that so maybe Mac had some pretty high quality standards. I was hoping it was a cav edge, but its a single stitch overwelt. Great color combo with color matched wind trolley cord and button. Fully tacked bow. Air-Vac sweatband with open crimped front area. The felt is very nice. Has that beaver "rebound" especially in the crown.

B

maclachlan_2.jpg

maclachlan_3c.jpg

maclachlan_4.jpg

maclachlan_6.jpg

maclachlan_7.jpg

maclachlan_8.jpg

maclachlan_9.jpg

maclachlan_10.jpg

maclachlan_11.jpg

maclachlan_12.jpg

Forum statistics