Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maclachlan Hats

MattJH

One Too Many
Hi! Yes, happy about this one. I'll be posting detailed pictures once it comes in. I wouldn't have known if it was worth bidding on if it wasn't for this thread. I wonder if it'll be a Silver Beaver 50? Either way, I really like the tartan lining and the hat shape. I'll report back.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I watched that one for a long while...but didn't want to go much higher than what it went for...Great buy Dumbjaw!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I did grab a Disney though, that I'm hoping will work out....

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
From whay my father told me , this company made some of the best bodies for felt hats . We used to make our own hats back in the 1950's . Towards the end of their business, they started to make their own hats . I have one , but it's a very small size and they rarely show up on OFAS .
Good job Dumbjaw.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

MattJH

One Too Many
Thanks!

I'm excited.

Again, if it weren't for the thread here from before I ever heard of this place, I would've never known.

MattJH

One Too Many
Uh... better late than never? :)

Brim: 2"
Crown: 5 1/2"
Ribbon: 2 1/4"

The color is a very deep brown. I'd almost want to call it a charcoal brown, if that makes any sense. If you pop the center dent out, the open crown looks virtually uncreased. I'd wager a guess that this hat was very rarely worn, if it all. "Cavanagh" edge to the brim. I'm working a tight front pinch along with the center dent. I think it looks better.

I figured out how to properly secure the wind trolley after I took the pictures. Figures.

Anyone care to date this hat? It kind of rules.

maclachlan-front1.jpg

Taken without a flash, but you can't really see anything. Sorry.

maclachlan-front2.jpg

With a flash. It's a deep brown. You can't tell.

maclachlan-side.jpg

Side of the hat precariously perched on my television.

maclachlan-back.jpg

The back of the hat. Awesome ribbon treatment.

maclachlan-liner.jpg

The tell-tale tartan lining that MacLachlan used.

maclachlan-sweat.jpg

Is air-vac the model or the type of sweatband or what?

maclachlan-size.jpg

A true 7 5/8 LO.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
At least you didn't leave us hanging more than six months!

I would guess Air-Vac refers to the sweatband, but that's just a guess.

Hate to break this to you, but that's just a regular overwelt on the brim edge, not a Cavanagh.

I've got a nice brown MacLachlan Homburg, but it doesn't have that great tartan liner. That's a neat feature.

I think I have some tidbits of information on MacLachlan in my files somewhere, but I'm still unpacking from moving over the weekend, so it will be a while before I can dig it out.

Brad

MattJH

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
...that's just a regular overwelt on the brim edge, not a Cavanagh.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know the difference.

Best thing about this hat: it's both brown AND grey. I don't know how they did it. It's like a charcoal version of both colors.

MattJH

One Too Many
I just won an auction that included a MacLachlan hat box for my 7 5/8 Long Oval, my favorite hat that I own. It even matches the tartan lining in my hat. Now I have a complete set. Happy about this. It's an expensive win for just a hat box, I understand, but these hats are so hard to come by that I knew I had to pounce on the opportunity to get a hat box for it. Minor obsessive-compulsiveness, I guess. I'm going to be offering the 6 7/8 MacLachlan hat itself to help recoup my monetary losses.

No need to explain, Dumbjaw. If we weren't all at least a bit obsessed, we wouldn't be here.

Man, that's a beauty of a hat you won there, to go along with the box. I'd think you'd find someone willing to pay you at least what you have into it, even though it is a small size. A person could go an awfully long time before he found a nicer hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana