Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maclachlan Hats

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I once looked at selling on ebay and decided against it precisely because of the fees.... now they even want you to pay their percentage on actual shipping costs. Get that? They are assessing a surcharge on top of the shipping cost you incur to send the goods to the buyer. Taxing your costs??? To heck with that. I'll give away a hat before I succumb to that form of piracy.

I will also say... if your size 7 MacLachlan, @Pat Kindermann , were a size 7-1/4, 7-3/8, 7-1/2, 7-5/8, etc.... it would already be sold, without all this commentary and supposition.

I once looked at selling on ebay and decided against it precisely because of the fees.... now they even want you to pay their percentage on actual shipping costs. Get that? They are assessing a surcharge on top of the shipping cost you incur to send the goods to the buyer. Taxing your costs??? To heck with that. I'll give away a hat before I succumb to that form of piracy.

I will also say... if your size 7 MacLachlan, @Pat Kindermann , were a size 7-1/4, 7-3/8, 7-1/2, 7-5/8, etc.... it would already be sold, without all this commentary and supposition.

I hear you both, selling on ebay is full of disappointments. They really do always side with the buyer too. That said, they are the biggest game in town and I’ve only had one really bad experience where the buyer was gaming the system. I’ve sold over 60 hats on ebay this year alone, and while there is much I don’t think is right I keep going back as it’s where I get the most exposure and usually the highest prices even after paying the fees.

Incidentally, I think the fees charged for shipping was precipitated by sellers gaming the system by charging little for an item but jacking the shipping way up and avoiding the ebay fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pat Kindermann

New in Town

Well, I really don't know how a fee on shipping is legal. According to a very good etsy buyer, they are charging her on shipping and taxes. She wanted to bring it to my attention, but was dealing with etsy about that. Again, legal? Every single big player is moving at warp speed these days. Difficult to keep up.

Pat Kindermann

New in Town

Hi, Tilwila,
My response to your last portion of the post... I know. I know. I know. I KNOW. lol
It's funny. He started out with size 7, but his later hats (I call them Sam Sneed and certainly nothing to write home about) are larger. Go figure ! :)

Good morning, Daniel,
I had to go through all of my emails to find your message. I was gone most of yesterday and for whatever reason I can't get through on my phone messages to give replies. So, desktop here to save the day.
To your comment. My thanks for your interest and recommendations:
Yes, I am very much aware of price vs price and size being smaller. In most cases I do absolutely agree with you; however, my MAC is not what I would consider in the usual or ordinary range. Yes, I am a novice to most of this and have sold perhaps 5 hats in my lifetime (most of which were small), but I understand rare whether it is to be worn for the head or as part of a collection. There are hats on sites that are far more than my intended thoughts about pricing (since I couldn't find any real comparisons I chose other lesser brands).
As for ebay, there's a story here, and I'll keep this short. I opened an ebay store a couple years ago to move some vintage items quickly and for the huge exposure. I primarily sell on etsy. I was a top rated seller+ with ebay at one point until they really started to play games and I told them I was no longer going to jump their hoops especially since me fees are somewhere between 19%-25%. My final comment was, "I don't reward bad behavior." They took this up with top management and they only reduced me to top rated. Now, with 100% perfect everything they are going to lower me to above average. In essence, sellers no longer have any rights there and I'm not playing any more games.
And, let's just add this as an example.... if the winner gets a hat (example), wears the hat, and then decides a month or so later to return it (and those who do it know the "key word" to use for the claim and for the return), they automatically refund the money in most cases and a shipping label to return it. No say, seller, sorry. Take it forward to prom dresses, wedding gowns, holidays, etc. See bad habits?
I apologize this got so long, but it is a frustrating topic for me.
Back to the MAC. This will not go on ebay for all and more mentioned above.
I went through over 30 pages of the classified thread yesterday totally breaking my rule not to stray from topic. Wow... I love this place. I digress. The rules state to set a price, no offers. Offers had been made and it was brought up. I would not be offended by offers, but I certainly would not go against the classified rules.
I hope I haven't offended you or bored you.
Again, my apologies for the tardiness.
All best,
Pat

I only own two Mac Lachlan hats, both size 7 5/8. I paid $160 for the brown and $55 for the gray (admittedly the gray was below market). Both hats were vintage desirable hats and not stingy brims. While fairly uncommon and desirable, Mac Lachlans don’t always bring the money the seller’s expect. If it was in my size and I really wanted it, I might go $250 (for a 7 5/8), but that’s just me. Usually, I would rather wait and find a great deal of my own.

Pat Kindermann

New in Town
I hear you both, selling on ebay is full of disappointments. They really do always side with the buyer too. That said, they are the biggest game in town and I’ve only had one really bad experience where the buyer was gaming the system. I’ve sold over 60 hats on ebay this year alone, and while there is much I don’t think is right I keep going back as it’s where I get the most exposure and usually the highest prices even after paying the fees.

Incidentally, I think the fees charged for shipping was precipitated by sellers gaming the system by charging little for an item but jacking the shipping way up and avoiding the ebay fees.

Do I call you deadly or handsome? :)
I started ebay because of the exposure, and while I understand what you posted, it's difficult for me to compromise my principles (ask my former CEO) or sell my soul. And let me tell you, discernment can be a terrible thing :)

Do I call you deadly or handsome? :)
I started ebay because of the exposure, and while I understand what you posted, it's difficult for me to compromise my principles (ask my former CEO) or sell my soul. And let me tell you, discernment can be a terrible thing :)

Please, call me Brent.
I know what ebay’s policies are and by using the site I agree to them. I don’t see it as a compromise of principles; rather, just the way their business works and we have the option to use it or not. Some others think that it’s unethical to pay a little for a vintage hat and turn around and sell it for a big profit. I don’t. I think it’s capitalism and supply and demand.

Pat Kindermann

New in Town
Brent,
My only problem with any of these sites is that you agree to the rules and they quickly change them. At that point you have a lot of merchandise on them and choices to make. I find myself as a shop owner holding my breath with the major year changes which are usually Spring and Fall on ebay. There really is no other venue like ebay, so it's really about choices at this point.
As for buy low, sell high, I, too have no problem with that. If others knew how much work, cleaning and research go into some of these items. I was at a rare (for me) yard sale and the woman selling was a picker. I am looking things over and not really interested. She approached me and pointed to these two Italian birds with chips and much too frilly for me. She said, "you can have them for 8 bucks." I thought perhaps she was really hard for cash, so I purchased them and didn't think anything else about them.
My curiosity started making sounds and I attempted to figure them out. Not your usual birds either. They were life size. After months I thought I had them pegged and created a listing. Something didn't feel right to me so I took them down. Spent another several weeks only to find they were rare "fancy pigeons". More research and then listing. Asked $800 on etsy, accepted an offer of $700. Great ROR and a lot of work, but it certainly paid off. Apparently she was not willing to do that. Yippee for me. I think I earned it. Same goes for the hats. This is all effortful, eh?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
A milk chocolate mid-ribbon Mac Lachlan:
IMG_20200103_120918537.jpg IMG_20200103_121006963.jpg IMG_2073.JPG
Specs:
2-1/2" Brim
3/16" Bound edge (symmetric)
5-1/4" Crown (open)
1" Ribbon
93g Weight
Tagged 7-1/8 but the seller's measurements suggested it fit more like a 7-1/4, so I took a chance. Sure glad I did because it does indeed fit like one. The ribbon was partially folded over on itself so it'll need a little bit of TLC, but otherwise in great condition. Now I know why Doc Max likes these hats so much. Might not be the ever elusive 100 but a mighty fine hat nonetheless.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 203529 View attachment 203530 View attachment 203531
Specs:
2-1/2" Brim
5-1/4" Crown (open)
1" Ribbon
93g Weight
Tagged 7-1/8 but the seller's measurements suggested it fit more like a 7-1/4, so I took a chance. Sure glad I did because it does indeed fit like one. The ribbon was partially folded over on itself so it'll need a little bit of TLC, but otherwise in great condition. Now I know why Doc Max likes these hats so much. Might not be the ever elusive 100 but a mighty fine hat nonetheless.
Super Mac Lachlan, Jonathan. I've admired Max's for a while now. Now I'm drooling over yours [emoji4]. Have to put one on my bucket list. Looks 40s, maybe 30s to my European eye. Is that so?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Specs:
2-1/2" Brim
5-1/4" Crown (open)
1" Ribbon
93g Weight
That is a splendid hat you've caught there, Jonathan. Congrats!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Specs:
2-1/2" Brim
5-1/4" Crown (open)
1" Ribbon
93g Weight
Yeah! I wish I hadn't seen this post, though. Damn, I missed it![emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Super Mac Lachlan, Jonathan. I've admired Max's for a while now. Now I'm drooling over yours [emoji4]. Have to put one on my bucket list. Looks 40s, maybe 30s to my European eye. Is that so?
I really couldn't say since I'm no expert, and I don't want people jumping my s*** if I were to hypothesize based off of the collective (anecdotal) evidence found on this forum. There are others here that can probably tell you, but I'm just a peon that doesn't know anything. I'm pretty confident I can use a use a ruler and scale, though I'm sure others will question that as well, so I'll just stick to hard numbers. I'll also see if I can find anything on Greiman Bros that might help with a timeframe.

That is a splendid hat you've caught there, Jonathan. Congrats!
Thanks, Stefan. Another fortuitous right place at the right time find. It was only listed for about 10 minutes. (Fortunately, Max was out on the links at the time this popped up.) I took a chance because the seller didn't show the size, just overall dimensions with an "about" disclaimer. Definitely lucked into this one.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I really couldn't say since I'm no expert, and I don't want people jumping my s*** if I were to hypothesize based off of the collective (anecdotal) evidence found on this forum. There are others here that can probably tell you, but I'm just a peon that doesn't know anything. I'm pretty confident I can use a use a ruler and scale, though I'm sure others will question that as well, so I'll just stick to hard numbers. I'll also see if I can find anything on Greiman Bros that might help with a timeframe.

Thanks, Stefan. Another fortuitous right place at the right time find. It was only listed for about 10 minutes. (Fortunately, Max was out on the links at the time this popped up.) I took a chance because the seller didn't show the size, just overall dimensions with an "about" disclaimer. Definitely lucked into this one.
I'm no expert either Jonathan, but I don't care about people jumping on my s##t. They'll just get a soggy, dirty foot [emoji4].

Mac Lachlans are new to me, but the exterior style, interior look, and overall effect say 40s, quite possibly 30s to me. I'm more than willing and looking forward to being educated about these interesting hats.
Congrats on yours, my friend. I bet Max is kicking himself [emoji6]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Specs:
2-1/2" Brim
5-1/4" Crown (open)
1" Ribbon
93g Weight

Great find ! I really like that color. I’ve been looking for a Mac since I started collecting vintage hats after seeing one of Max’s.

No luck yet.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot