Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
pricing on collectors items

BTW, I believe that Trek Barbie set went for about $100 when it debuted for Xmas more than a decade ago. After several months it was down to about $20. But then again it depends on how many are stacked up in ToysRUs...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Considered

" ...childhood innocence once stood a chance..."

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/03/14/weekinreview/0314-considered-graphic.html

14considred01-hpMedium.jpg

ChadHahn

New in Town
Does anyone watch the NBC show "Community"? One of the cast is Alison Brie who plays Pete Campbell's wife on "Mad Men".

By the way, this is my first post.

Chad

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
ChadHahn said:
Does anyone watch the NBC show "Community"? One of the cast is Alison Brie who plays Pete Campbell's wife on "Mad Men".

By the way, this is my first post.

Chad

Welcome, Chad. No I haven't seen it, but I don't catch many programs.

-David

ChadHahn

New in Town
David Conwill said:
Welcome, Chad. No I haven't seen it, but I don't catch many programs.

-David

It's a fairly good, but not great show. She looks different enough that I spent most of the first episode trying to figure out who she was.

It seems that people looked older in the past maybe in the same way that people try to look younger today.

Chad

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:
AMC announced that Sun., Jul. 25 will mark the highly-anticipated return of television's best drama, AMC's Mad Men!!!!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

CAN'T WAIT!

bradford

Familiar Face
I just read through this entire thread and now I am even more ready for Season 4 to finally get here.

I've recently turned one of my co-workers on to the show and he has been watching the DVDs. He was planning to watch Season 3 over the weekend so I'm looking forward to his reaction to things like Sal's firing and also the lawnmower scene.

BTW - My favorite part of that episode is how the guy who after the guy loses his foot, the British owners say something about how it's too bad, because he was a good accounts man. It's as if without a foot, he can't think or deal with clients ever again. What's he going to do, go set in a home for the rest of his life.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I just rewatched the whole thing because I got Mr. Wire 9 into the show and he had to catch up. That lawn mower scene is crazy. I started cringing just knowing it was coming up!

And yes, I'm counting the days until Season 4! Aren't we all?

Speaking of which, are there any men who like/feel sorry for/understand Don? My hubby hates him with a passion. I, on the other hand, dislike Betty intensely (but love her clothes!). Are we weird?

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Don and Bets

Wire9Vintage said:
I just rewatched the whole thing because I got Mr. Wire 9 into the show and he had to catch up. That lawn mower scene is crazy. I started cringing just knowing it was coming up!

And yes, I'm counting the days until Season 4! Aren't we all?

Speaking of which, are there any men who like/feel sorry for/understand Don? My hubby hates him with a passion. I, on the other hand, dislike Betty intensely (but love her clothes!). Are we weird?

I like Don of course. I don't agree with him some of the time but I like him. I agree with you on Betty, the 'Main Line brat'/ice princess who doesn't like her own children (Don genuinely loves them) except the baby she named for her father. But January Jones' Grace Kelly looks fit the period's fashions.

Who else was surprised to see her cry about Kennedy? I thought she would have been a staunch Republican. Pete's liberalism in that episode didn't surprise me; he's a limousine liberal.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm not going to lie...
I've just started watching the show, but I am on season three and I have to say, having watched them all recently, Jon Slattery's Roger Sterling has the best damn lines in the show... I'm serious.

Has anyone ever felt that while watching a film or show that an actor is having so much fun that you're jealous?

Yeah, I am every time I see Slattery on the show, but I still love the character!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Roger Sterling does have great lines in the show, he's a great character. lol Also, the best dressed guy on the show I think.

425.slattery.hamm.madmen.122007.jpg

john-slattery.jpg

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Who else was surprised to see her cry about Kennedy? I thought she would have been a staunch Republican. Pete's liberalism in that episode didn't surprise me; he's a limousine liberal.

I think the simple loss of a respected president in office (and during a very tense phase of the cold war, no less) was so scary and morale-shaking to people that grief crossed political lines. And the whole liberal/conservative culture war didn't really start till later in the decade.
That's how I understand it, at least.

Can't wait till MM comes back. Just started watching the whole run again a couple of days ago, each time I see it I catch some new nuance to the dialogue or find some other little detail to get excited about.
And Joan just gets easier and easier on the eyes ;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re Betty's response to the Kennedy assassination:

Don't forget that Jack Kennedy was also young and handsome, with little kids, and very much the embodiment of Don and Betty's generation in a way that no previous president in their lifetime had been. Though most of the Mad Men characters (except probably Kinsey and Peggy) may have voted for Nixon in the first season, everybody came to be impressed with the Kennedys. Their glamour and youth, their embracing of the arts and fashion, and the way they came across on television, created a new and different relationship with the populace.

And don't forget that Betty the Main Line brat could easily identify with Jackie the American aristocrat - and clearly recognize Don in her brilliant, charismatic, (rumored to be) unfaithful husband.

BTW, I was about Sally's age in 1963: the show got the overall feel and emotional response to the events EXACTLY right.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doctor Strange said:
And don't forget that Betty the Main Line brat could easily identify with Jackie the American aristocrat - and clearly recognize Don in her brilliant, charismatic, (rumored to be) unfaithful husband.
Was JFK's philandering on the average American's radar back then?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Not to the general public. But many among the press and power brokers knew, and vague rumors swirled in some circles.

Anyway, it probably wouldn't come as a surprise to men of the world like Roger and Don... or wives like Mona and Betty who had been burned by their own unfaithful husbands.

(Of course, minus the hypocritical, puritancial American stance on the subject, it was obvious. More-mature-in-this department Europeans expected their leaders to have mistresses, as it's part and parcel of the same human nature that pushes alpha males into positions of power.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou