Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Thurston Howell

New in Town
My Mad Men Predictions (Not Too Serious):

Joan: Widowed after fool of a husband gets killed in SE Asia;

Betty: Marries Henry Francis. Still not happy. He's not rich enough;

Don: Still tons of fun;

Jane: Suicide. She's already crazy, and Roger made a reference to suicide on his daughter's wedding day;

Roger: Hooks up with Joan. They were always meant to be. Maintains power position.

Pete: Chronically unhappy with Trudy. Becomes more like Don over time.

Trudy: Eventually realizes Pete's a Cad, but tries to reign him in. Doesn't leave.

Peggy: Continues sporadically to see Duck, but drunkenly has an affair with Don, since he's either divorced, or chronically estranged. Matures in her job position, as well as her philosophy on womens' socio-political issues. Maybe rekindling "relations" with Pete.

Pryce: Divorce from chronically unhappy wife (who returns to England...thankfully).

Carla: I'd like to see more of her for a change.

Freddy: I'd LOVE to see him back. Great character.

Paul: Joins a nudist colony, but begs himself to SCDP.

Cooper: Stays the same;

The TV Guy: who knows?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mad Men trivia.........

The actress who plays Roger Sterling's wife on MM is in fact his real life wife.Talia Balsam (Mona Sterling) is the daughter of Oscar winning actor Martin Balsam and the former wife of George Clooney. Who knew!?!? Who cares.......

mona_roger_ep_8.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Joan - I think you are right about Joan and her husband. He's a tool, won't be sad to se him go.

Sal - I don't know how, but I hope he gets to come back. I loved the complexity of his character.

Peggy - not so sure about an the affair with Don. Maybe Pete will factor in there somewhere but only if he has left Trudy.

swinggal

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
Did anyone follow the previous season on Itunes, was each episode made available for download when the it debuted or was it all at once at a later date?

This will be the only way I can watch the show so I must know!

I just download it online the day after it airs in the US. I watched the first 2 series 2 years before they were even on TV here in Oz. Is on TV on Sunday in the US I have it by Monday to watch :)

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Thurston Howell said:
Peggy: ... Maybe rekindling "relations" with Pete.

Nah. She learned her lesson. He's an SOB and too dweeby for 'girls like bad boys' to work for him consistently like it does for Don and Roger.

Tiller

Practically Family
Those who know me know my hatred for the late 60's and the 70's
(1960's-1970's if your still in the dark ;) ). And despite some people who enjoyed living threw that time frame (like many great people on this forum ;)) I have absolutely no interest in seeing this show go in towards that era. Their has been enough idealization of that awful time, and I don't want to see my favorite show fall for it :p, but it seems likely....

According to this interview, Draper will die in either 85 or 86, and it possible that we will be seeing the characters as they leave the final aspects of the Golden Age. Personally I wonder if the show will end with Draper being something of an idol for the 80's yuppie class, that doesn't quite live up to the original. :p

If the show does head for different eras, I wonder when they will have Bert Copper die? Will Pete be drafted? What will Don's son become? Will Sally surprise us and not become a flower child (maybe because of her love of her Grandfather)? Will Betty, and Henry Francis be involved with the Ford Administration (since Francis works for Rockefeller Ford's VP)? Will anyone care if they are lol? And for me anyways the big question.....

What will the sum of Don Draper/ Richard Whitman's life be?

As far as the upcoming season for me it will be interesting to see how Don is going to deal with the divorce. Since he is once again a single man, will he enjoy a bachelor lifestyle, or will he long for the married life once again?

Personally, I'm just hoping the series in the end doesn't disappoint me.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
swinggal said:
Yeah, maybe. I can't see her with Don though either. She knows what he's like.

Nor can I. She's literally not his type. He's attracted to tall, graceful people like himself.

Great post, Tiller.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Peggy...

swinggal said:
Yeah, maybe. I can't see her with Don though either. She knows what he's like.

Peggy is becoming a female version of Don in a man's world. Plus she's hitting that man's world just at the right time with the liberating 60's around the corner. She 'will' use men as commodites just as men have tradtionally done so to women, that is part of her revolution. Wham-Bamm-thankyou-Sam!! she is already developing her powerbase and network of people who will further her professional persuit of power. Peggy, will go far.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Peggy is becoming a female version of Don in a man's world. Plus she's hitting that man's world just at the right time with the liberating 60's around the corner. She 'will' use men as commodities just as men have tradtionally done so to women, that is part of her revolution. Wham-Bamm-thankyou-Sam!! she is already developing her powerbase and network of people who will further her professional pursuit of power. Peggy, will go far.

Well put. I'd been thinking she's weirdly modern that way, using men like that. Unusual but probably not unheard of in cultural-'50s NY including the wild world of Mad Avenue where I imagine behind closed doors anything went.

Tiller

Practically Family
Since we have the Salon view here is the National Review view. Written by Natasha Simons. Now I don't agree with everything that is stated, but I think it does explain how some of us are excited to see them leave the final stages of the Golden age, well others are dreading it.

Mad Men the Parodox of the Past.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
Since we have the Salon view here is the National Review view. Written by Natasha Simons. Now I don't agree with everything that is stated, but I think it does explain how some of us are excited to see them leave the final stages of the Golden age, well others are dreading it.

I've read all three articles - great perspectives. Thanks for sharing them, all.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Tiller said:

I'm dreading leaving the golden age but there are parts of the later 60s I love too and I'm looking forward to see how the characters adapt or don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany