Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Roger's position on the Japanese was so in character. A few seasons back he mentioned not having much regard for Freddy's military service til he found out that Freddy had killed many Germans. Freddy shrugged it off as most vets would. I wonder if Roger had actually seen any combat.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Roger did mention in season three after that British guy lost his foot, that "it's like Iwo Jima out there." and in my favorite part, when Harry nearly passes out as they clean the blood from the window, Roger doesn't bat an eye.
He just says "sit down sissy mary, you're pale."

And he did mention a lot of people in this episode that he'd known and lost.

I wanted to add this:

I was watching AMC's little blurb on the suits of Mad Men, and they had the costume designer and this annoying guy from Banana Republic talking about the suits he's designing. He kept cutting her off, and talking about these new suits BR is making, I usually don't do this but I was shouting "LET HER TALK!" at the monitor. I don't care about BR suits, I want to know about the suits that are used in Mad Men. Oy!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Mr Vim said:
Roger did mention in season three after that British guy lost his foot, that "it's like Iwo Jima out there." and in my favorite part, when Harry nearly passes out as they clean the blood from the window, Roger doesn't bat an eye.
He just says "sit down sissy mary, you're pale."

And he did mention a lot of people in this episode that he'd known and lost.

I wanted to add this:

I was watching AMC's little blurb on the suits of Mad Men, and they had the costume designer and this annoying guy from Banana Republic talking about the suits he's designing. He kept cutting her off, and talking about these new suits BR is making, I usually don't do this but I was shouting "LET HER TALK!" at the monitor. I don't care about BR suits, I want to know about the suits that are used in Mad Men. Oy!
Yeah, BR is pretty gay I wish a more manly, traditional and qualified company would sell Mad Men suits, like Brooks Brothers or J Press, Hart Schaffner Marx?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
habberdasher said:
I wish a more manly, traditional and qualified company would sell Mad Men suits, like Brooks Brothers or J Press, Hart Schaffner Marx?
You obviously haven't read this entire thread or you would have seen this.

habberdasher said:
Yeah, BR is pretty gay
It appears that the Lounge demographic is getting younger.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
habberdasher said:
Yeah, BR is pretty gay I wish a more manly, traditional and qualified company would sell Mad Men suits, like Brooks Brothers or J Press, Hart Schaffner Marx?

Brooks Brothers did offer a limited edition Mad Men suit last year, designed by Janie Bryant.
Its sold out now.
Im hoping she'll take over the Black Fleece line.

Tiller

Practically Family
MrBern said:
Roger's position on the Japanese was so in character. A few seasons back he mentioned not having much regard for Freddy's military service til he found out that Freddy had killed many Germans. Freddy shrugged it off as most vets would. I wonder if Roger had actually seen any combat.

I think Roger has seen combat, the sight of blood barely made him blink. His arrogance, and anger, is how he deals with it. That and his heavy alcohol drinking.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Updated Beehive for hipsters

slideshow of the current beehive incarnation

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/08/24/fashion/20100825-skin-slideshow.html

full article
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/fashion/26Skin.html

Z-SKIN-C-articleInline.jpg

Bingles

A-List Customer
MrBern said:
Now that made me laugh. You dont hear that term much anymore. A couple years ago, the father on Everybody Loves Raymond used that epithet, which was very appropriate for his generation.

Let's remember that terms like "sissy mary" may have been appropriate for the 1960's... but it's prejudice now. And perhaps we could move away from terms like "pretty gay" too.

Just saying.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Bingles said:
Let's remember that terms like "sissy mary" may have been appropriate for the 1960's... but it's prejudice now. And perhaps we could move away from terms like "pretty gay" too.

Just saying.

I couldnt agree more with you, which is why I referred to the term as an epithet. The term is abusive.

And just to be clear, I never posted or commented on the expression 'pretty gay'.

Bingles

A-List Customer
MrBern said:
I couldnt agree more with you, which is why I referred to the term as an epithet. The term is abusive.

And just to be clear, I never posted or commented on the expression 'pretty gay'.

Not directed at you, Mr. Bern... just in general. *tips hat*

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tiller said:
I must be honest, I did enjoy watching Peggy put the hippie-wannabe nudist in his place. lol
While I'm not really attracted to Peggy...something about that scene made me want to jump her....:eek: But in a respectful manner.....

MysteriousRed

New in Town
I watched this when it first came out became busy with schooling..

And, now, I want to watch all the episodes and get back into this lovely drama!

I sha'll be collecting the seasons soon.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
I must be honest, I did enjoy watching Peggy put the hippie-wannabe nudist in his place. lol

That was pretty darn awesome.

And oh boy. Looks like Don had a blackout from the drinking. Didn't even remember the second dame!

He's about to hit rock bottom...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Yeah, that's interesting about Don's break down, you think he's going to totally crash and then he whips himself back up to a standing position. Funny that.

And I love the comparison between Jane's Cousin pestering Don for a job (with almost no talent) and the flashbacks to Don pestering Roger for one. I loved every second of it... plus it was nice to see them in some different suits. The peaked lapels, fantastic.

Favorite lines:

Roger: "Hardy was so mean to Laurel, I hated that... why am I talking about silent movies?"

Joan: "You've gone from lubricated to Morose... goodnight." .

Roger: "Jesus, will you leave me alone?"
Don: "You told me to come in."
Roger: "The hell I did."
Don: "You hired me."
Roger: "What? When?"

Oh and MysteriousRed, welcome to the lounge, we're glad to have you here. I'm going to ask, what makes you mysterious?

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
article-1307300-0AF7DE62000005DC-802_634x694.jpg

Quite the décolletage on the gown worn by Ms. Jones.

Well, it looks like she pinned on the taffeta curtains and just climbed outta bed..eh, that hair....hey, Madonna called, she wants her 80's cones back!
Now Ms. Moss looks SO classy! and Ms. Hendricks'...she could probably make even those taffeta curtains look good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko