Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wire9Vintage said:
Anyone else knocked out by last night's episode? I thought it was the best of the whole series. So is Peggy Don's new Anna? Stands to reason.

Just wow on this ep...

COMPLETELY agree. Amazing episode. I love Don and Peggy's relationship.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have watched and rewatched that episode and it still knocks me for a loop.
How full circle did it come? I could not believe it. And I agree the Peggy and Don are now very much connected on so many levels. And it's good. And I like that Peggy asks him about his heavy drinking.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
You don't like his voice? I can picture him being that voice. I mean look at the Carousel scene from Season One. I wanted to buy one of those things and the haven't been made for years!

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
You don't like his voice? I can picture him being that voice. I mean look at the Carousel scene from Season One. I wanted to buy one of those things and the haven't been made for years!

I agree! Richard Thomas did a fine job but... Don Draper.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes, it's really interesting how they're exploring the generation gap of this time... a big gap.

I also have to say that I appreciate that they aren't just leaving the issues of drinking, smoking, sexism, and to a much lesser extent (on the show) racism to just be there with the idea that "that's just how it was at that time," implying that there was little questioning of the problems of the time.

Sure, it was "just how it was," unless it was you suffering from it, in which case it was quite painful. They are touching on that, making for a rich evaluation of the era. Even as cool as it was in so many respects, it kinda sucked, too. Just like today, and any other time you want to look at. Folks ain't nothing but folks, after all. And for one more truism, there isn't anything new under the sun.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Still loving this series!

The relationship development between Don and Peggy is really making things interesting. I love Lane - he adds just the right amount of quirky humor. Betty and new spouse drive me batty.

Also, I know Roger's a jerk, but I'm still a huge fan. lol

Jan

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
I have watched and rewatched that episode and it still knocks me for a loop.
How full circle did it come? I could not believe it. And I agree the Peggy and Don are now very much connected on so many levels. And it's good. And I like that Peggy asks him about his heavy drinking.

I'm pretty sure Jon Hamm originally did voicework, and that's how Matthew Weiner picked him up?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I thought it cute that Don's new paramour, Dr.Faye Miller, talked at dinner of knowing some wiseguys.....

images.jpg

I think Cara Buono is the first actor that Wiener has hired from his former show, the Sopranos.

sopranos114.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
My goodness, is that her? She looks very different. Huh.

That episode, while not my favorite, was very fulfilling none the less. I think all of us who were collectively yelling at Draper to knock it off sighed with relief... now watch them swing the wrecking ball.

swinggal

One Too Many
I liked last weeks ep. Had a different edge to it and the whole Peggy/Joan thing was interesting. The whole idea of having to be so careful as to how you are perceived as woman in a position of power in the 60s is quite sad.

In todays world I would have done exactly what Peggy did and fire the guy - so it didn't seem out of place to me, her doing that. But then, when you see Joans reaction to what Peggy did, you have to readjust your thinking to another time - and yes, I can see how Joan would be seen by others as 'just a secretary' who complained to her boss. Glad things have changed!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes, there is a lot made of the changing times for Don and Roger, et al, but the changes for the women, especially as explored in last night's episode, are important, too. It was ALL about the ladies, including poor Sally.

Just have to say, I loved the scene where Don brings Sally out to Betty, and the women stand behind him (but are really behind Sally).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That was beautifully staged. Yes, the whole episode revolved around the women and their frustration with their positions, from poor Miss Blankenship to probably-rushing-headlong-into-the-incipient-youth-revolt Sally. And can there be any question that Peggy is going to be right there at the birth of the Womens Lib movement?!? She's looking forward and imagining the future in a way that poor Joan can't... That great final shot of Joan, Peggy, and Faye in the elevator - three women confronting the mid-sixties confusion very differently...

And I predict that Megan is going to ascend into a more significant character (but let's hope that she doesn't end up another sacrificial lamb like Allison!)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes, it's great how they're unfolding Megan. She is attractive to a variety of people (remember the hipsters coming to look at her?), but is a kind person to everyone. I look forward to seeing what they do with her. Her looks are so much like Jane's, too. But she's no Jane.

And I almost forgot the "Mrs. Butterworth's rum" on the French toast ("not bad..."). The details are almost the best part of this show!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
1. Roger & Joan just belong together. That's all there is to it.

2. Ms. Blankenship... nooooo!!! She added so much quirky humor. Very sad to see her go.

3. I don't care for Dr. Miller.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:

2. Ms. Blankenship... nooooo!!! She added so much quirky humor. Very sad to see her go.

LOL. I agree on all three!

Another good episode. I really loved to see the interaction between Sally and her Dad. I am so glad Don took some time to spend with her. Poor girl. Has to go back to Mrs. Frigid.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
I wish this show would have started in '55 rather than '60, because it has moved into a time period I really could care less about. Even though I will most likely continue watching the show the rest of the reason, I probably should have watched Dial M for Murder instead last night.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fortworthgal said:

I was happy to see them together too...
Ms. Blankenship will be missed. Mostly it seems by (former flame?) Bert Cooper.
And I don't like Dr. Miller either, but she seems a good fit for Don.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21