Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Tiller

Practically Family
DetroitFalcons said:
I wish this show would have started in '55 rather than '60, because it has moved into a time period I really could care less about. Even though I will most likely continue watching the show the rest of the reason, I probably should have watched Dial M for Murder instead last night.

Agreed. I get tired of the whole "the world was horrible before Woodstock" narrative. One of the original reasons I was attracted to Mad Men was that it showed strong women making it back in the supposed dark ages of Eisenhower's America. Now it seems we are entering the period where everyone is going to be declared a victim.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
DetroitFalcons said:
I wish this show would have started in '55 rather than '60, because it has moved into a time period I really could care less about. Even though I will most likely continue watching the show the rest of the reason, I probably should have watched Dial M for Murder instead last night.

I agree, too. I'll still keep watching it, though, because I find the characters intriguing.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I watched every season until now faithfully, but never got into this season and have only seen one episode. It's funny, but I don't find I miss it. Real life is stressful enough without having to deal with Betty Draper.

-Dave

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Tiller said:
Agreed. I get tired of the whole "the world was horrible before Woodstock" narrative. One of the original reasons I was attracted to Mad Men was that it showed strong women making it back in the supposed dark ages of Eisenhower's America. Now it seems we are entering the period where everyone is going to be declared a victim.
So true man too many people forget pre 69 stuff and how beautiful things were. I love both eras, most of history really, I got strong emotions for every time, even the early 90s!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
habberdasher said:
So true man too many people forget pre 69 stuff and how beautiful things were.
Well, it was certainly less crowded. US population is up by 100 million since '69. :eek:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Guess they had a little too much free love...

I couldn't help it, I was really sorry to see Ms. Blankenship go, she was such a wonderful character and even Don had grown used to her. The delay on the intercom? Priceless.

Favorite line in the episode:
Cooper: A three letter word for a flightless bird.
Ida: Emu.
Cooper: No it starts with an "L"
Ida: The hell it does.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Another great episode last night. I thought Don's whole world was about to come crashing down there for a second.

And I hope Lane stands up to his cruel, abusive father. Wow.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
So, we are to believe that Don never considered the potential problems of working with a defense contractor?

On a separate note, I'm keeping an eye out for old guys today. lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I totally buy that Don never considered the defense security issues. He's lived for so long as Don Draper with no problems, even publicly appearing in magazines and newspapers, and at awards shows. He's well known, mingles with high profile people, and he's never run into any issues thus far. It probably never even entered his mind that they would do a background check. He got too comfortable.

I was a little surprised that Don killed the $4 million account just to protect his own skin. I felt really badly for Pete during the partners' meeting, having to take the fall.

I knew Joan was going to end up pregnant from her encounter with Roger. We didn't get all that info several episodes back with her ceasing birth control for nothing, ya know. I'd love to see Roger dump boring ol' Jane and profess his undying love for Joan, but I know I'm dreaming here.

Also, I was taken aback by Lucky Strike, and Roger then keeping his trap shut about it to everyone else. I do wonder what he has up his sleeve for the 30-day limbo period.

AmateisGal said:
And I hope Lane stands up to his cruel, abusive father. Wow.

Same here! I was thrilled to see Lane gettin' a little love. Then it all came crashing down with the whole "cane across the forehead" from his dad. Urgh.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Here's a question: did Joan go through with the abortion? Given her longing for a child and the possibility that her husband might not return from Vietnam, maybe she DID keep it...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't think she went through with the abortion. But they left it pretty ambiguous, so I won't be surprised either way.

I'm a bit concerned about Don having revealed (part of) his secret to Faye. What's she going to do with that information when their affair inevitably fizzles? And what about her "two-bit gangster" father? This show is loaded wth scary dads... Lane's is a monster.

And it was nice to see Sally have a moment of joy for a change. (But can we safely assume that Don actually took her to the Beatles concert?) Even Betty seemed a bit softer in this episode after this.

Lots of bad news in this episode: things are clearly coming to a head as we reach the finale in just (sob!) three more episodes!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I too detected a hint of softness between Don & Betty on the phone call following the G-men visit.

I don't think Joan went through with it, but my husband thinks she did. If not, I'd love to see how she's going to 'splain that one to the husband.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I'll go out on a limb here...

I think Joan did not go through with it.

I think Don is going to do something silly in his stress, probably with Megan (did you see the lingering look he gave her?), which will lead to something going on with Faye (that will be ugly).

We saw in the last episode that Don has a little gang of women who are there for him, including Joan and Peggy. No matter what. Ultimately, Betty may want him to "die," but she doesn't want the father of her children (and her own former husband) to be wiped out in an ugly legal thing. That's just too embarrassing.

No idea what Roger is up to, but I'd love to see that Lucky Strike guy hit by a bus! Blech.

Of course, I could be WAY off... there's little luck in predicting with this show. And yes, we only have a couple of weeks left, no doubt being left in pure agony for months on end until season 5!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wire9Vintage said:
I think Don is going to do something silly in his stress, probably with Megan (did you see the lingering look he gave her?)!
If he so much as touches that sweet young thing!!!!! :rage:

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I loved Don's panic attack, it was great to see him really lose his cool. I don't know why he told Faye, that could indeed backfire. I'm not a fan of her.

Don always seems to go to the brunettes when he wants to run away.
He wanted to use his bonus check to run off with the bohemian girl, he asked Rachel to run off with him, he was set to leave with the teacher when Betty came home early. Maybe that's why he was looking at Megan.

Loved Sally's reaction to going to see the Beatles (I guess they couldn't get a sound clip of the real Beatles for the song at the end of the show) I'd love to see Don with Sally at the concert - smoking, grimmacing at all the girls screaming!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
If he so much as touches that sweet young thing!!!!! :rage:

I agree! He better not. Gad. I couldn't believe that at the end. Looking at her like he would a steak dinner!

I admit, I was surprised Pete actually didn't let Don fall on his face, either.

And I really, really was hoping Roger would have supported Joan better than he did. He's starting to lose control of his world, too.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I too detected a hint of softness between Don & Betty on the phone call following the G-men visit.

I don't think Joan went through with it, but my husband thinks she did. If not, I'd love to see how she's going to 'splain that one to the husband.

I just have a feeling ol' hubby isn't going to come back from Vietnam...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Even if Greg does come back from Vietnam (without a major injury), he's going to be so traumatized that he won't do the math: he'll just be thrilled to see Joan and the baby. (If there is a baby.)

Somehow Don's look at Megan at the end didn't creep me out as much as the rest of you. He's now (too) involved with Faye, and he won't break his own workplace rule again unless he descends into another deep drunken funk. He knows he really messed up with Allison, and that Megan is too good to lose... if only for her kindness to Sally last week and her utter sweetness and desire to be a great secretary. (You know, it's a coup for her - quite a promotion from receptionist to executive secretary to the most important person in the firm.)

Anyway, let's hope that he learned something from the Blankenship experience! (Also, I think Faye is going to turn out to be a lot harder to handle than Don is used to: she's VERY sharp and self-possessed.)

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I saw Don looking at Megan in the last scene, and when the music started to play thought "Oh no, he's going to ask Megan to go to Shea Stadium instead of Sally".

THAT would send her far around the bend. How could he be forgiven if he does? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana