Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

cotillion

New in Town
fortworthgal said:
Don is a very handsome man, but there's just something about Roger. I have a crush. lol

Roger might be a total wanker but he does the whole wanker thing with such style its hard not to like him ;)

Tiller

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I like Abe and Peggy together; I still don't like Don and Faye together.

Is that what that punks name is? I can't stand "Abe". I hopethat he gets drafted and killed in Nam, or runs off to Canada and never shows his face again. I just hate that character. He is worse then Stan, neither one brings anything to the show.

swinggal

One Too Many
I think Joan could be pregnant too...just don't know how she would explain it to anyone.

Meagan and Don - I KNEW that would happen. That was just too predicatble sadly. He really is a total cad. But then again, she wanted it too and came on big time. I guess Megan doesn't know about faye though...only Pete does. Maybe she would not have approached him that way if she knew.

Pete needs to tell Don to go blow and get American Aviation back. I think that might come up again...as well as the Honda deal.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Defence Contract and Don.

Don pannicked [huh] (which is understandable). But, I reckon if he'd kept his head, the FBI security screening would have ok'd him anyway and they would have clinched the contract (they so dearly 'now' need).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
cotillion said:
Roger might be a total wanker but he does the whole wanker thing with such style its hard not to like him ;)

Oh, definitely - he's witty and fun. You can't help but love the guy!

Don is handsome, but I do not understand his mystical power that causes women's panties to fly off every time he walks into a room.

PADDY said:
Don pannicked [huh] (which is understandable). But, I reckon if he'd kept his head, the FBI security screening would have ok'd him anyway and they would have clinched the contract (they so dearly 'now' need).

That's my feeling as well. Pre-internet, I bet he would have passed the check just fine. I mean, he'd gotten that far without being flagged. I suspect we haven't heard the last from North American Aviation and Honda.

Also, was it just me or was Trudy's mother a royal bee?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
That's my feeling as well. Pre-internet, I bet he would have passed the check just fine. I mean, he'd gotten that far without being flagged. I suspect we haven't heard the last from North American Aviation and Honda.

But wasn't that why they put the brakes on...because his application HAD been flagged?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I thought Pete said, "The good news is you haven't been flagged."

My understanding was that Don just went into extreme panic mode and pulled the plug on the deal.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Wow, I was very dissapointed in Roger and the way he dealt with the whole thing. I thought when Lee Garner told him in the last episode and we saw him calling folk he and the others were going to pull through... but then he did nothing!

And then he did even more nothing.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I thought Pete said, "The good news is you haven't been flagged."

My understanding was that Don just went into extreme panic mode and pulled the plug on the deal.

Oh - I thought he said he HAD been flagged and that they would stop the investigation if they dropped the account. Hmm. Now we have a mystery!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
Oh - I thought he said he HAD been flagged and that they would stop the investigation if they dropped the account. Hmm. Now we have a mystery!

Dangit, now one of us is going to have to re-watch that episode. lol

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
It was hadn't been flagged, with the suggestion that if it was dropped, there would be no further looking at the requests by the government.

I don't get the whole Megan thing. Is she up to something? Has she been angling all along? And, of course, Faye is not the kinda woman to handle that ummm... quietly.

And what about Sally? I need updated on that storyline... The last we see is her happiness, but we don't know how therapy is going, or what is the deal is with creepy Glen (is that the right name?)!

Jan

One of the Regulars
I think Megan is going to try and sleep her way all the way to the top, and possibly use it against Don.

And Dr. Faye might backstab Don at some point...

SPECULATIONS, the fun part of these kinds of shows.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I haven't been following this series, but I was wondering if the general style of the characters has changed noticeably since the 1960 beginning year of the show? Apparently, it would be 1964 or 1965 at the current season, is that right?

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Slightly and appropriately

The Good said:
I haven't been following this series, but I was wondering if the general style of the characters has changed noticeably since the 1960 beginning year of the show? Apparently, it would be 1964 or 1965 at the current season, is that right?

It's 1965. The world hasn't gone to hell yet. The short hair, suits, thin ties and fedoras are still there. The most noticeable changes are slight ones in the women's fashions, not as conservative as the men: it's definitely the '60s now. Also, Roger's new office is very avant-garde arty and Harry Chain's let his hair grow a little long and he's not wearing pomade so he looks Beatle-y.

Fits what I've been told. A friend has a child's memory of Atlantic City the summer of '65 and it was still really the cultural '50s.

My guesses again, based partly on an interview with Matthew Weiner saying there are only a couple more seasons left: it'll end around 1970, Joan's husband will get killed in Nam, she and Roger will still hook up, Peggy will be a rabid women's-libber and Sally will run away and be a hippie, maybe going to Woodstock.

JeffOYB

Vendor
I haven't fedoraed in a few years now. I suppose it's because I haven't traveled to Hollywood/LA lately -- I really love catching up on vintage hangouts when I go out there to visit my old-fashioned relatives in the Hills. So I'm outta the loop a bit.

Mad Men has arrived while I've been gone.

...So do you think it's sparked a sizeable increase in vintage style and culture?

I was delighted when it arrived and I ate up the first season. Then it got too involuted and nasty for my taste.

Still, I'd think that it might've REALLY spurred interest in that period.

Any feedback as to things like whether visits to the Forum jumped up considerably when it arrived?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
Don is handsome, but I do not understand his mystical power that causes women's panties to fly off every time he walks into a room
You know what it is? He's the most manly of all the men on the show. He's classy and vulnerable, yet opaque and always out to win.

Finally, he's utterly taken with women, but too smooth to ever let it show.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
'Mad Men' and vintage revival

JeffOYB said:
...So do you think it's sparked a sizeable increase in vintage style and culture?

I think so, which has garnered a few complaints here from the purists and others who've been doing this before 'Mad Men'. (Who now have to explain they're not imitating the show. So far nobody's said that to me.) But in my own experience the only real fedora-wearers I see besides me now are older black gentlemen from the period wearing them to and from church on Sundays.

If it does spark a revival I hope it stays, unlike the swing, martini-bar and cigar fads about 12 years ago.

I admit the screen got me started but before I started watching 'Mad Men'.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Last night's episode: wow. We had some questions answered about Sally and Glen (and Betty is right on this one - he is a bad boy) and the letter Don wrote just blew me away.

Plus, I love that he paid Pete's share of the loan. Appropriate under the circumstances, I think.

Great, great episode. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24