Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Glad Matthew Wiener stuck to his guns re cutting back the length of the show and getting rid of key characters. Not happening now, thank goodness. But we have to wait til January 2012!!! Arrrrrrrrggg

I'm miffed about the wait too, but in the meantime I have the DVD sets to tide me over. As long as the show stays the same, its going to be worth it!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yes, MadMen wont have its usual late July Premiere. That really irked. But I'll live.
But Im not worried about the audience, both Lost & The Sopranos took a long hiatus at some point & the fans returned. Its probably a good reprieve for the writers.
-b

Arrrrrg. Sad sad that we have to wait so long for the next season. I'm glad that's back for a few more seasons and I understand why it's going to be late (negotiations etc) but people tend to forget shows when the wait is too long. True fans like us will not, but I'd hate to see it die because of that. Glad Matthew Wiener stuck to his guns re cutting back the length of the show and getting rid of key characters. Not happening now, thank goodness. But we have to wait til January 2012!!! Arrrrrrrrggg

http://screenrant.com/mad-men-season-5-amc-matt-weiner-sandy-108210/

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BTW, a re-imagining of the MadMen opening credits w/ a period soundtrack.
Untitled-18.jpg

http://laughingsquid.com/mad-men-opening-credits-unofficially-re-designed-by-paul-rogers/

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
OK so I know this show has been on for a while, but we don't have AMC... However they just listed Mad Men on Netflicks so I figure it's finally time to find out what all the rumpus is about...

Now with that said, I'd watch the show just for Christina Hendricks... but I do actually hope it's a good show just the same!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I would not have recognized her.

I believe she wears pretty serious shaping garments for the show and her red carpet appearances. I recently saw some candids of her in a swimsuit. Don't get me wrong, I think she is a beautiful woman with a nice figure, but her "everyday" figure is not all that different from women I see out shopping every day. The difference is that they aren't wearing cinching corsets and girdles to the grocery store.

Last edited:

Heather

Practically Family
I was very excited to see Mad Men put on instant on Netflix as I only just started watching it last season. I should have plenty of time to catch up, if all goes well. ;-)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Is there any idea how long Netflix will have Mad Men on instant play, Netflix? This is the reason why I've started watching Mad Men recently, and I'm actually pretty impressed. The show is almost like watching a good movie, and each episode feels like a short film. I'm almost through watching Season 1, and I'll be seeing Season 2. Still not sure if I truly like this series or not though. If there's anything I don't like about it so far, most notably it has to be the fact that there isn't really a relatively good or straight-laced figure that I can identify with. They're all pretty awful people; perverts and constant drunks. They are however, very interesting individuals, and that, along with the show's period, is a part of what's keeping my interest. Don Draper is my favorite character.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
They're all pretty awful people; perverts and constant drunks.

If thats all you can see, you have to look deeper into their characters. Everyone is putting on a mask. Joan Holloway for example: Shes the stunningly beautiful, successful office manager with an iron grip on life on the surface, but really shes a romantic who longs for marriage, secretly afraid that shes getting too old. And for a man, take Roger Sterling: Hes got money, power, women, and a name on the door. Most men think he has it all, but underneath, hes afraid hes going to lose it (he realizes his fears, as the show progresses.)

None of the characters are all bad or all good. Actually, the thing that makes them so human is their underlying sense of vulnerability (except, maybe, for Peggy Olsen.) Each character is essentially a good person, and would still be were it not for a series of events or a personality flaw they allow to take over.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't think there are any outright evil doers in the cast of characters.......nor are there any boy/girl scouts........

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm still upset about Don choosing her over Fay, yes I bloody said it. I was accused the other day by a female friend of gossiping over drama like she does... my response... "So?"

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm still upset about Don choosing her over Fay, yes I bloody said it. I was accused the other day by a female friend of gossiping over drama like she does... my response... "So?"

I knew Don wouldn't choose Fay. She's his equal and wouldn't let him get away with his shenanigans. Megan, on the other hand, might turn a blind eye. Guess we shall see...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I knew Don wouldn't choose Fay. She's his equal and wouldn't let him get away with his shenanigans.
It's been a while but wasn't there a scene where Don witnesses Megan's maternal instincts at work with his children and a light bulb seems to go off in his head. And unless I'm dreaming wasn't there a scene which displayed Fay's lack of maternal instinct. How long has this hiatus been..seems like three or four years.....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There were numerous scenes depicting Faye's discomfort with children, notably her scenes with Sally. Whereas Megan had an effortless rapport with all of Don's kids.

The clincher was the spilled milkshake during the Disneyland trip: Don and the kids instantly braced for a Bettyesque rage, but Megan took it in stride and just cleaned it up without any melodrama. This behavior was a revelation to Don (and Sally and Bobby)... and a vastly attractive difference from Betty's tightly-wound personality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner