Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Homer+Jump+Shark.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
VARIETY & other websites are reporting that MadMen will be back in one year...March 2012.
The show will air a 45minute version, but 47 minutes will be filmed for later release.

And the show is signed for just 3 more seasons. Sounds like the show will be contained to the 1960s....

And btw, other AMC shows like WALKING DEAD, have far more viewers. So thats probably why the negotiations for this award winning show dragged on so long.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/amc-and-lionsgate-announce-multiyear-mad-men-renewal-26046?page=0,0

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/03/31/amc-reaches-deal-with-mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner/

Last edited:

Tiller

Practically Family
VARIETY & other websites are reporting that MadMen will be back in one year...March 2012.
The show will air a 45minute version, but 47 minutes will be filmed for later release.

And the show is signed for just 3 more seasons. Sounds like the show will be contained to the 1960s....

And btw, other AMC shows like WALKING DEAD, have far more viewers. So thats probably why the negotiations for this award winning show dragged on so long.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/amc-and-lionsgate-announce-multiyear-mad-men-renewal-26046?page=0,0

The Walking Dead is a damn good show, but I had no idea it was getting better ratings then Mad Men.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The Walking Dead is a damn good show, but I had no idea it was getting better ratings then Mad Men.
Im not sure if MadMen ever got that many viewers, compared to network TV. MadMen premiered w/ less than a million audience and at its peak gets less than 3 million viewers. That would probably get a network show cancelled. But it wins a lot of awards.
Walking Dead is AMC's new big hit. Its gotten 5 or 6 million viewers & good critical reviews.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/amc-officially-greenlights-season-5-of-mad-men-for-early-2012-premiere/

Mad Men was AMC's first series, which put the cable network on the original programming map. Since then, AMC has successfully launched several other series, most recently The Walking Dead, which supplanted Mad Men as the network's highest-rated show.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2010/11/01/amc-original-series-the-walking-dead-garners-highest-18-49-delivery-for-any-cable-series-premiere-for-2010-424510/20101101amc01/

Last night's premiere of AMC's original series, "The Walking Dead" resulted in a 3.7 HH rating netting over 5.3 total million viewers making it the largest audience for any original series on the network. The Adults 18-49 demo garnered 3.6 million viewers making it the highest delivery for any cable series premiere for 2010.

Read more: Ratings - AMC Original Series "The Walking Dead" Garners Highest 18-49 Delivery for Any Cable Series Premiere for 2010 | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratin...-for-2010-424510/20101101amc01/#ixzz1IEp87XgL

Last edited:

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Im not sure if MadMen ever got that many viewers, compared to network TV. MadMen premiered w/ less than a million audience and at its peak gets less than 3 million viewers. That would probably get a network show cancelled. But it wins a lot of awards.
Walking Dead is AMC's new big hit. Its gotten 5 or 6 million viewers & good critical reviews.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/amc-officially-greenlights-season-5-of-mad-men-for-early-2012-premiere/

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2010/11/01/amc-original-series-the-walking-dead-garners-highest-18-49-delivery-for-any-cable-series-premiere-for-2010-424510/20101101amc01/

2 to 3 million is a lot for a cable show. To be fair, network shows don't get what they used to either. Today a top rated network show will get about 10 to 12 million viewers, when 30 years ago a top rated show like MASH got around 20 million viewers.

When Mad Men premiered it was by far the highest rated show on AMC, (and frankly put AMC back on the map) and one of the highest rated basic cable shows on TV. Most basic cable shows are lucky to get 1 million viewers on average.

Besides being the second highest rated show on the network doesn't get you canceled.

Having said that, going for a year with no new shows just might kill the thing. I mean in a year will anyone care? Either that or it will lead to much higher ratings because people will be itching for it. Its a huge gamble.

Doug

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It will actually be about a year and a half, when you consider that the previous season ended in mid-October 2010!

But us Mad Men fans are fiercely loyal. I predict that there won't be substantial falloff...

Atomic Age

Practically Family
It will actually be about a year and a half, when you consider that the previous season ended in mid-October 2010!

But us Mad Men fans are fiercely loyal. I predict that there won't be substantial falloff...

Very true.

Oh yeah I don't think they will loose the fans, but what about the casual viewers? I don't know, it will be interesting to see.

Doug

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
2 to 3 million is a lot for a cable show. To be fair, network shows don't get what they used to either. Today a top rated network show will get about 10 to 12 million viewers, when 30 years ago a top rated show like MASH got around 20 million viewers.

When Mad Men premiered it was by far the highest rated show on AMC, (and frankly put AMC back on the map) and one of the highest rated basic cable shows on TV. Most basic cable shows are lucky to get 1 million viewers on average.

Besides being the second highest rated show on the network doesn't get you canceled.

Having said that, going for a year with no new shows just might kill the thing. I mean in a year will anyone care? Either that or it will lead to much higher ratings because people will be itching for it. Its a huge gamble.

Doug

Yes, network tv gets a lot more viewers. Everybody loves Raymond got as high as 20Million at its peak. Twoand aHalf Men goes about 15 or 16 million. American idol has gone as high as 38 million.
On the flip side UPN had better ratings from wrestling than Startrek Enterprise. It sank from close to 6million to less than 3mil at the end when it was dumped.
For Cable, HBO's SOPRANOS went as high as 13 million.
The bigger the audience the better the negotiations for the show.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Yes, network tv gets a lot more viewers. Everybody loves Raymond got as high as 20Million at its peak. Twoand aHalf Men goes about 15 or 16 million. American idol has gone as high as 38 million.
On the flip side UPN had better ratings from wrestling than Startrek Enterprise. It sank from close to 6million to less than 3mil at the end when it was dumped.
For Cable, HBO's SOPRANOS went as high as 13 million.
The bigger the audience the better the negotiations for the show.

American Idol gets amazing ratings even if it were on TV 30 years ago. A peak of 38 million is really amazing, but that was the show that Elton John appeared on. The show averages about 15 million.

The problem with Star Trek Enterprise was that in many markets where it played, it was constantly preempted by local sports coverage. I know where I live, about 60% of the first run episodes aired at 11:30pm rather than its regularly scheduled time slot, because of either football or basketball games. Some nights it didn't air at all and you had to wait for the weekend rerun to see the show. As a result, its audience never knew when the show was going to air.

The other problem was that UPN didn't have stations broadcasting in every market. In fact less than half of American TV viewers were actually able to tune in to a UPN station and watch Enterprise. For example, New York City, did not have a UPN affiliate! Add to that, it appeared on a network where it was the ONLY show targeted at its demographic. Every other show on UPN was aimed at an urban ethnic audience. Of course this was a recipe for disaster for the network, and it no longer exists.

I suspect that if they had gone the syndication route with Enterprise, it would likely have done about the same numbers as Voyager.

Doug

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Enterprise had bigger problems than UPN's market penetration!

Watching-since-1966 Trek fans like myself were turned off by its lack of respect for canon, endless boring chases through caves, T'Pol of Nine, cheesy theme song, and generally blah stories. It redeemed itself somewhat in the later seasons, but it didn't matter by then.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Its gotten really horrible reviews. The Director did well with 300 and Watchmen, but this one is supposed to be surprisingly bad.
Im sadly disappointed. Watchmen was one of the best movies you'll ever see....about superheroes. ;)

I'm staying away from it myself, though I loved 300 and Watchmen. The terrible reviews of Sucker Punch also cast some doubt on Snyder being the guy to direct the upcoming Superman reboot... but with Chris Nolan producing and Amy Adams as Lois Lane (Best. Casting. Ever.), I'm still hopeful...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I'm staying away from it myself, though I loved 300 and Watchmen. The terrible reviews of Sucker Punch also cast some doubt on Snyder being the guy to direct the upcoming Superman reboot... but with Chris Nolan producing and Amy Adams as Lois Lane (Best. Casting. Ever.), I'm still hopeful...

Yeah, Im avoiding bad movies. $13 tkts are a little too much for bombs. No doubt it will be on cable soon enuff.
Incidentally, speaking of Superman reboot, I see no one here jumped on the bandwagon for JonHamm to play the next ClarkKent.
hamm_superman_mock-thumb-500x608-22776.jpg

Jon-Hamm-Superman.jpg

superman1t.jpg

sad_don_superman.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm sorry, but Jon Hamm as Superman just would not work in my mind, he is too old, he doesn't have that spark of American Idealism... and make no mistake Superman always has that boy scout-ish idealism.

I would suggest, in leau of a Superman thread, for everyone to read It's Superman by Tom De Haven. The story is set in the mid thirties when Superman was created and is an absolute joy to read.

As far as Mad Men goes, my friends and I are talking about a vintage pin-up style calender with at least one Mad Men photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland