Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

RichardH

One of the Regulars
The highlight of the last episode for me was the taxi scene where they were all wearing hats! lol
What puzzles me though, is that they're all supposed to be creative guys, and none of them has got the flair to cock it to the side just a little bit, makes no sense! :p

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Ok. Anybody else kind of hoping Don and Joan were going to get together in that bar scene? Of course, there were those flowers!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I love that Joan and Don both understand and respect each other enough to realize that such a hookup would be a terrible mistake. Joan is one of the very few women - like Peggy and Anna - that Don admires and respects sufficiently to not consider hitting on... And Joan is strong enough to not allow herself to fall under Don's sway. They've been coworkers for well over a decade by this point, and their respect and affection far outweigh their lust - though obviously, they're pretty darn impressive to each other (and us!) in that department.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I never thought Don was attractive at all until he was in the bar with Joan.... wow!
Wow what color is the sky on the planet you come from? I'm a crusty ole straight guy over 55 and even I know that Don's hotter than grits on a griddle on a Sunday in July! Never thoght I'd hear a pretty woman say that....

Worf

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I think I know what Rue means, although I did find him attractive before. There is a vast difference between handsome and attractive. Not all handsome men are attractive, and not all attractive men are traditionally handsome. Brad Pitt is very handsome, but not attractive (to me).

And yes, the way he treated Joan in that scene was amazing. I know she's strong now! And also, way to put Roger in his place, too. That was exactly the right thing to do.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't want Joan and Don to get together. I agree that they have a mutual respect, and it just wouldn't feel right. That said, if Christina Hendricks and Jon Hamm wanted to get married in real life and be the most beautiful couple ever... I'd be okay with that. :lol: I was surprised that Roger knows the baby is his. Personally I think Joan should have just taken his money and run. :lol:

I couldn't believe Lane resorting to forging the check... wonder how he's going to keep that quiet?

I feel like lately this show has been extremely slow-moving. I'm glad things are finally picking up.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Don and Joan: sizzle but done just far enough. (Who was singing on the jukebox, Rosie Clooney? Doris Day? Neither? Love it.) The show's sexiest stars' characters only slightly know each other; it happens. And she's Roger's woman, on and off; probably why she and Don never got together. Also, classic Don didn't have affairs at the office; Megan and one other secretary were the exceptions. Don doesn't want that trouble with Roger. Again by the series' end, I'm guessing around 1970, it would make sense for Roger and Joan to officially get together in their 25-year relationship and raise their son together. The Hare Krishna/bad 'Star Trek' story (dorky Harry and the nasty, crazy woman: good for not romanticizing hippie types; she seems the kind who'd follow Manson; good for Harry for trying to help Paul) was good comic relief. Wondering if/when Lane will get busted.

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seeing Don and Joan together was exhilarating. They hardly ever have any interaction so that was a thrill. I knew they wouldn't hook up. Maybe a drunken Don would have tried, but Joan wouldn't go there I don't think. The Christmas Waltz in the background made the scene even more fun.

rue

Wow what color is the sky on the planet you come from? I'm a crusty ole straight guy over 55 and even I know that Don's hotter than grits on a griddle on a Sunday in July! Never thoght I'd hear a pretty woman say that....

Worf

lol

and thank you for the compliment :eek:

I think I know what Rue means, although I did find him attractive before. There is a vast difference between handsome and attractive. Not all handsome men are attractive, and not all attractive men are traditionally handsome. Brad Pitt is very handsome, but not attractive (to me).

That's exactly right. A man can be extremely good looking, but it doesn't mean he's "attractive" to me. Don is a good example of this, because although he's handsome, he's never been my type [huh]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
That's exactly right. A man can be extremely good looking, but it doesn't mean he's "attractive" to me. Don is a good example of this, because although he's handsome, he's never been my type [huh]

I totally understand this. I feel this way about many Hollywood men today - aesthetically pleasing, yes, but they do absolutely nothing for me. Brad Pitt is the perfect example!

That said, I'll be the first to admit I think Don is beyond hot. :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I haven't seen 'this one' yet (I'll try and catch it tonight online), but you 'guys n dolls' have whetted my appetite now!

(Just realised that the English actor who plays Lane is Prof Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes movie! I really *like* his MadMen role).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh, Lane...I couldn't believe he forged the check! Surely that will come back to haunt him?

And I couldn't decide if Megan was being petulant...or just standing her ground. She is of the generation, after all, that is not going to take any more crap from men!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I really like that Megan expects common courtesy from Don in their marriage such as calling, "I'm late, had a drink with Joan, be home around x" but I think his lack of courtesy is setting the stage for her to distrust him and cause things to fall apart. She knows he has been a ladies man (from the elevator scene a few episodes ago where they talk about 'can they go anywhere and not run into a woman he used to know') and he hasn't done anything specific or horrible for her to distrust but I think I can see it coming.

That in turn I think will set him up to fall back to his old ways if she is always mad at him.

Oh Lane! I felt so bad for him and understand man's honor and all that but why oh why? Seems like if he went to Cooper, Don even Roger perhaps and explained the situation they would have fronted his bonus.

I enjoyed the display of Don and Joan's friendship very much.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Megan is very young, immature at times and insecure. The 'age gap' is just going to show more-and-more between her and Don. It's a train crash that's just waiting to happen.

Like most of you, I enjoyed the 'bar scene' with Don and Joan. They seem very connected as people.

What through me was the account for JAG-WIRE..!!! I'm sitting watching the show, thinking, "what is this Jag-Wire" company. It was only at the end that the penny dropped. It was JAGUAR, the British car company, and of course the imagery of Don being in the red Jaguar all clicked! Accents eh!! But I've never heard an American pronouce it 'that' way, it's always been pronounced to me by Americans in the UK-English way Jag-U-AR.

Oveall...a bit slow this week, but that's the ebb-and-flow of MadMen.

rue

Megan is very young, immature at times and insecure. The 'age gap' is just going to show more-and-more between her and Don. It's a train crash that's just waiting to happen.

Like most of you, I enjoyed the 'bar scene' with Don and Joan. They seem very connected as people.

What through me was the account for JAG-WIRE..!!! I'm sitting watching the show, thinking, "what is this Jag-Wire" company. It was only at the end that the penny dropped. It was JAGUAR, the British car company, and of course the imagery of Don being in the red Jaguar all clicked! Accents eh!! But I've never heard an American pronouce it 'that' way, it's always been pronounced to me by Americans in the UK-English way Jag-U-AR.

Oveall...a bit slow this week, but that's the ebb-and-flow of MadMen.

I agree about Don and Megan. I see a train wreck too.

That's how everyone I know pronounces it, including me (Jag-wire) even though I know it's wrong lol

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I never heard it pronounced Jag-U-AR until the latest round of car advertising within the last few years. Since the sixties, it was always Jag-waar here in the States - both the car and the big cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt