Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

It is my favorite parts of the show. I just haven't got it quite figured out, maybe that's why I enjoy it lol

I think they have a very special bond - almost like brother and sister, though that's not quite it, either. It's one of the best aspects of the show, IMO.

I agree 100%. I know they kinda touched base on it in a recent episode, but I don't wanna see that.

I think so too, but I hope they don't take it to the next level. I really don't want to see them in a romantic situation.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MUSIC ON MAD MEN

How ‘Mad Men’ Landed the Beatles: All You Need Is Love (and $250,000)
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/how-mad-men-landed-the-beatles-all-you-need-is-love-and-250000/

As with most transactions that involve the Beatles, that usage did not come cheap. According to two people briefed on the deal, who were not authorized to speak publicly about it, Lionsgate, the studio that produces “Mad Men,” paid about $250,000 for the recording and publishing rights to the song. That is an appropriately high price, several music and advertising executives say, since many major pop songs can be licensed for less than $100,000.

Mr. Weiner said he had been trying “for a few years” to get different Beatles songs onto “Mad Men,” but had been rejected by Apple Corps in the past.

Mr. Weiner pointed to another “Mad Men” episode from earlier this season, in which a Beach Boys song is played during a character’s LSD trip. “No one ever asked, ‘What does it cost to have that song?’ ” he said. “You think that that’s free?”
[video=youtube;w_pSCCzuU4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_pSCCzuU4Y[/video]

BTW, Jon Hamm was in SUCKERPUNCH last year. And a cover of the Beatle's Tomorrow Never Knows was in that film as well...tho I dont think HAmm was in those scenes...
[video=youtube;eKFc0Tpn1BI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFc0Tpn1BI&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

TackCollector

Familiar Face
The Francis house is Stimson Residence
1891 – Carroll H. Brown
2421 South Figueroa Street
L.A.
http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.com/2009/02/no-212-stimson-residence.html
c15.jpg
3264982151_43af94f2f0.jpg

I tracked that down and thought I'd share the link, in case it wasn't already discussed. (I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but I didn't see it mentioned.)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Well, what does everyone think? We saw Betty again last night, and I felt so bad for her then wanted to slap her. Roger seems lost (LOVED the comment to Burt at the beginning about "Sterling, Campbell, Draper, Price"!); Don is trying hard to deal with work and home (sometimes well, sometimes not); Peggy is standing her ground; Pete is...just sad.

Loved the Roger/Joan tease from Jane, too. Also read a blog post about the idea of vampires in this episode with the Dark Shadows rehearsal, Don's "stealing" from Mike, and Betty's attempt to "poison" Don and Megan "from 50 miles away."

Another really great episode, but I miss the characters we have to leave out each week..like Lane. I see him promo'd for next week, so looking forward to seeing what's going on with him since he slapped Pete around!

I thought it was WAY out of line for Betty to say anything to Sally about Anna. That was not her place and in very poor taste. She has no reason to be jealous of Don, if she's moved on with her life, like she tries to portray to the world.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I thought the highlight of this episode was Betty's reaction to Don's drop-dead apartment and her glimpse of svelte Megan. Her typically childish response - a mixture of envy, anger, regret, selfishness, and rage - was palpable.

And her classic mean-girl method of getting back - striking at Don and Megan by telling Sally to ask them about Anna for the family tree project - was beautifully subverted. First, by Megan's wise, "She's trying to poison us from fifty miles away" comment that adroitly prevented Don from firing back in anger. Second, by Don's (unusual) honesty in explaining about Anna to Sally (to the slight extent that he did explain). And finally, by Sally herself - her "They showed me pictures and said nice things about her" when Betty asked how they responded - showed her to be a student of both her parents' manipulation skills, and it really shot down Betty. Wow, nicely played.

But I was disappointed that we didn't get a moment of Sally (or someone else) actually watching Dark Shadows, with a clip of Collins family melodrama that reflected on one of the MM plotlines. I really expected that, particularly after the brief conversation about the show between Megan and her friend the waitress/actress. (Of course, that a MM episode entitled Dark Shadows premiered the same weekend as the film remake is just plain bizarre!)

Oh, and I remember that horrible NYC smog! I was only 11, but it was big news.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes. Poor Betty is the middle wife who can't hold a candle to either Anna or Megan for either Don or, it seems, her own kids. For all Don's failings, he was good to and loved by Anna and is good to and loved by his kids and Megan. Betty just does not have that ability.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I thought the highlight of this episode was Betty's reaction to Don's drop-dead apartment and her glimpse of svelte Megan. Her typically childish response - a mixture of envy, anger, regret, selfishness, and rage - was palpable.

And her classic mean-girl method of getting back - striking at Don and Megan by telling Sally to ask them about Anna for the family tree project - was beautifully subverted. First, by Megan's wise, "She's trying to poison us from fifty miles away" comment that adroitly prevented Don from firing back in anger. Second, by Don's (unusual) honesty in explaining about Anna to Sally (to the slight extent that he did explain). And finally, by Sally herself - her "They showed me pictures and said nice things about her" when Betty asked how they responded - showed her to be a student of both her parents' manipulation skills, and it really shot down Betty. Wow, nicely played.

But I was disappointed that we didn't get a moment of Sally (or someone else) actually watching Dark Shadows, with a clip of Collins family melodrama that reflected on one of the MM plotlines. I really expected that, particularly after the brief conversation about the show between Megan and her friend the waitress/actress. (Of course, that a MM episode entitled Dark Shadows premiered the same weekend as the film remake is just plain bizarre!)

Oh, and I remember that horrible NYC smog! I was only 11, but it was big news.

I think you summed it up really well. For a minute, I thought Betty was actually being a nicer, gentler person. Then she ruined it all. lol

And Sally is such a little smart mouth. I can't believe how she talks to her parents, but she is verging on teenage-hood and having a pre-teen myself, I've encountered some of the same talking-back (though NOWHERE on this level!).

Is Roger finally going to realize that he can't just take whatever he wants?

Got to see Don's petty side.

He "accidentally" left Ginsberg's Sno-Ball pitch in the taxicab, and then later, in the elevator, lies to both Ginsberg and himself when he says he doesn't really think of Ginsberg at all. And Megan had to save him from his juvenile self over the Betty/Anna/Sally thing.

Dude has his insecurities, for sure. He covers 'em pretty well, most of the time, but that cool facade is just that, a facade. But then, he's in the facade business. It's all about how you can make things appear. Interesting that Betty's new husband is in essentially the same business himself.

So, Don's feeling threatened by this hot-shot Ginsberg kid, and Peggy hasn't produced anything of note in quite a spell. And Henry feels like he's tied his star to a rock.

Where's the Reddi-Whip?

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Got to see Don's petty side.

He "accidentally" left Ginsberg's Sno-Ball pitch in the taxicab, and then later, in the elevator, lies to both Ginsberg and himself when he says he doesn't really think of Ginsberg at all. And Megan had to save him from his juvenile self over the Betty/Anna/Sally thing.

Dude has his insecurities, for sure. He covers 'em pretty well, most of the time, but that cool facade is just that, a facade. But then, he's in the facade business. It's all about how you can make things appear. Interesting that Betty's new husband is in essentially the same business himself.

So, Don's feeling threatened by this hot-shot Ginsberg kid, and Peggy hasn't produced anything of note in quite a spell. And Henry feels like he's tied his star to a rock.

Where's the Reddi-Whip?

I thought he accidentally left it in the car, too, and then I watched a recap and when one of the guys said, "You want me to carry that?", Don said, "No, we're only bringing one" or something to that effect. So Harry and (can't think of the account exec's name) knew that Don was only bringing one.

I had to laugh at the Reddi-Whip scene with Betty. Though to be fair, she IS trying hard to lose the weight and as someone who now constantly struggles with her weight (as opposed to those wonderful college years oh so long ago), I could completely empathize with her.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Amazingily intricate and complex show. It's kind of stunning how they can do what they do and be how they are when their world is litterally exploding all around them. Civil Rights, the war, assasinations the women's movement... it's all coming or already there and all they can think to do is play jealous little mind games with one another... amazing. I will say though to see Betty's petty revenge foiled by another woman and a child was pretty sweet. Ginsberg is the future but it won't be at Sterling Cooper. He'll start his own firm and run them ragged. Like Prince John, he has that "lean and hungry look". Great show.

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh Lord, I hope not!

AGREED. I hope that Don can see Betty for who she really is and how much better Megan is for him. To be honest, I really like their marriage - they are faithful to each other and (mostly) respectful (except for when he left her in the parking lot!). The fact that he listened to her when she said, "You'll let her poison us from 50 miles away?" says a lot about his character evolving.

I dunno. Interesting to see where this goes. If Don's life is stable, though, and he's not up to his old tricks, will it still be enough to keep people watching?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Does anyone else having a stinking suspicion that Don and Betty will get together again?

Not a reconciliation, but perhaps a fondness of sorts that sometimes happens between people when they are no longer married to each other. But I think he and Megan will stay together until Dan drifts away because she's moving up the ladder and he's settling in.

I really like how the writers have dealt with the actress' real life pregnancy by having Betty become overweight instead of being pregnant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace