Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Thoughts on 'Far Away Places':

Roger dropping acid: the world is starting to go to hell. Nicely done scene depicting hallucinations.

We saw it coming with Roger and Jane (age difference: same problem as Don and Megan?), but divorce after only two or three years, in the '60s? Excuse me; Roger had to sell his family's company to the Brits (and ended up losing that company and starting over) to pay for his first divorce. Doesn't seem realistic. Sure, midlife crisis and all that but this man was a WWII naval officer and ran a successful business. He's not stupid; he wouldn't blow the rest of his inheritance and income over a girl. My guess: by the show's end, around 1970, Roger and true love Joan will be together.

Great period atmosphere with the Howard Johnson's.

The Don/Megan fight: a tease/fake-out for the ladies hoping for more floor making-up sex. Critics love characters brooding and being annoying, so all's not bliss there. Still, I'm cheering for them as a couple.
You mentioned Roger as a WW2 Naval Officer, was he a naval aviator? I can't remember which season, but he mentioned something about downing a "Dinah" (A japanese twin engined recce plane) in the south pacific, and in a later episode "quizzing" an Air Force officer about aircraft. (In a rather resentful manner if I remember correctly.. I guess that scene was meant to signify inter-service rivalry or something) So my question is, did Roger at any point specify what he did in the war?

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
You mentioned Roger as a WW2 Naval Officer, was he a naval aviator? I can't remember which season, but he mentioned something about downing a "Dinah" (A japanese twin engined recce plane) in the south pacific, and in a later episode "quizzing" an Air Force officer about aircraft. (In a rather resentful manner if I remember correctly. I guess that scene was meant to signify inter-service rivalry or something.) So my question is, did Roger at any point specify what he did in the war?

Not as far as I know. I remember the episode where he quizzed the Air Force officer (a general?). The sarcastic tone was because Don or somebody else told him the officer was really just an actor.

I don't remember him mentioning the Dinah. Good memory. Maybe his ship shot it down.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just love this thread for all the insights and interpretations people bring to the show.

Don and Megan...I 'honestly' cannot see that lasting (I know, I know, I can hear some of you tutting in disbelief, but...I really can't see it being a successful and longlasting marriage due to personality and also age).

Roger has been told it's going to be an 'expensive' divorce for him (another one). But I found Roger 'very likeable' in this episode, throughout the whole thing, which was refreshing. A much more mature and agreeable man.

Peggy - well 'yes,' she is striving to take control of so many areas in her life, in what is still a male dominated world. The cinema scene symbolised this as has been pointed out.

The Michael conversation (where he says 'he' is from Mars..and there are others like him, but they just don't know it..etc). Is this a reference to 'men being from Mars' and women from venus? Or does 'he' just feel he is different from all those around him, as he does seem to see the world differently (I just don't know). Or, does he empathise with Peggy because they are both different and seeking to strive in this male/testerone fuelled environment? I'm guessing here folks, but it's fun just trying to unravel the riddles.

As ever, a GREAT SHOW.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I think maybe the Mars reference has something to do with him not knowing about his past - if he really was born in a concentration camp, then that is a lot to deal with. Dunno...just speculation. [huh]

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Don and Megan...I 'honestly' cannot see that lasting (I know, I know, I can hear some of you tutting in disbelief, but...I really can't see it being a successful and longlasting marriage due to personality and also age).

It's the 1960's and Megan will grow with the times and Don will age with the times. Bet he'll even go 'backwards' at some point and reconnect with Betty on some level (horizontal or vertical, but it will be somehow meaningful and safe for him).

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
It's the 1960's and Megan will grow with the times and Don will age with the times. Bet he'll even go 'backwards' at some point and reconnect with Betty on some level (horizontal or vertical, but it will be somehow meaningful and safe for him).

I agree except for the part about Betty. Thank God Don won't 'grow with the times'. He's 'the Don'! Hope you're wrong about Don and Megan growing apart. Lovely woman and I like Don being in love with her. Betty's a b*tch ('Main Line brat' as Don said); Don's not in love with her. That's over. Betty was the trophy blonde he was supposed to like; Megan's a brunette he really likes, like most of his girlfriends in episodes past.

Watching 'At the Codfish Ball'. I remember, as a kid, when shacking up was shocking or at least not mainstream. Fits a beatnik like Abe though. Like I said, the world I like largely still existed when I was born. Right around the time of this episode.

Nice to see Mona again. The actress is Slattery's wife but you already knew that. 1966 style looks good on her.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
What to say about last night's episode other than: poor Sally!

I loved seeing Julia Ormond as Megan's mother. She's one of my favorite actresses. And I wasn't surprised at all that she and Roger got "together" at the end, though again...POOR SALLY!

It all seems so perfect for Megan and Don, which means it's about to come crashing down...

Another great episode!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes poor Sally! But I really liked the little connection between Sally and Megan, both in the shared shopping experience and the dealing with the "dirty" men in their lives. Also liked the detail of Megan having to explain to Don why her father's crying to the grad student was wrong. Don still has some things to learn about relationships. But his skills as a father certainly are nice. Loved the comment and kiss for Sally at the table.

And the Roger/Sally dynamic was lovely (until....). As was Bobby's question to Roger: "are you the babysitter?"

Anyone else keep saying "oh no..." all through the episode like I did?

rue

Oh my God..... this episode was great! The ending made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my seat. I'm probably so wrong for saying that, but I've been in Sally's situation and couldn't help but laugh as I am now an adult and looking back at it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hmm. I think the best part of this episode was the yelling match between Don and Peggy. I continue to be surprised that Don isn't up to his old tricks. But it looks like Pete has taken over that role. Gosh, Pete is just so SLIMEY. Ugh!!!

Chaps

One of the Regulars
Hmm. I think the best part of this episode was the yelling match between Don and Peggy. I continue to be surprised that Don isn't up to his old tricks. But it looks like Pete has taken over that role. Gosh, Pete is just so SLIMEY. Ugh!!!

Completely agree with everything you said. And how about Roger's laid back attitude since his "trip"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL