Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madam Satan at the Egyptian

TM

A-List Customer
Friday May 23rd at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood: Madam Satan!

"MADAM SATAN, 1930, Warner Bros., 116 min. "Who wants to go to Hell with Madam Satan?" Epic filmmaker Cecil B. DeMille starts small with an awkward bedroom farce focusing on wealthy Kay Johnson as she patiently deals with her playboy husband, Reginald Denny, and his rebrobate pal Roland Young. But before long, Johnson has had enough and decides to become a sexy siren to try to counteract Denny’s all-too-frequent extra marital flings. As Johnson’s moral stock plummets, DeMille throws in bizarre, surreal musical numbers as well as a climactic masked ball on a zeppelin that culminates in a huge air disaster! "The second half of ‘Madam Satan’ is one of the great examples of weirdness in American pop cinema: a twilight zone wherein musical comedy meets disaster epic, all designed and costumed…with the farthest out Art Deco affectation." -- Richard Barrios; "Cecil B. De Mille's second talkie was a bizarre amalgam of his silent era domestic farces, his sinful spectacles and the new craze for musicals. He would never make another picture like this one…wait a minute, there is no other picture like this one!" – Moviediva.com More on this film. NOT ON DVD"

http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Egyptian/Pre-Code_Films_2008.htm#MADAM%20SATAN

Tony

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Wish I could go to this--it has one of my favorite movie costumes.

madamsatan.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy