Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madrid: Models Who Are Too Skinny Are Unwelcome.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wanting to send a message that models should look healthy, organizers of a major fashion show in Spain have disallowed appearances by models who are underweight. Protests from modeling agencies began immediately.

From CNN:
"The world's first ban on overly thin models at a top-level fashion show in Madrid has caused outrage among modeling agencies and raised the prospect of restrictions at other venues.

Madrid's fashion week has turned away underweight models after protests that girls and young women were trying to copy their rail-thin looks and developing eating disorders.

Organizers say they want to project an image of beauty and health, rather than a waif-like, or heroin chic look.."

Score one point for women who actually have a woman's shape! Hooray for Spain!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm All For Healthy Looking Models

Woman6.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Matthew Dalton said:
This is a story from over here that came up recently.

With it they were showing footage of some 15 year old model who was so thin her underwear fell down on the cat walk. Poor girl.

hmm regardless of how thin someone happens to be, her underwear falling down means the designer did not -fit- the clothes properly....

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
hmm regardless of how thin someone happens to be, her underwear falling down means the designer did not -fit- the clothes properly....

Would the designer supply the underwear too? My take was she'd lost so much weight her older underwear ceased to fit. In any case, she wasn't a healthy looking girl.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I remember reading an article about a magazine steering in this same direction not too long ago..I'm pretty sure it was 'Allure'. Models such as Kate Moss are more on the disgusting side than sexy, to me it screams out, 'feed me a candy bar! :p Also with teens, they're trying to copy what they see in these magazines, it's just not healthy for everyone involved.
Muscle woman: That's just wrong! :p I think a woman looks good toned, but that's just plain burly.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
while it's not good to be underweight, we have to be careful not to start labelling ALL slim girls as underweight. some people just don't put on weight easily and are naturally slim but it doesn't mean they are starving themselves.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
The part that I can't figure out, is when exactly did anyone decide they wanted their women to be extremely thin? Why does this idea still exist today?

Every man I've ever spoken to about it has told me that he'd like his girl moderately thin, but she should definitely have some fat on her. And that it wouldn't matter if she was a bit overweight, just not heavy to the point where she'd be at serious risk of a heart attack.

I suspect the thin-ness of models is dictated by the designers. Much easier to build up with undergarments than try to hide those "imperfections" and "unsightly" fat deposits. In other words it's easier for the designer to create the shape he/she desires on top of a nonexistent body than it is to do so while working with a normal body. Maybe this is utter rubbish. Just an idea. This in itself is not a problem: It comes with the job description. The side effects on young women in general and especially on the models who keep themselves at starvation level are another matter.

bk

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Dove also has an ad campaign that uses women with average figures.

When you consider that the camera adds ten pounds...really, I don't even want to consider it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
ultra thin models just seem silly to me if the idea is to sell clothing that the "average" consumer would want to buy. I would have no better idea what a garment would look like in reality than if I saw it on a clothes rack!

Honey Doll

Terry Lennox

Suspended
Run way shows are not for the average person in the first place. They're for buyers and other designers... a few rich types but that's it.

The buyers see what's hot this year, remake the clothes for average people and then the gap sells them.

Nobody wants to be average. Females want to be thinner, males want bigger. You don't have fat people on a commerical for soliflex. People want to see what the clothes might make them look like... The key word is might, if they lost 30 pounds... etc.

As to gay designers... I hardly see a connection. Gay designers of bikini's don't use ultra thin women do they? Clothes have a better drape, a better flow, a better look on thin tall women.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I'm just thrilled someone is willing to go for average build models. Thin ones are gorgeous and all but I'd rather look at clothes on women that are similar to ones I have a shot with ^_-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo