Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madrid: Models Who Are Too Skinny Are Unwelcome.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
As has been pointed out there were naturally thin and beautiful women like Audrey Hepburn,Veronica Lake, Anna Karina,etc. and the voluptous type like Marilyn Monroe, Brigit Bardot,Raquel Welch,etc. They had a nice variety back then that seems to be rather lacking now. Maybe instead of banning skinny models they ought to just try to include a little variety...:rolleyes:

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
herringbonekid said:
there have been very thin models since the late 20s.

this theory doesn't ring true to me. as has been noted already most men profess to liking women with a bit of flesh on them. and these images of women are created by the fashion industry (often gay) elite, not by most men. it also ignores the fact that people are increasingly getting fatter in the western world.

Yes, but not taken to the radical extent, nor become such an institutionalized part of our cultural outlook as I've personally seen within my lifetime. Have you ever worked with professional models? I have. Dowels for arms, sunken eye sockets and hollowed out cheeks. And many have opted for breast augmentation surgery.

Furthermore, most guys I've known have habitually judged women's desirability in terms of how close to a wire clothes hanger they looked.

Please note that I'm not talking about women who have a naturally high metabolism. They're as healthy and vibrant as anyone. The gals I'm speaking of look like walking corpses. What I find disturbing is when someone chooses to starve or mutilate themselves for the sake of fashion.

As for the theories I mentioned, they're not mine and nor am I promoting them here on this forum. They carry some cachet in certain circles and it was germane to the discussion at hand. Just some food for thought is all.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
High end fashion are costumes that are judged, shot, chopped up, and watered down into what the average Jane and Joe would wear to the mall.

These garmets look better on their intended audience, no one. Come on people, have you SEEN some of the garments that are on catwalks?

I remember a quote from a designer, Im sure she didnt coin it, "CLothes look best on hangers." If there are no obsticals like a waist, or thighs or arm holes that are too small, then the designer has less to worry about in the construction of the garment if there is no form to interfere.

Most clothing designers I know want the challenge of sculpting a garment to a figure, but few I know want that challenge if it requires extra 'creativity' (and fabric).

LD

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Matthew Dalton said:
It is kind of funny that these designers have so much sway over what is perceived as an attractive girl when they seem to mostly be homosexual males and heterosexual females.
that is interesting, my thought on it was that men that were attracted to really skinny women were really just attracted to 12 year old boys. ;)

Haversack

One Too Many
Girl Friday wrote:
"that is interesting, my thought on it was that men that were attracted to really skinny women were really just attracted to 12 year old boys"

I've made a similar observation about Hollywood's aversion to male body hair. Consider Clark Gable's famous "Look America! No T-shirt!" scene in _It Happened One Night_.

Haversack.

Alighieri

Suspended
Former Exercise Physiologist Opinion

I have two degrees in Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine. I did my major Senior Paper on "Body Image and Fashion as it relates to Self Esteem in Athletes." This gives me a good basis for this thread.

First off, Fashion runways are not where as a society we get our "fashion" We get it from TV, movies, and advertisements. There is some, though little, truth that what "walks on the catwalk, eventually walks out the door of a store." But for the most part we still look not to models, but to actresses for our fashion. Now some actresses are also waif like as well, but to a lesser extent generally. As many have expressed models are to be "walking clothes hangers." Actresses have more, though not a lot, of leeway as to their shape.

The fact is the average American woman is overweight and will eventually become obese. This is a horrid trend, driven by sedentary lifestyles and poor choices in food. This fact and societies obsession with Actresses weight have caused many girls and young women think that one of the bigest sex symbols of all times,Marilyn Monroe, was fat or at least chubby. This is disturbing as her measurements were as follows.

Height: 5 feet, 5¬? inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

Now at those measurements Marilyn would be about a size 12 dress (vintage size 14). But as I am sure the ladies will lament, her chest was the primary cause of that, not the rest of her. We really need to encourage women to adopt a more real vision of what they should look like. As society pushes the "Skinny" look, the "fat" women lose hope and give up causing yo yo dieting and generally getting fatter, and those that are close to the "ideal" starve themselves to try to get there which leads to a whole host of disorders.

Most men, and women, do not find the Waif look attractive. The majority of people find women above a size 4 and below a size 16 attractive. Most runway models are are generally 5 ft 9 in to 6 ft tall and are a very thin size 0–4 (105–107 lb for a 5 ft 9 in model). They generally have 32–35" busts, 22–25" waists and 33–36" hips. So that makes the average runway walker 10lbs lighter and 4 inches taller than Ms. Monroe.

I applaud women who stand up and say "I am healthy and attractive, even if I am not a size 0" For our daughters and wives, we as a society need to find models that are not waifs but not obese as well. Someone mentioned Ren?©e Zellweger and her weight. She was the most attractive was always when she was "heavy." She looked like a skeleton in Chicago.

Alighieri

Rosie

One Too Many
Alighieri said:
Someone mentioned Renée Zellweger and her weight. She was the most attractive was always when she was "heavy." She looked like a skeleton in Chicago.

Alighieri

Slightly :eek:fftopic:, I saw the original run of Chicago, in the dance number Roxie, there was a scene where Renee Z. turned around and all of her back bones where showing like you could see them right through the skin. The entire audience was :eek: with many gasping and some even going ewww! or yuck! The studio must have taken notice because when I saw it in the theater and on dvd after that, her back looked normal. CGI is a wonderful thing.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
skinnychik said:
True, true. If the average man preferred a skinny gal, big breasts would have to go out of style. Something about fire hydrants on the hood of a sleek vehicle...
This is where implants go into play:rolleyes:

sonsie

New in Town
Would the designer supply the underwear too? My take was she'd lost so much weight her older underwear ceased to fit.

:eek: um, they wear underwear on the runway?

GirlFriday - that photo is priceless. Heck, I'm a hetero female and I'd be checking her out, too.

sonsie

katiemakeup

Practically Family
The fashion world is it's own entity~ right now they look for models with hip size 32 in. which is sample size 2-4 now. Remember back in the 90's when it was Cindy, Naomi, Linda? They were size 6's. It keeps getting smaller and smaller. The agents now look for girls who are 13-15 yrs in age and very tall and thin. I have even worked on 11 yr olds. It's now getting to be about competiton- that's the way the trend is going. Look at Gemma Ward, the Australian supermodel who is the 'it' girl of the baby- faced models, as Kate Moss was the 'it' girl for heroin chic.

Young young, thin thin. That's what they want! But if you see with fashion trends now, everything is swinging back to retro inspired styles, same with the backlash of the skinny models- it will hopefully find a happy medium soon.

For the record, I personally find it all disturbing.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
katiemakeup said:
The fashion world is it's own entity~
Which explains the existence of Mr. Pearl, a "corsetier" who makes corsets for fashion shows and celebrity brides. Mr. Pearl has a 19 inch waist. That's right: 19 inches. And here he is:

82528df3-94b0-4423-ac3a-6c5e6de0a18.jpg

pearl.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo