Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maine Earthquake

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yep - the house shook for 20 seconds or so here.
Rather like when my wife overloads the washing machine :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Here's where it was centered...

intensity.jpg

First time for me too.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's rare but there is seismic activity there back east. We had a 4-point something back in 1986 in the Cleveland Ohio area where I was born and raised. Shocked the %$#@ out of us, as we had no idea that there were faults in the area. We had never experienced an earthquake before.
I could see the walls in the building I was in moving, and could feel the floor moving around too, as well as hear the rumble. In the first second or 2, I thought a truck had hit our building, but it lasted for about 9 or 10 seconds, just long enough for it to register that it was indeed a quake.
Turns out there is a fault that runs from somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains up to somewhere under Lake Erie. Scariest part is that there is a Morton salt mine under the lake there too.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
We had a few last year, I believe. One happened when I was in school, which I didn't feel. The second occurred when I was home. WI was watching TV with my dad at the time. We couldn't figure out if it was the AC or heater acting up. Being from Oklahoma, we decided it may have been a tornado and did what anyone in our situation would do: went outside to try to find it. The rest of our neighbors were outside as well.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
It makes me think of the one we had here on the 23rd August 2011. I happened to be home when I heard this rumbling sound and the hole house shock for 10 around seconds. I could see the walls floor and ceiling move. I had never been through one before and it was a little surreal. We ended up with a few cracks in the plaster, other than that nothing else to write home about. I later found out the epicenter was northwest of Richmond, Va., about halfway to Charlottesville, and reached up in New England. Any of you folks "Down East" remember that one also?

Last edited:

JonnyO

A-List Customer
We had gotten many reports from most of Eastern NY of shaking at work this evening. The furthest reports were coming from the NYC/LI area.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Be glad you're not in New Madrid, MO which was the epicenter of the most powerful earthquake in US history back in 1812.
That was when Reelfoot Lake was formed, located in NW TN.
The Mississippi river flowed backwards for 24hrs to fill it.
Yeah thanks for reminding those of us close enough to the New Madrid fault, that it's still there. :)
We had an earthquake in my city in 1976, but thankfully it was light enough to just knock pictures off the wall, but didn't bust sheetrock, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner