Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make-up from the Golden Era

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Most of the members here only know me from The Fedroa Lounge...but I have spent most of my career as a motion picture make-up artist. I have not shared that here but I figure that there are enough ladies here that it might be of interest.

Here is my collection of vintage Max Factor make-up:

my_vintage_makeup.jpg

I am considering doing a class/demo on Hollywood make-up from the golden era at the Queen Mary event in November if there were at least ten ladies that would be interested in attending and learning about products and techniques of the starlets of yesteryear. What do you think?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Let me think about this one.... YES!

and YES! again :)

I know my roomate who is not a lounge poster would love to come, and I'm sure Miss Vanessa will be posting on here shortly again too!

What a FABULOUS idea!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That's a pretty cool idea.
I know loveher has posted in the Powder Room looking for advice on how to achieve the Marilyn Monroe look- maybe you could also post a brief tutorial and illustrate it using some of the ladies from The Lounge.

magneto

Practically Family
Flitcraft said:
...maybe you could also post a brief tutorial and illustrate it using some of the ladies from The Lounge.
<Delurk> :)
Seconded, I would love to see a tutorial! I am passionately devoted to my trusty Max Factor Pan-Stik but would like to finally figure out how to get the Pan-Cake on without my face resembling a desert floor... :cry:

magneto said:
<Delurk> :)
Seconded, I would love to see a tutorial! I am passionately devoted to my trusty Max Factor Pan-Stik but would like to finally figure out how to get the Pan-Cake on without my face resembling a desert floor... :cry:

Are you using a natural sponge? I use pancake and and having a natural sea sponge is vital. It will not go on with a synthetic.

Yes, I read about the sea sponge on Makeup Alley.When I first got the Pan Cake I had synthetic sponges and tried it with that and it was horrid. I just couldn't see what difference the sponge would make but when I got one I was amazed! Be sure and squeeze out all the excess water. I also put it on really quickly like your painting with a water color. Then as it drys you will see it. I seal it with loose powder too to even out any sponge marks. Be sure and moisturize well before applying it, as it has a tendency to cling to any dry spots and peach fuzz. The more you do it the better it will work and you will figure out what works for you.

magneto

Practically Family
Pan-Cake help

CherryRed said:
....The more you do it the better it will work and you will figure out what works for you...
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions CherryRed (and I love your doll website!). I now have a proper sponge and new compact to experiment with. Wish I could attend the class. And it's a pity I haven't the necessary make-up accoutrements (bulb-lit vanity table, silk wrapper and endless leisure) to really perfect my technique ;)

Littleone

New in Town
Hello :) I've got a quick make-up question and figured this was a good thread to put it in :) Lipstick. I've got myself some top quality drug-store lipstick (Revlon or some such) I wore it last night with a costume and it got everywhere! Is that just the curse of red lipstick? Or is there anything I can do to keep it from smuding? Thanks Ladies!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Littleone,

Some makeup companies make lipstick that stays on when you eat/drink, etc. I know Covergirl makes one and it easily stays on 8 hours. You might be able to find a likable shade in one of those products.

ITG said:
Littleone,

Some makeup companies make lipstick that stays on when you eat/drink, etc. I know Covergirl makes one and it easily stays on 8 hours. You might be able to find a likable shade in one of those products.

Loreal Endless Lipstick in Crimson Joy is what I use. It isn't one of the 8hr ones but it has a nice matt, not over drying finish. It lasts really well too.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I have one of the Endless Loreal colors too. It feels good on, but doesn't last 8 hours on me and rubs off. But it feels silky smooth on the lips. There's a hair salon locally called Shelton's that has a product called Lip Lock that you put on your lips with a brush like what is used with nail polish. It helps to keep the color on your lips longer. I sometimes use that with my lipsticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot