Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Puggaree. Advice?

TVDinners

New in Town
I just found a very seriously awesome camel-colored hat that I intend to turn more adventure-ey by reworking the shape and folding a puggaree for it. I just had a few questions about puggarees-
First of all, where does the practice of folding a puggaree come from? Just a curiosity, what are the pugg's origins?
Second, and more importantly- Are there any folding tutorials around? I found one for folding one around a pith helmet, but I'm not certain if that will work.
Third- What should I wrap it with? Do I just use a strip of regular white or khaki fabric? Or is there a specific thing I need to get?

I will be posting pictures once this ball starts rolling! Any help from the loungers will be greatly appreciated.

Edward

Bartender
I'm on a phone at present, so limited search capability, but hunt the Lounge for threads on the Akubra Riverina, which some of us bought on special offer and 'safariised' a few years ago. This included wrapping our own pugarees. There are a couple of threads there that should answer all your questions.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
David Morgan has a replacement pug, I believe his is gray, for $5 and I'm sure you can google others in various colors and patterns.
Can you buy the material to make a decent one for that?
Just wondering. Sometimes there's a reason to pay for it.

Sam

TVDinners

New in Town
I really want to fold a traditional puggaree myself for this hat. Is the twill tape what would be traditionally used on a civilian bush hat? Also, there seem to be a couple ways to do this- one being to pleat the fabric, and one wrapping around the hat in an interesting pattern.

TVDinners

New in Town
I'm familiar with the Riverina thread. Unfortunately, I've seen the other threads regarding pugs and the links are all deceased. Actually, I'd very much like to sew a puggaree in the style of the Australian slouch pugs. I notice that they've been sewn, but I'm not really sure how that could be because they don't look pleated. Is this thread still alive?

Correus

Familiar Face
Hello everyone!

I was recently gifted a Wolseley pith helmet by my nieces. It isn't a fancy one, and has one of those 'one size fits most' liners, and the chinstrap leaves a lot to be desired. I'm going to take it to my local hatter to see what he can do about the liner and chinstrap.

Something else I'd like to do is add a puggaree. Any suggestions as to making my own, or where to buy? I know they are readily available online, but not sure which sources sell quality vs crap.

I have read the following thread,but don't quite understand Cattus Petasatus' instructions.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pugaree-or-pleated-hatband-pattern.47413/

Following are pics. First two pics are from the seller's website. Next two pics are of the one they gave me. Last pic is what I'm striving for.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 16686500__40506.jpg
    16686500__40506.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 16686500-a__82757.jpg
    16686500-a__82757.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Resized_20230811_165118.jpeg
    Resized_20230811_165118.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230811_164616.jpg