Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making Leather Jacket Videos

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I am now one million percent convinced all leather conditioners are scam.
I haven’t conditioned any of my jackets yet, guess I'm afraid of putting poor quality product on them. I'd like to use Lexol or Pecard's, but they're not sold where I live. I'll buy one of them in my future visit to US.

@Fifty150 Sorry for changing your post subject. More videos about making jackets:

I haven’t conditioned any of my jackets yet, guess I'm afraid of putting poor quality product on them. I'd like to use Lexol or Pecard's, but they're not sold where I live. I'll buy one of them in my future visit to US.

@Fifty150 Sorry for changing your post subject. More videos about making jackets:

I have done some extensive testing on different assortment of leather peaces (chrome and vegetable tanned sort) - Accelerated aging, drying, etc. - and no conditioner that I have used had any effect whatsoever in stopping or as much as slowing the degradation down. Once the leather began cracking, literally submerging the piece of hide into any leather conditioner produced no effect, other than further quickening its demise simply by drying out.

Petroleum, wax & liquid stuff like Lexol, all brought forth no advertised result. Pure lanolin had some minor effect on the overall softness but also didn't stop the epidermis from cracking.

I'll do some more testing exclusively with silicone which is something that interest me the most. But I am as of now completely giving up on leather conditioners as such & am inclined to only clean my leathers with warm wash-cloth, simply to get the salts off.

I have realized another thing; The lotions and creams and waxes all remain in the hide, doing absolutely nothing but sit there indefinitely, as they would in the canister they arrived in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot