Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making my own hat

Stoney

Practically Family
After having read through numerous posts here on the Fedora Lounge, and refurbishing a few hats, I decided to try making my own custom hat at home. Since this is my first effort I decided to start with a lightweight rabbit hat body. It should be fine to wear this summer. I purchased everything to make the hat, except the ribbon, from hatsupply.com.

My goal was to make a tall crowned, narrow brimmed hat similar to those worn by Bogart in the mid to late 1930s.

This is the hat body before it was blocked.

hatbody.jpg

The hat body wet blocked and tied.

Blocked.jpg

The brim is now trimmed and flanged. I've center bashed it for now.

Flanged.jpg

Sweatband is sewn in, stitches just above the brim line.

sweatband-stitches.jpg

The ribbon is added and the crease is changed to a squared off teardrop.

Rear-Bash.jpg

The liner is added.

Liner.jpg

The finished hat. The final dimensions are Crown 4 1/4" front, 5" side, 4" rear,
Brim 2 1/4".

Front.jpg

Oh...and a lounge pin on the bow.

Bow.jpg

And now on my head.

ItsStoney.jpg

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Bogart himself would steal that off your head!

:eusa_clap

Stoney, that is stellar work. I showed this thread to my wife and kids, it's so cool. The hat looks fantastic, and the pride you must feel at making it has to make it hard to fit! ;)

With more and more people figuring out how to make these themselves, maybe hats will come back, from the grass-roots up.

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm really enjoying this hat. I have an off size head, so I buy one size larger and most of my hats have a little padding in them to make up for the extra room.

When I made this one I fit the hat to my head exactly. It feels good to finally have one that fits properly. I've hardly taken it off all day.lol

Once you've performed all of the tasks required to clean and assemble a hat,
making one is not that difficult. You basically have to form the hat body using the block and flange, add felt stiffer, let it dry then brush the felt and give it a light sanding to remove the stray fuzz. Then all you have to do is assemble it.

As far as equipment required, there is not really that much you need to make one.

1) A hat block
2) A hat flange
3) A small steam iron
4) A sewing kit
5) Some 320 grit sandpaper for pouncing the felt after it is blocked.
6) The raw materials
7) Lots of time since you are doing this all by hand.

I have two antique blocks and two flanges that I picked up on e-bay.
You can buy new hat blocks, but they usually run hundreds of dollars each.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
:eek: :eek: :eusa_clap Simply amazing, Stoney. And it looks great on you! Bogey'd be proud.

I'm with Simon: maybe we're onto something here... blocks 'n flanges for everybody! :D

-Tofu

Mustang

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap You did a great job!

Just curious, how long would you say you spent working on it?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super job Stoney

You've done well my friend, I'm very envious. If I was able to make my own hats, I'd be thrilled to do so, the possibilities would be endless. I'm afraid to even try and replace a new sweat and liner myself. Hats off to you.....no pun intended. :D

surely

A-List Customer
Everything was just going great until that last pic. I bet you changed the d to a y for your name. :rolleyes: And please, next time get a haircut first; that little tuft on your ear is very distracting! from an otherwise job well done.:D

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Mr. Lucky said:
So, Stoney me lad, when are you gonna' start takin' orders? I have this idea...

I'll take one, please, in navy blue. I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a fedora today. :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
bolthead said:
Where do I get me 1 of those nifty little pins? :rolleyes:

Right here, Bolthead!

Stoney, you're making me feel bad. I've been collecting all the equipment and then some that I need to do the same, yet I've not gotten off my butt to give it a try yet. This may be the incentive I need to do so!

Outstanding job!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo