Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Males, do you part/manage your hair everyday?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I brush my hair every morning with a wet brush and part it at that time. Will brush or comb again if necessary, maybe once or twice. After washing will rub in a dab of VO5 about the size of a small pea. That's it.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I pomade my hair and part it usually.
I'm thinning a bit on top so even if I don't slick it back, a dab of pomade adds a bit of body to my hair.
I used to have long thick locks of hair as a teenager, and now as an adult, I can't stand having hair in my eyes, so I gotta do something with it.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I manage my hair with a No.2 crop once a week these days :) Better than a life on 'Regaine' which I tried once. In another life I'd have a Quiff :)

Last edited:

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
When I was younger, I had a lot of trouble with my hair. It's reasonably thick but very fine, with very little body. No matter what I did, it eventually ended up falling limp. About 20 years ago, I started using Vitalis. It only takes about three drops. I rub it in after I get out of the shower in the morning. I comb it while wet and allow it to dry naturally. It dries by the time I get to work, holds the way I comb it, and looks like I have nothing in it. Very nice stuff.

Cocker

Practically Family
I pomade my hairs everyday (mostly Schmiere Medium or Hard, or Reuzel Green). Rince them every morning to get rid of the exces grease, and wash 'em when nothing's left to be done (i.e. once or twice a week).

The only times I don't do them in the morning are those rare days when I don't plan to go out, or when I go to the shooting range and prefer wearing my B-1 cap to keep the brass away from my forehead!

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I use Layrite's water soluble matte finish pomade when damp. Do a simple side part. The front falls down in my face a little after a couple hours. I also have my barber edge in my part with his razor every three weeks, when I get the fade and taper refreshed.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

Just interested in knowing how many gents here use pomade/gel in the morning to part their hair. Personally, I parted mine so many times with pomade everyday last year, my hair naturally keeps its shape after I set it with a comb in the morning, eliminating the need for me to use hair products. Does anyone else do the same? I ask this because I was thinking about transitioning for a side-part haircut over to JFK's hairstyle, which is pretty much the same features with such slight changes. Nevertheless, for my fellow males who manage their hair everyday, could you please fill me in on your process every day; and if you could also perhaps recommend any good patterns to follow?

Side note: I occasionally do have to visit the bathroom everyday to do a mirror check to ensure stray hairs are in place, which is a bit frustrating. Does this come from not using pomade, or do people get the same issues with/without using products in their hair anyway? I'd like to avoid having to pomade my hair everyday again as it was rather expensive and I could remember how 'bulky' my hair used to look each day.

Thank ya!

Yes, I use just a smidge of organic pomade (many different brands) every morning and comb. I have very thick hair, so it helps keep it in shape.

Ha, yeah.... My dad did'nt develop a noticeable bald spot til he'd turned sixty.... I started thinning in my mid twenties. It's incredibly common among UK academics, for whatever reason.... combine that with Generation X losing our hair on average a decade earlier than our parents'....

I've been shaving my head cmpletely every other day for a decade now. Wouln't go back to having hair if I had the choice; if I get lazy and shave a day or two later, it doesn't feel clean any more.
Right there with you. If I do not shave every day, I feel dirty. I also do not enjoy how when pulling over a t-shirt it sticks to the stubble kind of like velcro. I have been shaving my head for 23 years as of this summer.
:D

Sonero

Practically Family
Murrays Hair Wax in the orange can. I take a break from it every so often but if it's a No Hat day it goes in my hair. I use Tea Tree Shampoo for a deep clean and the most important part of my hair care is Aveda Clove Conditioner. I can't tell you how valuable that stuff is to my hair.

I went to barbering school years ago so I know how to give myself a trim in between cuts but you cannot shape up your lines by yourself. You need someone else to do it.....unfortunately.

MitchellFW

New in Town
I have naturally fluffy hair, so I wash my hair only once and week and use coconut oil to try and tame the frizz, and then Murrays pomade to set everything in place. Takes a few minutes every morning after that, but I do have to re-wet, comb, and part my hair every morning (I apparently toss about a bit at night). I am lucky though, once everything is done I get perfect Cary Grant-esque waves.

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
My part is on the left, centered above the middle of my left eyebrow. I use a generous amount of Vitalis for everyday styling, or Groom & Clean for nights out. My cut is zero along the base, sharp fade, long on top.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
I've combed (and blow-dried) it straight back for so long it goes that way naturally. On my own I rarely use gel or whatnot, but I have a recurring gig on a TV show and the hair ladies like to slather product in my hair to knock it down some.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If I didn't beat my hair into submission every day, it would rise up, go forth, and attack small children and pets. Yes; I shampoo twice, then part and shape it a little with a brush, then use a handheld blowdryer (but not until it's bone dry).

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
Every morning! Towel-dry out of the shower, comb hair before shaving. Let hair dry during breakfast. Comb in a handsbreadth line of Groom & Clean, making sure the part is as linear as possible. Finally, use a horsehair brush to smooth everything into place, and finish dressing (tie, vest, jacket) before heading off to work.

That, and a haircut every third Saturday, keeps my haircut in line with what I wear to work (usually a suit, sometimes just flannels and turtleneck with a tweed jacket). Nobody else in my department cares, but it works for me. And what's the point of having a pointless personal standard if you don't keep to it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ