Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Those darn shades are $$$$. The ones on mine broke ages ago, and I can't bring myself to pop the $150 to replace them when I only paid $18 for the stupid lamp at auction.

Yes, I temped at a lamp store specializing in historic styled lamps and lighting. All new to look authentic type of designer stuff... The green glass shades did cost some coin!

Once in a while I'm sure they can be had for a reasonable price on eBay... they even turn up at thrift shops around here now and again. lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That's a pity...And they look so cool!!

a100714_1-01.jpg

my054.jpg

1036.jpg

...When you start looking for these, it turns out that apart from 'Double Argand', "student lamp" is another term for these. Just so you understand the difference...this is a regular Argand/Student lamp:

208_0_L.jpg

...They're so cool. Damn, now I wish I had one...

Argee

One of the Regulars
chrismak said:
What is the Machine on Spade's desk later in the film.. looks like maybe an adding machine.

It's an intercom, he uses it in the scene when he first meets Joel Cairo. It's got 5 letters across the back TELE_. I'm pretty sure that last one is an X. TELEX has been around long enough. Haven't been able to find the actual device yet.

chrismak

Familiar Face
hahaha want to sell it?

And I will check on the telex thing.. If I can find it before the house is built.. I will refurb one and hook it up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Widebrim,

You learn something new every day! I didn't know that those inkstands were mass-produced! If so, it might be a lot easier for Chris to get it. Perhaps you should sell him yours!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
Hey Widebrim,

You learn something new every day! I didn't know that those inkstands were mass-produced! If so, it might be a lot easier for Chris to get it. Perhaps you should sell him yours!

Well, you know, maybe I should get mine out and compare it to the photograph. If it is a ringer for the two, then I would consider it my civic duty to help out a fellow Lounger...:D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim, it would be wonderful if you could take some photos of your inkstand for us to look at! :)

I'm a sucker for a nice inkstand. I'm a sucker for almost every kind of vintage desk accessory...lol

Argee

One of the Regulars
The inkwells are definitely Sengbusch Self Closing Inkwells. Just picked up one on ebay myself. The hard part is the base it's sitting on.

chrismak

Familiar Face
Just picked up a HUGE score.. a ORIGINAL Hand Drawn and Inked 4 pane panel by artist Vernon Greene from his time doing THE SHADOW comic strips in the 1930-40's...

chrismak

Familiar Face
Hahaha, yeah no shadow art...I figure I might do some edits to the room on the walls you can't see when you walk in.. the ones behind you.. and put ny shadow stuff, and other crime goodies

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Wow, what a great thread. It’s most inspirational. I too am working on a classically inspired home office, centered on my Stowe-Davis desk, but my progress has been infinitesimally small since my last update in the “home office” thread: I got a Stowe-Davis wastebasket that matches my desk (albeit in a darker finish). I’m contemplating reworking it into a coat tree, however, as my wife despises lifting it and has started fitting it with ugly trash bags.

-Dave

Argee

One of the Regulars
This is everything I've managed to collect up to this point. Ashtrays have been elusive so far. Finding the carafe put my skills to the test.
4381924747_61c20322f1.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Argee said:
This is everything I've managed to collect up to this point. Ashtrays have been elusive so far. Finding the carafe put my skills to the test.
4381924747_61c20322f1.jpg

Where does one get a falcon figure like the movie?

Argee

One of the Regulars
SweetieStarr said:
Where does one get a falcon figure like the movie?

That one was sculpted, glazed, and fired by me. As for widely available reproductions, Haunted Studios had a not accurate version for years. They apparently have a new version now that certainly looks a lot closer to the movie bird than what they used to offer. Don't have any first hand knowledge of its quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112