Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon

chrismak

Familiar Face
I finally have saved enough to build a Spade And Archer Office in my basement to be used as my office.

I know Spade has a Ronson lighter,
Can anyone tell me any make or model of the other items on the desk, or in the room.

And does anyone know what the Certificate on the wall would be? PI certificate I figure.. just wonder what it says.

Plan is to recreate as much detail as I can and add Some rare signed pieces I have on the wall (cast signed poster being one).. and a flatscreen with wood frame around it to show old movies as I work.

Any help would be great

chrismak

Familiar Face
I shall I shall, I just bought a Philco floor cabinet radio for the office, and am currently converting it to play off Ipod so I can have all my radio shows play. Gotta love Richard Diamond.

But yes I will. Granted I will not have the desk as I like mine.. which has more room however I do know of a man who will make exact replicas of both desks in Spade and Archer.

I really do need more info on all pieces found on the desk of Sam as well as what the heck the certificate on the wall is.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Here is a snapshot from the movie showing Spade's desk.

maltese_falcon_1.jpg

In looking around online, the only type of Private Investigator certificate that resembles the certificate shown on the wall in this photo is actually the Pinkerton logo, as shown below.

pinkerton_logo.gif

There may be a few others. I would just experiment with Google Images to see what comes up.

I also know that the radio in the photo above is more than like an RCA Victor, circa 1947. I bought a very similar tabletop radio a few years ago (without even realizing how much it resembled the one in the photo until someone here on the Lounge brought it up).

RCA_1947_2.jpg

I hope this little bit of info helps. Be sure to post pics! And enjoy listening to Richard Diamond on your Philco. That show rocks! :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Scion,

"Richard Diamond, Private Detective" is indeed an AWESOME radio show! One of my favourites.

That looks like a pretty sharp office. Good luck to the OP in recreating it!

chrismak

Familiar Face
I am so happy.. thank you all soooo much!

I agree, there is 3 words across that certificate but Hammett did work for Pinkerton's. So he may have made one using the logo design.

As for the radio I am on it, It was in fact a RCA I believe.

anything else you guys and gals can see or come up with let me know!

Any guesses on what the inkwells are.. I have never seen ones like those with the bird.

chrismak

Familiar Face
So I had a screen cap from the first part of the movie blown up, sharpened and contrasted..

The cert is Pacific Coast University

However! it Changes to the logo of pinkertons later in the film,

Much like the inkwell with the bird on top on Sam's desk, there is a shot or two where the bird is missing.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The inkwell looks rather contemporary to the film, 1940s or thereabouts. The bird-thing in the middle looks terribly in the way, when you're reaching for your pens and inks, though. Usually, the middle of an inkstand was reserved for nibs, blotting-paper, blotter or other desk-fiddilies (like paperclips, etc).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
sean138 said:
Something like this?
certcda.jpg

Now that's cool! Where did you find that? While I was searching, I did a google image search for "Continental Detective Agency" since I knew that's where Hammett originally wrote that Spade worked, yet I couldn't find any images.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I may be hallucinatin', but that sure looks like William Powell's eyeball.
Looks like you're having fun there. A little crazy, but in the best way.
So next is the coat tree, should be easy to find, and the chairs. Those were very common not so long ago, but much harder to find nowadays. Also, that stapler looks pretty cool.
And you should definitely have a small selection of furs available, so that any lady paying a visit would be able to observe the house dress code. ;)

sean138

New in Town
ScionPI2005 said:
Now that's cool! Where did you find that? While I was searching, I did a google image search for "Continental Detective Agency" since I knew that's where Hammett originally wrote that Spade worked, yet I couldn't find any images.
I put that together in photoshop after I read this thread. The eye is cut out of a Pinkerton logo and Dashiell Hammetts sig is lifted from an example I found on line. It's just a thought of what one could make to fill in the unknown. If you want to lift it and use it feel free to do so.
Sean

chrismak

Familiar Face
It is AWESOME! I will use it, can you post it somewhere in high high res.

Anything else anyone has found out about spades office, I have the radio almost down, I got the ronson lighter correct, we have the certificate.

Any word on the inkwells, stapler, phone, Other machine on his desk (possible adding machine or maybe a check machine).. and other items?

sean138

New in Town
chrismak said:
It is AWESOME! I will use it, can you post it somewhere in high high res.

Anything else anyone has found out about spades office, I have the radio almost down, I got the ronson lighter correct, we have the certificate.

Any word on the inkwells, stapler, phone, Other machine on his desk (possible adding machine or maybe a check machine).. and other items?
Here is a link to it on my photobucket
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i77/slsmart138/certcda.jpg
If that doesn't print well, let me know and I'll re work it in photoshop for a higher res.
Sean

sean138

New in Town
chrismak said:
So I had a screen cap from the first part of the movie blown up, sharpened and contrasted..

The cert is Pacific Coast University

However! it Changes to the logo of pinkertons later in the film,

Much like the inkwell with the bird on top on Sam's desk, there is a shot or two where the bird is missing.
I just took a look and it changes in the first scene! Its PCU and then when Archer walks in its the Pinkerton like one!
Sean

chrismak

Familiar Face
Ok got the phone.. got the cert.

Anyone know the inkwells, Fan, lamp, or the adding machine or whatever machine is on his desk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner