Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man of the century, why have I never sen this before?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Charming and well done" is right! A sweet little film, a dear little film.

PLEASE NOTE that I mentioned this film in a thread 2.5 - 3 years ago which got NO responses (I think the thread was entitled something like "Modern Movies With Characters Who Dress Vintage").

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Well, that was a while ago. But honestly, I don't understand why I don't recall reading this thread before: It's been alive on and off for years, and I watch the Moving Picture forum carefully!

OTOH, it's nice to know there are still gems like this one that I don't know!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just saw this, as it is finally available on netflix to watch online, and I thought it was a really fun flick. It seemed a little scattered at times, but Johnny's interactions with the modern characters, whether amused or frustrated by him, were priceless.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The idea of a film revolving around a blatantly anachronistic character (in one of the best ways, the 1920s) that gets in some funny situations is particularly appealing to me, so I'll have to.

Some time ago I got this on DVD to watch after a conversation about it with Matt Deckard. It is a fun little film that has a number of really bright moments. I love Johnnys's banter and little witticisms using the lingo of the 20's.

It's funny to me that I know more people that would not understand much of the slang and sayings Johnny peppers his conversations with.

I think that today's youngsters are missing out by not seeing the old classics and I fear that the trend toward 3D movies will make the old stuff less appreciated by the people that have no sense of history.

(A friend told me that a junior high aged kid, when asked about the 4th of July, said it was a holiday to commemorate WWII and our freedom from Japanese rule!)

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm the dissenting voice, I guess. I wish I could say I enjoyed the movie, but I found the lead character to be someone's over-the-top, cliched idea of what a Twenties/Thirties movie character was like (and I suspect whoever wrote it hadn't seen all that many movies of the era) and the dialogue and acting left much to be desired.

Too bad, too, because it was a clever concept and I very much wanted to enjoy it.

Instead, I gave up a half-hour in.

I'm clearly in the minority here, however. Maybe I just got my hopes up too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo