Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manhattan's gashouse district

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Site of Peter Cooper / Stuy town today: 23rd street –14th on the east side.
kuhlgas.jpg

gas-house-district-1947.jpg

I grew up across the street from this area and it's something to hear what it used to be like in the golden era.
It used to be the single worst part of manhattan to live in, due to the gas fumes from the gas reservoirs for New York. Herbert Asbury's Gangs of New York describes a gang who lived there around the turn of the century, who got by on prostitution, extorting locals, thugging for politicians, and, above all else — hunting and robbing other gangs from more affluent parts of the city. Yikes.
Later on, it was rough, but a real community all its own.

This is a video of what the area looked like in the late 1940s before they evicted the residents and tore it down, including shots of apartment interiors. This is what NY tenements looked like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32912172@N00/3623985103/

Here's a wonderful two part reminiscence by a man who grew up there as a boy. Really a gem to have.
http://disclexington.podomatic.com/

460%3E_751304.jpg

Bustercat

A-List Customer
My pleasure!
I've asked about part 3, haven't heard back yet. Hearing something like this really stuns you, makes you realize how fast things move in a city — how easily history is lost. There's no hint of any of what he's talking about unless you look for it, and know what to ask.

Here's more about that part of the city in the late 30s (a few blocks north, actually). Never knew that's where Ben Gazara came up!

Back to East 29th street: where fact and fiction revisit kips bay, ny

(links at bottom of page)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo