Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marc Guyot 's New 1930s-inspired Clothing Collection.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Visited his store today in Paris... I don't know if it was just an off day but I wasn't very impressed. There were racks out in the store with many suits in plastic bags and stuff everywhere. I got a chance to look at the shoes, a few I liked weren't too over the top for my tastes(great 1920's style button up boot). I also saw his shirts and a few jackets. Honestly, I probably would've liked it more if things were actually displayed and set up in a fashion where you can look at them rather than have to scrounge though piles of things and racks of suits I did not feel like I was allowed to look through. There were 3 mannequins in the window and that was it.... The rest was rack and shelving galore- sans the shoe display. Who I think, and am pretty sure was Marc walked in also and didn't even say anything despite the fact I was dressed totally 1930s (a double breasted peak lapel brown and white seersucker with dark brown 30's trousers, brown and white two tones, white shirt and pocket square, and a palm beach tie) and was the only customer in the store, which is very small.

Like I said, maybe an off day, but extremely disappointed considering I've been wanting to go here since I had heard about it two years ago and could barely look at the items and at least feel welcomed .

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Like I said, maybe an off day, but extremely disappointed considering I've been wanting to go here since I had heard about it two years ago and could barely look at the items and at least feel welcomed .
No, you weren't there on an off day; that's the way the shop has always been. You see, he specializes in custom (MTM) clothes and really doesn't keep a whole lot of RTW on the premises. Guyot is more like a tailor's shop than a haberdasher. It appears that his website gave you an inaccurate sense of the place. Sounds like a Parisian standoff........

BTW, it seems odd that Marc didn't greet you as he's a rather friendly fellow.......but then it seems odd that you didn't say something to him.

Was this the gent?

Marc+Guyot.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Like I said, maybe an off day, but extremely disappointed
No, you weren't there on an off day; that's the way the shop has always been. You see, he specializes in custom (MTM) clothes and really doesn't keep a whole lot of RTW on the premises. Guyot is more like a tailor's shop than a haberdasher. It appears that his website gave you an inaccurate sense of the place.

BTW, it seems odd that Marc didn't greet you as he's a rather friendly fellow.......but then it seems odd that you didn't say something to him. Sounds like a Parisian standoff........

Was this the gent?

Marc+Guyot.jpg

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Valid point, there was a large amount of fabric all over the place that I liked A LOT, beautiful plaids, herringbones, and windowpanes among other things that you would expect to see in old catalogs. Many of the fabrics were much more traditional than the bright and more *out there* choices shown on his website.
Even though its MTM, I would think that you would want to see what you are going to order, but I wouldn't know and makes sense why there wasn't much out. I did turn around to say something to the man since he was walking into the back, but quickly walked right by before I got the chance to say something(was looking at the wall of shirts). I can't recall now if that was him or not now, its 4:03am here in Paris and its been a very long day. Speaking of shirts, saw the same model he is wearing in the photo in a great art deco weave that was fantastic.

Even though my experience wasn't fantastic due to a different expectation, among other things, I do have to say that the craftsmanship of his items as a whole is SUPERB. The shoes were very well constructed and as a whole had a great finesse to them.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Speaking of shirts, saw the same model he is wearing in the photo in a great art deco weave that was fantastic.
For shirts you should really stop by Charvet at Place Vendôme and ask for a quick tour. It is the mecca of shirting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner