Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marlowe nominated for "Chap of the Year"

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Tis a shame that such a fab little magazine, which has brought delight to so many of us in the past, appears to be attracting the oikish fancy dress 'pub golf' clientèle. I look forward to the time when such types move on to the next fad and leave us vintage lovers in peace.

I would say that The Chap has had this coming. The regular feature "Am I Chap?" is essentially a couple pages of obviously absurd put-downs of people's outfits. (And I might add, some very obviously costume-y outfits, literally asking for the put-down.)

Is it really such a surprise that many readers would have misread this and, incapable themselves of humour, gone too far in their abuse? Especially with the well known "keyboard buffer" in effect. It's not much of a step really from the tone of "Am I Chap?" to the kind of sneering offensiveness on display in the stuff being talked about here.

bk

Edward

Bartender
I would say that The Chap has had this coming. The regular feature "Am I Chap?" is essentially a couple pages of obviously absurd put-downs of people's outfits. (And I might add, some very obviously costume-y outfits, literally asking for the put-down.)

Is it really such a surprise that many readers would have misread this and, incapable themselves of humour, gone too far in their abuse? Especially with the well known "keyboard buffer" in effect. It's not much of a step really from the tone of "Am I Chap?" to the kind of sneering offensiveness on display in the stuff being talked about here.

bk

A fair point, I think. The unfortunate reality seems to be that the stick-on moustache brigade that have been cropping up at Chap and other vintage themed events in London in recent years (the influence of Time Out to some greater or lesser degree has been felt here) don't quite get the humour. Reminds me of when Warren Mitchell used to be hailed by racists that didn't understand Alf Garnett was the joke; more recently, I hear Al Murray's Pub Landlord has had similar experiences. Interestingly, the latest issue of The Chap seems to have been produced with this in mind. In that very column, a crowd of such fancy-dress types have sent in a photo of them "chav hunting", complete with one of their number as comedy, shell-suited scouser lying, supposedly, where shot. They've been given rather a dressing down by the magazine.

Edward

Bartender
Yes. I suspect if they carry the contest on into next year (the initial intent was a backdrop to launch the book, but it has always been advertised as the "inaugural" competition), they might be best advised to go about selecting contestant by another route. As much as anything, although they have a number of good people on the bill already, there is some danger IMHO of ending up with a lot of very similar candidates, losing out on having some of the most entertaining people in the Chap community involved. Dear Farhan Rasheed, for one, was passed over, which is a real shame.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Yes. I suspect if they carry the contest on into next year (the initial intent was a backdrop to launch the book, but it has always been advertised as the "inaugural" competition), they might be best advised to go about selecting contestant by another route. As much as anything, although they have a number of good people on the bill already, there is some danger IMHO of ending up with a lot of very similar candidates, losing out on having some of the most entertaining people in the Chap community involved. Dear Farhan Rasheed, for one, was passed over, which is a real shame.

I'd have to agree with you there Edward, Farhan looked like a fantastic and individual character. Alas, the price of popularity is that idiots arrive with completely the wrong idea and work their majoritarian (an in the case of the Chap's new oikish problem it seems, pro-engerlish and borderline racist) tyranny. I haven't made it to any Chap events down there, but I am involved in vintage, music and cabaret events up here with a not dissimilar ethos. I shudder at the thought of fancy dress yobs arriving and carrying on like they would at a nightclub. Fortunately our crowd is respectable, for now.

Edward

Bartender
It is an issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate for the vintage community to become elitist, but equally I have seen several nights and even venues ruined beyond return by the fancy dress crowd all thinking it's hilarious. There is, alas, a small undercurrent in parts of the vintage scene which is less about vintage and more about desiring to escape to a pre-Windrush Britain, with all the nastiness that implies; that is something that is dangerous and unacceptable, and should be stamped down on hard wherever it is seen to occur.

Last edited:
I despise this fact, Edward. It scares a lot of people off who would enjoy slowly working their way into the vintage scene. My feeling on newcomers is the more the merrier and it gives us all a chance to put our knowledge to work.

It is an issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate for the vintage community to become elitist

W-D Forties

Practically Family
My hubby, who is the proud owner of a rather splendid moustache often finds that people assume its a stick on one. As if he would wear such a thing in the street. Bizarre. Fancy dress in Britain has become something of an obsession, especially on nights out. Every night is Halloween in Liverpool (and days too for some people).

Good luck with the competition, you are indeed worthy of the crown. I have voted for you!

Actually, we may owe you, as I think you may have been one of the helpful people who carried said hubby over the finigh line Battle Of Britain style to win the Gold Cravat at Goodwood last summer!

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
It is an issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate for the vintage community to become elitist, but equally I have seen several nights and even venues ruined beyond return by the fancy dress crowd all thinking it's hilarious. There is, alas, a small undercurrent in parts of the vintage scene which is less about vintage and more about desiring to escape to a pre-Windrush Britain, with all the nastiness that implies; that is something that is dangerous and unacceptable, and should be stamped down on hard wherever it is seen to occur.

Well said. Yes, there is a daily mail racist mentality that has to be knocked out of the vintage scene if ever it is encountered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925