Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marlowe nominated for "Chap of the Year"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A nice theory, but wouldn't all those computers have the same IP address?
The scenario was meant as a joke ;) , in order to use a favorite JFK quip that he made in response to the rumor that his father was buying his election.

"I have just received the following telegram from my generous Daddy. It says, "Dear Jack: Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide."(Gridiron Dinner, Washington, D.C., 1958)

As they say, it's not that good of a joke if you need to explain it....:eek:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The scenario was meant as a joke ;) , in order to use a favorite JFK quip that he made in response to the rumor that his father was buying his election.

"I have just received the following telegram from my generous Daddy. It says, "Dear Jack: Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide."(Gridiron Dinner, Washington, D.C., 1958)

As they say, it's not that good of a joke if you need to explain it....:eek:

I got the humour of the vote buying - but it needed a basis in practicality to work for my Virgo soul.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Voted again! But I was wondering if this Compton Bassett chap is a decendent of the Bassetts that P.G. Wodehouse wrote of in his documentaries of a certain young Wooster?

Good luck again!
Tom

Edward

Bartender
Thank-you. Yes, I suspect that is from whence young Robert acquired his nom de guerre. He really is quite a charming young man and not at all deserving of the vulgur abuse to which he has, alas, been subjected.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, that really is quite tiresome and beneath a response. I find it rather bizarre, actually... the "American" comments I can understand (albeit the very xenophobia from which they arise is objectionable), but the notion that a fedora somehow equates to Nazism is indeed bizarre. I have half a mind to inform the fellow that I have Jewish roots: as it happens, I do not, but he is not to know that. But hey ho, some people's idea of wit is to stoop so low, and the best course of action is simply to ignore it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Quite all right; young Compton Bassett is a worthy opponent and wholly deserves also to be supported.

Indeed. Unfortunately there are those out there who have mistaken vulgar abuse for humour, missing the point of the exercise rather. Young Robert did quite understandably rise to the bait on an earlier occasion, which I think is why they are poking at him now. Sad, really, but the work of the stick-on moustache brigade has been apparent in all rounds so far. Best is to ignore them, I find, tempting as it is to do otherwise. I myself draw their vitriol for being non-English (or "of foreign extraction", as they like to put it), and looking "American". For some reason, the fedora seems especially to offend these fools. [huh]

Which is why an ex-patriate like Nick D., as dapper and "British-looking" as he appears to be, would never be accepted by the xenophobes. And you're right about the fedora somehow offending some of them; in addition, one poster remarked that he was going to vote for Edward because he liked the latter's tie, something which he said that Mitchum sometimes wore...

Cobden

Practically Family
Yes, that really is quite tiresome and beneath a response. I find it rather bizarre, actually... the "American" comments I can understand (albeit the very xenophobia from which they arise is objectionable), but the notion that a fedora somehow equates to Nazism is indeed bizarre. I have half a mind to inform the fellow that I have Jewish roots: as it happens, I do not, but he is not to know that. But hey ho, some people's idea of wit is to stoop so low, and the best course of action is simply to ignore it.

I haven't seen all the comments, but the American comments I saw I felt were more in keeping with the "Chappist" way - that is, Chappism being about being a British stereotype and enjoying being the stereotype, with tongue firmly in cheek. Part of that stereotype is the disparagement of our cousins and others - seeing the Americans as upstart bounders and all that - combined with laughing at the American stereotype (as distinct from laughing at Americans in the belief they are the stereotype) as the stereotype of American's is in and of itself quite ridiculous.

Using foreign birth, on the other hand, as a reason for vitriol is definitely not on, not British, and ungentlemanly. The same goes for falling foul of Godwin.

Edward

Bartender
Oh, sure, a little good natured ribbing is all fine with me; I have a very thick skin. Unfortunately there are a fair few people populating the site who miss the humour and take it a little too far. This round has been very mild compared to some, in particular some very off colour remarks were made about the ladies in one round. To be fair, I'm also speaking from the context of one too many vintage events in London ruined by fancy dress types who don't get it. I'm sure you know the type.

Cobden

Practically Family
Oh, sure, a little good natured ribbing is all fine with me; I have a very thick skin. Unfortunately there are a fair few people populating the site who miss the humour and take it a little too far. This round has been very mild compared to some, in particular some very off colour remarks were made about the ladies in one round. To be fair, I'm also speaking from the context of one too many vintage events in London ruined by fancy dress types who don't get it. I'm sure you know the type.

Oh, indeed. The overt presence of that type at The Chap events has been the reason that I've not attended

Edward

Bartender
I think the best riposte would be for us to outnumber them.... The Olympiad is actually relatively free of that sort of thing, and is well worth a visit. Tbh, i think a big part of the problem is Time Out... Anyhow, enough of such grumbles, back to the game!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I daresay that the comments on the Chap of the Year page have remained vitriolic. I know that the Brits (English in particular) have a reputation for searing put-downs disguised as mock compliments, but the references to another nominee being "manhandled" by the Welsh Guards, and of Edward resembling an "American gangster" are quite unseemly, and unworthy of one calling himself a "chap." Kudos to you, Edward, for weathering such sophomoric expositions, and for not counting them worthy of like response. Having said that, we need to continue to encourage others to vote for Mr. Marlowe, especially those of us from the US, whose classic style has been decried by those whose grandfathers would have traded a year's supply of tea after the war for a Bold Look suit and tie...

Last edited:
My vote just went to the venerable Edward. And on the morrow I shall troop over to the library and cast yet another vote. Best of luck!

Your obedient servant
Victor Columbus Brunswick

WH1

Practically Family
Again I vote for Edward, despite the fact that he is the standard bearer of Psuedo-American Gangsterism and all that! One can clearly see the fact you and Tony Soprano are twins!

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Again I vote for Edward, despite the fact that he is the standard bearer of Psuedo-American Gangsterism and all that! One can clearly see the fact you and Tony Soprano are twins!

And if you didn't vote for him you may find yourself at the bottom of the Thames wearing cement shoes. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred