Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mass on Ship at Iwo Jima 1945

tridentine

Suspended
[video]http://the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/2011/11/mass-on-board-ship-off-coast-of-iwo.html[/video] Film of Mass on Board Ship at Iwo Jima 1945

Notice the priest and men swaying with waves:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Check the utterly utterly grim expressions on their faces. They knew that a lot of them were going to meet their maker very soon.
And can you imagine rocking like that, or maybe much worse, for about six weeks straight as you made the journey across the Pacific?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
can you imagine rocking like that, or maybe much worse, for about six weeks straight as you made the journey across the Pacific?

You get used to it, although you get to a point that you want to just stay still for five minutes. I was stationed aboard an LST for two years. She even rocked pierside. She was not the WWII type of LST, she was the newer Newport News Class, but she was flat bottom just like the WWII LSTs.

TomS

One Too Many
I visited Iwo when I was in the corps. it was probably 1984 or 85... I dont recall now, but it was during a West-Pac deployment. It really is hallowed ground.

tridentine

Suspended
Check the utterly utterly grim expressions on their faces. They knew that a lot of them were going to meet their maker very soon.
And can you imagine rocking like that, or maybe much worse, for about six weeks straight as you made the journey across the Pacific?
They have grim faces, and I am sure they are afraid, but they have the confidence they have recieved the Lords Body, substantially, Body, Blood Soul and Divinity, before combat.
Sort of a Viaticum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy