Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching tie & pocket square

Geesie

Practically Family
If they literally 100% match, it makes it look like you bought it as a combo, which is cheesy.

It's better to go with complimentary patterns or to have color in the square coordinate with the tie and/or shirt.

Feraud

Bartender
Most people dislike the look. I never cared to follow what most people think.
Here is a vintage set.
DSC06630.jpg

DSC06631.jpg

I rock the look.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I also think it looks tacky but it's just my opinion. I think a close match is fine but a perfect match isn't.

Personally, unless I am wearing beige or other light-coloured jackets, I will always have a plain white pocket square, usually in the presidental fold, though I will use the one or two point folds if I want it to be more noticable such as with a dinner jacket or smarter suit. I personally like the look of clothes which look like I didn't fuss with them but still look good and the white pocket square in the presidental fold shows that IMO.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
The French Line

"A well dressed man should always have a pocket square, generally complimenting the colors of his clothing, but never repeating a pattern. It should be worn as a complimentary accent and not as a formal addition to the ensemble. Thus: Place the pocket square fully opened upon a flat surface. With the first four fingers of the right hand, gather (pinch) the material in the center of the square, lift the square off the surface and allow to hang down. Now turn the hand palm up while continuing to allow the square to hang down. Now thrust the gathered end of the square into the breast pocket all the way to the bottom. Arrange the displayed ends of the square in a pleasing and nonchalant manner and voila!, your ensemble is complete."

Translated from “The Boulevardier” Henri Ruchard, Paris 1903

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
By the by..............

..............don't let a jacket-less ensemble hold you back. ;)

HSL01232_38837.jpg

SpatzKat

New in Town
Tomasso said:
..............don't let a jacket-less ensemble hold you back. ;)

HSL01232_38837.jpg

Uggggg!!!!! I think I saw that set on the clearance rack at Conway.
7.99 for the whole set in polyester glory with matching links to boot. :eek: Pardon me while I slink off to my clothes closet and hide for a while.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Even in Alan Flusser's book 'Dressing the Man' this is a taboo thing. Makes one look like a rank beginner. You best bet is to pull color elements from the shirt, jacket or tie to properly harmonize the out fit. The key is to not look like you tried but that it all works and there is no one point that stands out particularly.

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
Interesting to read how a matching tie and pocket square are generally dismissed as gaudy or amateurish. Most men attempting to coordinate their outfits in a stylish and nonchalant way come off as gaudy, amateurish, or trying too hard.

Edward

Bartender
I have given some thought as to why so many of us aren't keen on matched sets.... For me personally, it comes down to this: a matched set will always look like a set, a bit novelty, whereas a coordinated bunch of accessories just has that classy edge which says 'i know how to put together things that work.' Not that I'd look down on someone with a matching set, but it definitely doesn't have that classy, put-together by (as opposed to for ) the wearer.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There's an episode of Lord Peter Whimsey in which he describes in a pained manner the matching tie and hanky of a rather declasse hoodlum type as, "most unfortunate", or words to that effect.
In other words, he's saying it's vulgar.
Actually, I think we need a discussion of that very word, vulgarity. What is it? We think we know when we see it. But what is it really?

Groupe G

New in Town
Good heavens. That last makes me want to either cry or shoot his tailor.

Unless his tailor is Mr Sears-Roebuck; should it be so I have little idea where to begin. It is what one might call a "target-rich environment".

I must say I agree: Exactly matching necktie and pocket square matching is horribly déclassé. The well-equipped boulevardier coordinates his attire, which does not at all mean matches. If it looks like you bought it on Macy's mezzanine, it's simply déclassé, the existence of "star-endorsed ensembles" notwithstanding; those exist to separate a fool from his money, not to instantly make one well-dressed.

It is akin to the difference between a real 1928 Bugatti and a kit car built on a Volkswagen frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou