Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching vs Unmatching Vests

thecollegeguy123

New in Town
Does the vest have to match with the jacket? I have looked around online and gotten different answers. Some say that the vest and the jacket have to be the same fabric, color, and pattern. Others say that it is perfectly acceptable to mix and match as you please and that there is no wrong way to wear a vest. However, these opinions are from people who posted their opinions on websites dedicated to stricly modern clothing. I was wondering if I could hear from the vintage point of view. Historically, has there been any commonly followed guidelines for vest wearing?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have been watching Green Acres on DVD for the last few nights. If you are not familiar with the show, one of the running gags is that Oliver Douglas, a New York corporate attorney turned farmer, works his farm wearing the same suits and ties as he wore in the stuffy law office.

His most conservative outfit is a black 3 piece suit, black tie, white shirt and Homburg. For less formal occasions he wears a scarlet waistcoat with a suit or houndstooth jacket.

This suggests that in the sixties a contrasting waistcoat or vest was conventional attire for all but the most formal business occasions.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
contrasting waistcoats are fine. Look at waistcoats for sale on UK Ebay - it will be full of red, mustard, green etc doeskin waistcoats. yet you won't find many doeskin suits in these colours.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, very much this.

Seconded. Contrasting waistcoats have been the norm for centuries. Since at least the 1700s, if my history is correct.

Case in point: Beau Brummell...

brummell.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I believe the Weskit, forerunner of the modern waistcoat, started off as a contrasting garment; the matching piece only arrived much later on after Beau Brummell popularised the idea of the matching pieces (in particular jacket and trousers) - the genesis of the modern lounge suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner