Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching your Leather Jacket and Shoes

can black and brown leathers be mixed?

• yes, absolutely!

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • no way!

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • only with certain shades/situations

Votes: 36 46.8%

• Total voters

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
This came up a few weeks back. I never match anything. I like the look of black and brown. I can't imagine living the sort of life where matching would matter or where there was time for it. But if it makes people feel better then whatever.

Seb, I'm certain you have more than one pair of shoes and and only two feet, so you must waste the same time everyone wastes choosing footwear.

I've discovered that the more thought I put into that sort of thing, matching colours, shades, etc., the more uncomfortable I feel so I no longer care to think about it. I'm with IWGOT on this, the less planning, the better. Besides, my girl already made a snide remark about my wardrobe some time ago when I couldn't decide what belt to pick, something among the lines of 'did they teach you this on that forum of yours?'. I could've lived the rest of my life without hearing her say that...

Navetsea, what are those pants? They're really cool!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Navetsea, what are those pants? They're really cool!
hehe, thanks
coated black slim jeans with slight bootcut near the bottom, I bought them from that korean site byther, dunno inspired/ plagiated from what fashion brand, was/ is on sale, crazy cheap.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Usually I match jacket and belt and mostly shoes. Otherwise i always choose my shoes darker than the jacket if the colors don't match.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is there such a thing as being too well-matched? I have a pair of brown Frye engineers with brass buckles that match my brown Aero HB to such an extent that I feel a little self-conscious wearing them. They're the exact same shade of brown and the same texture, and the buckles are remarkably similar. I always feel a little too matchy.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shoes and Belt match as they should. As for jackets, no, definitely not always but sometimes...depends on how I feel that day.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Belt & boots match. Jacket & hat match. Sometimes all 4 match...JMHO

I think I tend to do what gtdean does but think this is much ado about nothin'. I think maybe it is all about proportion so that different shades of brown, or any colors for that matter, don't clash.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb, I'm certain you have more than one pair of shoes and and only two feet, so you must waste the same time everyone wastes choosing footwear.

You're right and wrong Gray - I have 7 pairs of the same Blundstones. I don't own shoes or sneakers.

Bucket

Familiar Face
I wear black 99.9% of the time, so this is not usually an issue. The only time I wear brown shoes/belt is if I am going into the office and then I always wear a blue sports coat or suit and match my belt and shoes.

For casual, I always wear black jacket, belt and boots / shoes. It's just my thing, I feel more comfortable in black or grey.

Edward

Bartender
As a general rule, I don't like black and brown mixed. Always black shoes and belt with black jacket, and so on.

it's a mindset, like should the hardware of the jacket matching the buckle of your belt, and your other metallic surface on you including the frame of your glasses, the pen in your pocket, once you decide to register it is a problem, it will linger and troubling you forever :D

I like to match accessories, but not if I'm going very casual. I do tend to prefer goldtone cufflinks for daywear and silvertone for evening.

Is there such a thing as being too well-matched? I have a pair of brown Frye engineers with brass buckles that match my brown Aero HB to such an extent that I feel a little self-conscious wearing them. They're the exact same shade of brown and the same texture, and the buckles are remarkably similar. I always feel a little too matchy.

No. If your entire outfit was Horween FQHH, maybe. Otherwise, no...

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
How does burgandy/cordovan/oxblood shoes/boots look with a brown leather jacket? Is it best to stick to straight brown footwear with brown leather jackets?

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
If what I'm wearing is old and scuffed up/heavily worn ( 8+ on a 1-10 scale ) I pay no attention to color at all. Anything else, a pair of Clark's desert boots in a brown shade or Blundies go with it.

zebedee

One Too Many
A cordovan Aero can go with brown shoes, but cordovan-coloured footwear doesn't go with anything apart from a cordovan-coloured leather jacket IMHO. I'll mix blacks and browns and tans and browns. Easiest footwear to go with anything is probably a pair of Clarks tan desert boots.

In used to be a strict color to color guy, but no longer. Even Aero posted up some cool pics today of black jackets with guys in brown shoes/boots. At least out here in lala-land, it's no problem. I've changed me ways.

wdw

One Too Many
Seems like there's no one right rule. I have cordovan jackets and wear them with black or cordovan shoes, but would never dream of wearing brown shoes with them. The brownest I'd go with cordovan would be my IR Hawthornes, which are more of a beige.

Equally, I wear cordovan shoes with black, khaki and blue jackets without a second thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo