Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching your partner?

Moby

Familiar Face
Here's one man's point of view on matching outfits. I always try to dress to the same level as my dear wife, you know like casual, formal, etc but I would never wear a matching outfit. I will go back into the house and change if our shirt/blouse or pants/shorts are the same color. No way! To me matching outfits say a man has been "defanged" and is no longer "dangerous". LOL.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Moby said:
Here's one man's point of view on matching outfits. I always try to dress to the same level as my dear wife, you know like casual, formal, etc but I would never wear a matching outfit. I will go back into the house and change if our shirt/blouse or pants/shorts are the same color. No way! To me matching outfits say a man has been "defanged" and is no longer "dangerous". LOL.

That's too funny. I never was into matching until I met my boyfriend. He's the one that started the matching.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Moby said:
I know what you mean. To me, it would feel like we stopped being two persons and just morphed into a two-headed monster entity! But hey, that's just me.!

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
TheKitschGoth said:
I think it looks better if the couple are dressed up to the same degree (for example evening dress/jeans combo would look awful), but colour coordinating etc? Um, not for me. [huh]

Moby said:

+1. One of my pet peeves when I go out is seeing couples dressed:
She = Lovely dress & high heels.
He = Untucked striped shirt, jeans and square toed shoes.

However, I can't imagine wearing "matching" outfits. Just not for me. I'd be too afraid of a giant beer can falling on my head during dinner.

http://www.milbestlight.com/tv_spots.aspx (last spot)

Snookie

Practically Family
If we're going dancing, we always try to coordinate our outfits. We talk about it before getting ready, and I usually pick first and he tries to match (he's got more clothes, so that's only fair!). Not match each other, but wear clothes that go together. Unless performing, we never wear the same colors on top and bottom. It's just way too costume-y.

Regarding non-vintage wear, I'm usually the more casual one! I'm always trying to get him to dress down on the weekends. Not to wear rips and stains, but I like a polo or a slim T instead of a buttondown. I like the youthfulness, I think.

ortega76

Practically Family
The wife and I often color-coordinate with each other. We both have similar tastes and wardrobes that have extensive color pallettes.

l_a58fb196561027dd03548fe7bd9fd3fa.jpg

This is us (with a friend in the background) at wedding last summer.

In general, I dress down, due to living in a VERY casual college town. I love to dress up, though. I admit that I sometimes mix casual pieces (like t-shirts) with more structured ones. I tend to do this with jeans pared with sportcoats and buttondowns.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
It is so refreshing to hear that others actually think this way! I've always hated seeing a couple that just don't look as though they belong together because of their dress. That is one of the most challenging things about going anywhere with the ex- (that in itself is a long story, really) she is comfortable dressing far too casually for my taste most of the time. I find myself having to "dress down" somewhat just so that I don't feel out of place when we go somewhere together. Last weekend was a prime example- I had just purchased a new bow tie and wanted to wear it that evening when we went out to dinner- she, on the other hand, was dressed in jeans and a really casual top when it was time to leave. Soooo, I, of course was forced last minute to alter my choice. Seems as though I need to be reminded every once in a while one more reason we're no longer married...:rolleyes:

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
you two look great together!

ortega76 said:
The wife and I often color-coordinate with each other. We both have similar tastes and wardrobes that have extensive color pallettes.

l_a58fb196561027dd03548fe7bd9fd3fa.jpg

This is us (with a friend in the background) at wedding last summer.

In general, I dress down, due to living in a VERY casual college town. I love to dress up, though. I admit that I sometimes mix casual pieces (like t-shirts) with more structured ones. I tend to do this with jeans pared with sportcoats and buttondowns.

I think it's important to coordinate and you guys did a great job, same theme but not exactly the same outfit.

It gets creepy when spouses dress alike to the point of looking more like twins than a couple. Kinda like the episode of seinfeld where george's girlfriend ended up with the same haircut as jerry!

ortega76

Practically Family
Pilotguy299 said:
I think it's important to coordinate and you guys did a great job, same theme but not exactly the same outfit.

It gets creepy when spouses dress alike to the point of looking more like twins than a couple. Kinda like the episode of seinfeld where george's girlfriend ended up with the same haircut as jerry!

Thank you. I'd say we do that more often not for things like weddings, portraits and nice dinners.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
My husband has never been a sloppy dresser, but he'll check out my outfit before we leave the house to make sure he matches the level of dress. Sometimes he'll say, "Oh no, you look too cute--I have to go change." It's kind of endearing.

Sometimes when we're out, we'll notice that people (in general) are just dressed like slobs. I don't get it. It takes the exact amount of effort to pull on a clean shirt as it does a grungy moth-eaten one. What's the point?

CharlesB

Suspended
Lola Getz said:
My husband has never been a sloppy dresser, but he'll check out my outfit before we leave the house to make sure he matches the level of dress. Sometimes he'll say, "Oh no, you look too cute--I have to go change." It's kind of endearing.

Sometimes when we're out, we'll notice that people (in general) are just dressed like slobs. I don't get it. It takes the exact amount of effort to pull on a clean shirt as it does a grungy moth-eaten one. What's the point?
You'll appreciate this. One time me n the missus were going out and she had a particular shirt on and looked up and said "Theres no way in hell that anything i have on wouldnt clash with that tie...gimme 5 more minutes"

univibe88

One Too Many
My wife and I definitely dress to the same level when we are going out. I wouldn't say we ever go in matching outfits. The closest may be when I'll choose a tie that will coordinate with her dress.

I agree that it's awful to see couples completely mismatched - especially the man underdressed with the untucked shirt, overpriced jeans, square toe uniform. This really drives me nuts at a nice restaurant. Put on a jacket you slob! It is beyond me that this accepted anywhere, much less in Boston.

Boston used to be known as a pretty button-up city. But the sloppy fashion has really taken city downhill fast. I can't believe how much it's changed in just the last 10 years.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
One time me n the missus were going out and she had a particular shirt on and looked up and said "Theres no way in hell that anything i have on wouldnt clash with that tie...gimme 5 more minutes"

CharlesB, I'll bet that was 5 minutes well spent!

I'm always shocked when we go into a restaurant and people are dressed like they just rolled out of bed. Last week, I swear, there was a woman (old enough to know better) in SWEATPANTS and a t-shirt. It was a cleaning-out-the-cat-litter outfit if ever I saw one.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
We're totally guilty of matchy-matchy. So much that we think it's cute and everyone else lets us know how vile it is.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not clashing

My husband (on his own!) started years ago to look at what I was putting on and try to do colors in the same range! And of course the same level of dressiness.
Another reason he's a keeper.
XO S

Jovan

Suspended
I don't think it's necessary to match colours but it pains me, PAINS ME, when I see a couple (I can tell they are because of body language) where the woman is in a nice cocktail dress or dressy top/skirt outfit... and the guy is in jeans and a tee. Come on! The least he could do is throw on the one collared shirt he has in his wardrobe and tuck it in. Even worse is when they're in cargo shorts or something.

I can't say it's altogether surprising living in a college town, but an effort should at least be made so she knows you care about her. Funny that I rarely see this with same sex couples. [huh]

shindeco

A-List Customer
We usually don't match or even co-ordinate. We're completely different people with completely different tastes. If we're going to a dressier event or out for a special dinner we'll both be dressed to the appropriate level but when we go out to dinner after work, we'll often be dressed in completely different and non-complimentary ways. It has more to do with what we wear to work than anything else (his work environment is very casual and mine isn't). I'd rather look mismatched and enjoy my time with him than feel we have to head home and change just so we look like a couple. In fact, I quite enjoy being mismatched; it means we're both comfortable (and no, neither of us would ever DREAM of going out to dinner in sweat pants!!)

As for the completely matched pair dressing (both people wearing exactly the same clothes)--when we first started going out I told him to shoot me if I ever started doing that. I can't stand it!!!!

Idledame

Practically Family
One of the things I liked about my husband 27 years ago was that he never wore tennis shoes or baseball caps. And he often wore cowboy boots ( my first love was Roy Rogers). But in the last 10 years it's tennis shoes and baseball caps all the time! And he even bought a t-shirt with a vulgar joke on it! And huge cargo pants. It's so distressing! But at least he does wear a suit for special occasions. And at least he never wears sweats! But I'm not going to dress down to his level so we are probably one of those mismatched couples. Sorry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24