Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MAURICE L. ROTHSCHILD/HART SHAFFNER & MARX STYLEBOOK 1925-26

rlk

I'll Lock Up
5034201786_bc8b4755bf_b.jpg

5033582177_0faaa64872_b.jpg

5034203988_0ea0ffc513_b.jpg

5034205568_e9a195620f_b.jpg

5033586255_515c00043e_b.jpg

5034208266_33f7b6ba4f_b.jpg

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
My thoughts...

Quite nice...thanks for posting.
I noticed a lot of the captions said wide or full shoulders.
this was actually not really "wide" yet, but just wider than most previous styles. Coats prior to this tended to have quite narrow shoulders. Thus the "new wide look" that there are talking about is actually quite a natural shoulder (and it looks that way in their plates too). The real wide shoulder look didn't really come into fashion for several years.

Great post - thank you.

Some thoughts:

I always think of the '30s as when men's clothing style came together in a way that, basically, held (for suits, overcoats, etc.) until now, but this argues much was already in place or being put in place in the '20s. Clearly, though, some things - plus fours, for example - still had to weeded out.

The focus on specific fit details for different parts of the garment - narrow, wide, tapered or suppressed, for example - all reflect a time of much more concern with exacting fit and skilled tailoring that seems lost in our current world of "skinny" vs. "slim" vs. "relaxed" fit and, more tellingly, the incredible loss of size options today (fewer "longs" or "shorts" and much more "alpha" ["small," "medium," "large"] vs. measured sizes [32", 33", etc.]).

Conversely, odd to see men's advertising worried about styles that usually "come to you at least six months to a year later." Were men really on a similar fashion tread mill to what women were / are - or was that just HS&M hoping men would become more fashion-cycle susceptible? Other than at the "fashion show" level, today, you don't often see men's clothing advertising that focused on of-the-moment style. Sure, it will note what's "in," but not in a "this will change in six months" manner.

willyto

One Too Many
Thank you for reviving this old thread!

The search function on the forum is just terrible so it's difficult to find these old threads.

Anthony_Eden

New in Town
Superb and highly interesting. The DB blue suit with wide shoulders and wide curved lapels seems to me quite 30ish for 25-26 and that there are always originality and frontrunners... Thx for sharing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider