MAURICE L. ROTHSCHILD/HART SHAFFNER & MARX STYLEBOOK 1925-26

Discussion in 'Suits' started by rlk, Sep 28, 2010.

1. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fastuni and willyto like this.
  2. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

M.L.Rothschild/HSM 1925-26 Autumn/Winter - cont.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fastuni and willyto like this.
  3. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Nice job.

4. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

Interesting. Thanks for posting ... ;)

5. Tailor Tom

Tailor Tom One of the Regulars

My thoughts...

Quite nice...thanks for posting.
    I noticed a lot of the captions said wide or full shoulders.
    this was actually not really "wide" yet, but just wider than most previous styles. Coats prior to this tended to have quite narrow shoulders. Thus the "new wide look" that there are talking about is actually quite a natural shoulder (and it looks that way in their plates too). The real wide shoulder look didn't really come into fashion for several years.

6. sola fide

sola fide One of the Regulars

Beautiful

7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Great post - thank you.

Some thoughts:

I always think of the '30s as when men's clothing style came together in a way that, basically, held (for suits, overcoats, etc.) until now, but this argues much was already in place or being put in place in the '20s. Clearly, though, some things - plus fours, for example - still had to weeded out.

The focus on specific fit details for different parts of the garment - narrow, wide, tapered or suppressed, for example - all reflect a time of much more concern with exacting fit and skilled tailoring that seems lost in our current world of "skinny" vs. "slim" vs. "relaxed" fit and, more tellingly, the incredible loss of size options today (fewer "longs" or "shorts" and much more "alpha" ["small," "medium," "large"] vs. measured sizes [32", 33", etc.]).

Conversely, odd to see men's advertising worried about styles that usually "come to you at least six months to a year later." Were men really on a similar fashion tread mill to what women were / are - or was that just HS&M hoping men would become more fashion-cycle susceptible? Other than at the "fashion show" level, today, you don't often see men's clothing advertising that focused on of-the-moment style. Sure, it will note what's "in," but not in a "this will change in six months" manner.

8. willyto

willyto One Too Many

Thank you for reviving this old thread!

The search function on the forum is just terrible so it's difficult to find these old threads.

9. Anthony_Eden

Anthony_Eden New in Town

Superb and highly interesting. The DB blue suit with wide shoulders and wide curved lapels seems to me quite 30ish for 25-26 and that there are always originality and frontrunners... Thx for sharing

10. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

Two interesting details: flap pockets on a tuxedo and bottom button buttoned; both of which are modernly thought to be incorrect or a faux pax.