Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maybe we've covered this, but is there any way to stretch my sleeves 1"?

So a vintage horsehide Hercules showed up today. It's a real beauty, and it almost fits- except for the sleeve length.
I'm feeling they need another inch or so. Is there any hope?
Or do I give up and pass this would be keeper forward?

wdw

One Too Many
I had a similar thing, looked all over this site and came to the conclusion that lengthening the sleeves by say stretching was a non-starter. The only realistic and relatively cheap solution would be to get an inch added to the cuffs, assuming it has any, and even then the proportions might look a bit out, not to mention the hides not matching.

robrinay

One Too Many
In my experience - If you wet the arms and stretch them you risk tearing the shoulder seams and you will almost certainly rip the linings or their seams. Also some of the extra length you make will be a function of the straightening out of elbow area wrinkles which will return with use. I managed to increase the length of the sleeves of an Eastman jacket but ripped (shredded) the linings near the cuff and the lining seams in the pits. This cost me £50 for a sleeve re-line. If I were to attempt it again I would start by unpicking the lining at the inner cuff -or cutting it neatly and then adding a tube extension in matching lining material after the stretch. Good luck if you decide attempt it but read up on it first and take care.
Ps
I've successfully stretched tight fitting boots with a screw in boot stretcher but lubed the leather first with an alcohol solution (first vodka then tequila when the vodka ran out) it worked well.

Last edited:

Forrest

Familiar Face
Yeah, on a vintage jacket, especially with tough leather like horsehide, any attempt to stretch a sleeve will probably end badly. You could pull this off with something soft like lambskin, but you would still have to proceed carefully, as it is very easy to pop stitches. In short, I wouldn't try it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For me sleeves 1" too short might as well be 1' too short! With my long arms, I have owned several jackets with sleeves an inch or so too short, tried to convince myself the sleeves were really OK, had other FL members tell me the sleeves were really OK, and then eventually gotten rid the jackets because they never "felt right." For me always more about "feel" than "look". When I see your pics tomorrow, I'll probably speak with forked tongue and say "looks OK" but don't believe me. :lie: :D

So, I've done some conditioning, etc...and I'm loving this jacket!!! I think I'll live with the sleeves...
I may stretch them a bit as the lining is toast anyway. I may make a few other mods as well, but that will be in the subsequent thread.....
Thanks for your input guys!

I've stretched the length and width of the pits using JanSolo's bottle method.
Get large glass bottles that are long and are wider than the sleeves by a bit. Fill them with hot water and soak the sleeves on the outside.
Put the bottles into the sleeves and cram them in as far as they will go - the amount you stretch is up to you based on the bottle and how far you cram them in.
Let it hang for a day until dry. Repeat if needed. Worked great on two jackets that I needed some pit expansion and length. Don't expect miracles, but if you're close, it should work.

armscye

One of the Regulars
I have 37 inch gorilla arms so this is a perennial problem for me. I wash all my jackets, and stretch short arms while soaking wet via the weighted sleeves method. I've gotten up to 1-1/2 inches using this technique. Some jacketrs fold the cuff under and glue it-- you might find extra leather that can lengthen the sleeve. On other jackets, I've had Dena of GreatLeather.com add a cuff extension, or an elbow extension for a jacket that had zip cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24