Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEAT in the Golden Era

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Heard on the radio today that French butchers leave the heads on rabbits so the customers won't think they're being sold cat at rabbit prices. :rolleyes: Of course this is a nation that eats horse and likes it.

I have some game recipes from the 1937 Searchlight Cookbook that I will relay to you all a bit later. The Searchlight was a home ec institute run by the Capper publishing interests in Kansas.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Hanging in our kitchen:

100_2488.jpg

When you're married to a butcher, you eat meat. No butts about it. ;)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
How about pork butt? ;) :p

Speaking about pork butts ...

Our Fire Department Christmas party is Saturday. several of us will start cooking about 100 lbs of pork butts (plus a couple deer shoulders) late Friday night. It's a process that takes a lot of fire wood and a lot of alcohol ...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I would expect skunk to taste like rabbit.

I'm a vegetarian now, well, a fake vegetarian, I eat fish. Swordfish is my steak substitute.

Oooh, swordfish. That's really tasty. I was so sad when I found out swordfish isn't kosher. (like shrimp and crabmeat and a lot of the best tasting seafood, dang)

So, uh, steak is my swordfish substitute? lol

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Someone mentioned pork butts earlier. Here are a bunch of guys from the Fire department (that's me in the hat) getting ready to chop about 180 lbs of pork butts for out Department's Christmas party this past Saturday.

Goooood eating ...

DSC02379.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Spam Resurgent

Through war and recession, Americans have turned to the glistening canned product from Hormel as a way to save money while still putting something that resembles meat on the table. Now, in a sign of the times, it is happening again, and Hormel is cranking out as much Spam as its workers can produce.

In a factory that abuts Interstate 90, two shifts of workers have been making Spam seven days a week since July, and they have been told that the relentless work schedule will continue indefinitely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/business/15spam.html

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I recall Russell Baker's essay "Red Meat Decadence," wherein he decried the love affair with the cooked cattlebeast. The 30s, he declared, were largely a beef-free zone, except for "a pan-fried steak sometime in 1934 or '35." Probably served to Babe Ruth, or a guy with pince-nez and a haughty glare who looked like Edward Arnold.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
But surely potatos were one of the 3 veg in meat & 3 veg? They may have avoided rice and pasta - or didn't know what they were - but I am sure there was a lot more bread and potato on the table. We are overweight from eating too much EVERYTHING.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy