Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEAT in the Golden Era

Viola

Call Me a Cab
lolly_loisides said:
Do you mean holishkes?
stuffed-cabbage.jpg

Yes! That's the same thing, but that's the Polish word for it, I think, and I am wracking my brain for the Yiddish word!

Prakis? Prakus? stars with a p. AAAAHH sure call them holishkes. :)

My paternal grandmother made these. My maternal grandmother made mostly brisket.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Pratkes = Prakkus if you are a word-smashing slurring Philadelphian I guess. Oh Lolly I'll love you forever for solving that for me. Thanks!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I'm not sure about the word starting with "p" but both my maternal grandfather who was from Poland and my paternal grandmother who was from the Austria Hingary used to make that and called it gefillte kreut or stuffed cabbage. I could eat my weight in those. My father also used to make them and was also pretty good at that. I'm sure you're not talking about pirogen or perogies. That's different.

Chainsaw

Suspended
In Polish we call them Gwampki ( not the proper spelling). A lot of the food is the same between our cultures. Sledjie (pickled herring) to be consumed with Vodka, we make coogle too (but with bacon), potato pancakes.

davestlouis

Practically Family
My grandfather used to tell me that butchers in Cincinnati left the tails on rabbits so you knew it wasn't cat. There are 2 Cincinnati delicacies I remember well, 1. city chicken, which as far as I can tell, is cubed pork on a kebab skewer...yuck. and 2. Goetta, which is a kissin' cousin to scrapple, only with a different kind of oats mixed in, so the texture is different.

I remember my mom taking the neck from the Thanksgiving turkey, and using it to make turkey soup later in the winter. My grandfather just LOVED to gnaw on that gross old boiled turkey neck...makes me gag just thinking about it. He was the same guy who ate chicken wings, bones and all, didn't want to be wasteful.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
My father used to eat that turkey neck too. I had to leave the room. It seems like there were so many people moving around Eastern Europe to escape all kinds of what not that all the cultures and foods started to become almost the same. I remember I played a Christmas gig for a nationality I wasn't familiar with. I later learned they were Romanes (spelling?) or Gypsies, the more common term. The people came from all over Europe. Most of them could not speak English. They communicated through the Romanes language and the feast they spread out was an Ashkenazi dream. The names of the foods were foreign to me but I recognized each one of them. And it was good. :essen: :essen: :essen:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Chainsaw said:
In Polish we call them Gwampki ( not the proper spelling). A lot of the food is the same between our cultures. Sledjie (pickled herring) to be consumed with Vodka, we make coogle too (but with bacon), potato pancakes.

I've also seen them called golabki. Which could be pronounced gwampki! So delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy