Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men wearing vase/flower lapel pins?

Dashing1

New in Town
I have a few of these and really enjoy them. While I've got some vintage sterling silver ones that hide behind the lapel (with merely a small lip protruding through the buttonhole on my lapel), it is easier to find colored glass versions that I've heard were often given out by banks to their male customers.

I have a couple of new versions that were made by Talbott, as well. They have silver bodies with a very small, enameled flower that peaks through the lapel buttonhole. The flower worn in the vase generally covers the enameled piece, but I still love the hidden detail. While these items are not vintage, I can't help but think they'll be sought after by collectors in years to come.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really must get one of these.

crazydaisy said:
:eek:fftopic: I love love love Poirot!
Please forgive my excitement :eek:
:eek:fftopic: *high five* I just did a forum search for Poirot (to find the photo in the OP) but I'm happy to see another who loves Poirot. :)

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
My favorite detective portrayed by the perfect Poirot. (He once portrayed Detective-Inspector Japp, too.) The producers had to have that boutonniere custom-made I believe because they couldn't find one, and Mr. Suchet was sure Poirot would wear one. He was no doubt right.

John Galt

Vendor
I'm a big Fan of Dame Christie and this is how I have always seen Monsieur Poirot in my own pea-brain.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if lapel holes were designed for this, but men would stick the end of their watch chains through it, placing the watch into the breast pocket (there were even leather straps made for this). The majority of hats made before the Great War had a cord called a "Wind Trolley" that would be have the end placed into the hole. Finally, as to the original purpose of them, what were considered "Sack Suits" before the Great War (your then-typical suit, which consisted of a dartless four-button front, riding buttons in the back with a vent, a vest, shorter pants, and Overcoat-weight fabric; almost like Jude Law's Watson in the recent Sherlock Holmes) had a latch and a button to fully fasten the front (this was, remember, when every garment a man would wear would be considered formal clothing today; every man had two or three suits, an overcoat, a hat, and boots, with mixing-and-matching of the suit's components).

On a quick note, if one wears a Double-Breasted Suit, then would they still put a flower in the left side, neglecting the right lapel hole?

-Quetzal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner