Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Dress Hat Stores, in New York City.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
hey guys, its been a while since ive been on here....

besides the stores that have been listed on the forum, from last year, does anyone please know about any other mens' dress hat stores in NYC?

my main source were my friends at Arnold Hatters, but unfortunetly they had to close down... the old NYC is slowly being swallowed by the over priced and "Beverly Hills/Disneyland" that NYC has been turning into... Midtown Manhattan isnt "Midtown" anymore, its Rodeo Drive now......

its really hard to find a decent hat store, with reasonably priced high quality dress hats, like the Rubin family's store had.

if anyone knows any New York City based Men's dress hats stores, with what i listed above, please let me know. Thank you.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fedord Spaniard said:
hey guys, its been a while since ive been on here....

besides the stores that have been listed on the forum, from last year, does anyone please know about any other mens' dress hat stores in NYC?

my main source were my friends at Arnold Hatters, but unfortunetly they had to close down... the old NYC is slowly being swallowed by the over priced and "Beverly Hills/Disneyland" that NYC has been turning into... Midtown Manhattan isnt "Midtown" anymore, its Rodeo Drive now......

its really hard to find a decent hat store, with reasonably priced high quality dress hats, like the Rubin family's store had.

if anyone knows any New York City based Men's dress hats stores, with what i listed above, please let me know. Thank you.
There is Worth and Worth, www.hatshop.com. I don't know New York, and there no doubt are others, but that's the one I know.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fedord Spaniard said:

I don't believe any new hat shops have opened in the last year.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Fedord, why not make a trip over the Williamsburg bridge to see us? It is worth the trip as many loungers will tell you. We are one block from the best steak house ( PeterLugers) as well.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^^^^

And the price difference between you and JJ will pay for the meal. :p

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
danofarlington said:
There is Worth and Worth, www.hatshop.com. I don't know New York, and there no doubt are others, but that's the one I know.

I was born and raised in NYC but just recently have been getting into hats and it is a shame how many hat shops there used to be and are no longer.
I visited JJ and it was a nice old school feel, and the service was very good. I might go there to have a ribbon replaced and a hat re-blocked and serviced soon.
I went to Worth and Worth a few weeks back but it was a Sunday and they were closed. Not sure if their shop even allows "walk ins" - when I got there the elevator was broken and I walked up four or five flights of stairs only to find the door locked. At least they had a glass door where I could see some hats and hat activity.
Does anyone know if Worth and Worth allows drop ins or do you need to make an appointment?

carldelo

One Too Many
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Does anyone know if Worth and Worth allows drop ins or do you need to make an appointment?

Yes, they do. Their showroom hours are listed on the website:
Mon & Tues, 10 am - 6 pm / Wed - Sat, 10 am - 7 pm
I would still call before I went over, however, it's a small shop.

For the OP, the trek to Bencraft is worth the small extra effort. If it's during the day, Peter Luger apparently has one of the best burgers in the city for a reasonable price.

By the way AXL, the last time I tried JJ does not do hat renovations of any kind, just steaming and brushing and maybe a stretch. They would not work on a hat I brought in that I bought elsewhere. Whatever happens, do NOT let JJ steer you towards Peter & Irving to do any hat renovations, that joint is a bona-fide hat butcher. I believe W&W is the only game in town for renovations, unless you want to ship your hat.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Carldelo, wow, thanks so much for the heads up! I did not know that! Thank you very much for the info.

I will definitely check out Worth and Worth and will let them work on any hat servicing I may need. Right now I am looking to have my old Churchill fixed up (needs to be reblocked, new ribbon, etc) and also looking to have a wide ribbon put on a Stetson. Worth and Worth would allow me to drop in with said hats and service them?

carldelo

One Too Many
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Carldelo, wow, thanks so much for the heads up! I did not know that! Thank you very much for the info.

I will definitely check out Worth and Worth and will let them work on any hat servicing I may need. Right now I am looking to have my old Churchill fixed up (needs to be reblocked, new ribbon, etc) and also looking to have a wide ribbon put on a Stetson. Worth and Worth would allow me to drop in with said hats and service them?

I'm pretty sure that's fine, although I would call to make sure someone who can evaluate your hat will be there. They publish their prices, which is a nice touch:
http://www.hatshop.com/site/hat-repair.php
I still haven't managed to get in there to have a brim binding and new ribbon put on my sage Chatham, but soon I hope.

Re: the statement about JJ: to be fair, that was quite a while ago. Since then I've read that others have gone in and had little touch-ups done on their lids bought elsewhere with no problem, but no real renovations. Times do change, after all....

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
This may help--I recently did a hat shopping trip to New York, and posted about it here:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=49508

To sum up, I didn't know about Bencraft Hatters before going, so I visited 3 stores--Worth & Worth, The Hat Corner, and JJ's Hat Store. I found all three to be excellent, and worth visiting for their own flair. I would summarize them this way:

Worth & Worth - had the fanciest, highest quality hats, for a higher price
The Hat Corner - By far the least expensive, and a great homely little shop, but selection is limited
JJ's Hat Store - By far the largest selection (although the season I went they didn't have much in my size)

Hope that helps

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I was in JJ's today for a visit. They will clean other stores hats . I dont think they change bands though. We just hired a new person who will renovate hats for us. No one wants to do this type of work anymore.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
wow look at all the post replies! thank you guys, for all your answers. i might go and check out, Bencraft this weekend. i think i visited this store years ago, the gentlemen that i spoke to there, were hasidic jews and a bought a few wool felts from them. ive visited Worth & Worth before, but they didnt have anything that i liked. ive also visted JJ, but they are a little too pricey for me. im looking for a store, similar to Arnolds. in my opinion the Rubins' store sold very high quality fur-felt hats, and the price was reasonable for me. the hats were also made of a thick rabbit fur felt, my friends at the store, told me that they were cowboy hat bodies, but made into a dress hat instead.

i still have those hats, they have been through summer heat, snow and rain, and they still look great. im looking for fur-felt fedora hats similar to that quality, and with a 5" center dent crown. and if the crown is a little under 5 inches, it should be able to be pushed up, a little bit further to make it a 5 inch crown. i also liek my hats wit a thick ribbon, atleast 2 inches in width. if anyone knows a store that has these kinds of hats, then please let me know. thanks again guys.

p.s. what trains are by bencrafts?

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I emailed Worth and Worth about having a repair done and a ribbon replaced but as of a couple of weeks, still no answer. I will probably just give them a call. I live in NYC so it would be ideal if they can work on my hat.

I just bought a Stetson (generic type) straw and really don't like the ribbon and want it replaced with something unique. I am not sure where I should go. Anyone recommend any stores in the NYC area that not only replaces ribbons but has some really unique ones (for straws especially) to choose from?

markapsolon

New in Town
bencraft Hats is good one in NYC. I ordered two Borsalino hats from them a few weeks ago but they were a little small for the size. I sent them back and talked with one of the guys there who recommended a replacement. Did it for two stetsons :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
I emailed Worth and Worth about having a repair done and a ribbon replaced but as of a couple of weeks, still no answer. I will probably just give them a call. I live in NYC
Why e-mail a local biz when you can ring them up? [huh]

Or, God forbid, walk into their shop......

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
markapsolon said:
bencraft Hats is good one in NYC. I ordered two Borsalino hats from them a few weeks ago but they were a little small for the size. I sent them back and talked with one of the guys there who recommended a replacement. Did it for two stetsons :)
Borsalino size is all over the place. At my size 7 1/8, I have a couple of those that fit perfectly. Another is loose. One Borsalino beaver fedora was very tight at 7 1/8. I have a Borsalino Panama that at 7 1/8 was way too loose. You've got to go into it half expecting to get a different size.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Why e-mail a local biz when you can ring them up? [huh]

Or, God forbid, walk into their shop......
:arated: ditch the phone and computer. Go visit the store, it's darn cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran