Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Sandals

JeffOYB

Vendor
Weird. I know the sandal-sock combo is evil and all, but can't everyone see that my initial post (and the couple simple, direct Supporters) refutes all the not-very-much attempts at countering it?

The defenders of virtue just aren't up to snuff in this case.

As we know, virtue makes sense. So there's a disconnect somewhere. Those holding off the evil empire should be able to make some sense of their position, right? So let's see it.

...Socks'n'sandals don't defeat the purpose of sandals. ...Shoes don't necessarily offer more support, nor is support always the goal. ...Any fashion item can be abused. ...Footwear has no relation to belly size. -- Defenders, you're slacking!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
To me, in this case, it's all about what it looks like. I won't defend it or put it down. It's comfortable but looks weird. I have other things for my feet that are comfortable and don't look weird. That's what I wear.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
...Socks'n'sandals don't defeat the purpose of sandals.

Yes, they do. Sandals are for extreme ventilation, ease of removal (for swimming and other barefoot activities), and most often the ability to get wet with little to no ramification. Socks nullify all of these.

That and it just looks, well, bad. There is not much of another way to put it. Sandals are bad enough, but then when you make them have no added benefit over shoes they become utterly pointless.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Druthers is a fine personal-choice thing, certainly.

I'd hazard that quite a few folks think an Optimo panama looks a bit weird.

Many might find knickers/plus-fours to be odd, too -- and they're a vintage love. Many of us are making big gains in bringing knickers back for outdoor sportswear. I've even worn them out on the town. Weird, a bit, but cool, too. Lines can be crossed and straddled in fashion, as we know. Weird, cool, conservative, radical can all sometimes run together -- sox'n'sandals might be an example.

I'd think that modern outdoor shoewear has nearly made the socks'n'sandals question moot. So I'm surprised at how many still raise the drawbridge against it. And thus I want to explore whether there's rationale behind it.

For instance (and I realize this is a bit offtopic to a Classics forum), Merrell makes hundreds of shoes with varying amounts of holiness (har). Some of the most popular bike and running shoes today also are holey. People are outdoors doing all sorts of things in socks while wearing footwear that has holes in it. Then when they go out on the town they don't necessarily change their shoes. But I don't think they suddenly look bad, either. "Sandal," in short, is a continuum. So is the need for sockage. So the types naturally merge for all sorts of reasons with all sorts of results.

To me the question is: Does it work? For you. ...And also for those who are looking at you. Fashion isn't selfish. We don't want any eye injuries.

JeffOYB

Vendor
OK, here's a pet-peeve for me: town-wear does NOT usually allow sports footwear. That looks weirder to me than sox'n'sandals.

So you're wearing a nice spring/summer hat...button-up shirt...tidy shorts...and NIKES? No! Maybe it's sandals...and because it's not very hot out (and maybe your feet are white/ugly/etc) maybe you're also wearing socks that go with the rest. Too crazy?

Also, I think shoes are sometimes too "heavy" of a look for shorts.

Last edited:

JeffOYB

Vendor
Yes, they do. Sandals are for extreme ventilation, ease of removal (for swimming and other barefoot activities), and most often the ability to get wet with little to no ramification. Socks nullify all of these.

That and it just looks, well, bad. There is not much of another way to put it. Sandals are bad enough, but then when you make them have no added benefit over shoes they become utterly pointless.

Sandals are not only for beachwear. Ventilation is relative. Bigger/more/smaller/fewer holes. Many sandals are quite dressy. Not really meant to be used all that close to water/sand.

So everything else you're wearing may well be quite dressy for the hot weather, including your sandals, yet the foot has to be bare? ...Poor sock, all left out.

djd

Practically Family
My dad wore socks and sandals when i was a kid. I'm deeply scarred as a result.... It's a look that wouldn't have looked good on Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, Brad Pitt or any other good looking man I can think of. If it wouldn't work for them it damn sure isn't going to work for normal people ;)

Feraud

Bartender
I am sure there is someone out there who can pull off the sandal and sock look but I've not seen it.
Dressy sandals? Hmm, not sure about that.
I give this fashion odd couple a thumbs down.

djd

Practically Family
Advice that every man should use before they dress ;)

Asolutely Rue. It's like those three-quarter length trousers... Sure, some good looking, slim men look OK in them- BUT the same people would look 100% better in something else. All the short fat ugly guys in three-quarter length pants... WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? You look ridiculous

JeffOYB

Vendor
My dad wore socks and sandals when i was a kid. I'm deeply scarred as a result.... It's a look that wouldn't have looked good on Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, Brad Pitt or any other good looking man I can think of. If it wouldn't work for them it damn sure isn't going to work for normal people ;)

First good point! : )

If it's a fair combo then, you're right, we should be able to find pics where it's being done well.

My *impression* is that it IS being done well in European cities, for instance, but that may just be a dream.

However, my impression is also that once you go "to town" in a civilized place you wear long pants. So there's that. Probably a rule that's broken the hotter it gets and the closer to water you are. ?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Sandalist

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/08/26/romans-socks-sandals/

"Romans Wore Socks With Sandals 2,000 Years Ago, Archaeologists Claim"

BUT NO GREEK/HELLENISTIC/ROMAN SCULPTURES HAVE DOCUMENTED THIS - sculptors had an instinct for beauty. Or the follow-up generations mutilated those which did - the secret of torsos is now revealed - valid motiv for iconoclasts

Spartans, Gladiators marched into their deaths SANS socks

Socks with Sandals is simply Sandalism :eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
I don't ever recall a time when the 'socks and sandals' combo was not the object of ridicule. I don't see any reason for this other than a collective cultural notion that is it somehow 'nerdish' or otherwise to be laughed at. There's certainly no logical foundation for it that I can see. In other cultures it would be odd not to be wearing socks - see traditional Japanese dress, for example:

hakama_pant.jpg

201022554032.jpg

Considerably less ridiculous than the sight of a grown man in short trousers of any variety.

I have a couple of pairs of sandals somewhere of the leather and cordura straps with rubber sole variety. One pair was bought as a last minute, cheap costume piece, and worn with a chiton, chlamys and a large ball of string. The other dates to an earlier time, when I had a severely ingrown toenail and couldn't bear to wear normal shoes on top of it. I can only recall wearing socks with them once, when emergency shopping for new shoes to wear to a meeting. I was in Mallorca at the time; the sole had fallen off the dress shoes I had with me, and all else I had were sandals. It seemed unhygienic to go trying on new shoes without socks, not to mention that as I would be wearing socks with said new shoes.... The experience was much more comfortable than going without socks. I should also think that in any big city one would find one's feet much cleaner at the end of the day with socks. I can't imagine me going back to wearing sandals again, but if I did I probably would wear socks with them.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
In other cultures it would be odd not to be wearing socks - see traditional Japanese dress, for example:

hakama_pant.jpg
Actually, Zori--otherwise called Setta for men--can be worn, and are worn barefoot, as well as with tabi which are sewn (not knitted) from cotton (or linen for summer) fabrics. Formal style as shown here requires tabi, but with very casual kimono, the person can wear zori without tabi.
On the other hand, women will almost always wear tabi with zori.
Geta, the wooden footwear are worn barefeet most of the time, though one may wear it with tabi when using the geta as rain *shoes*.

Woland

One of the Regulars
My dear and gentle Tuppence B. went for me with a hatchet when I tried to wear socks with sandals (or vice versa).
Personally I cannot see the problem...

Ok; lots of style-less individuals practice white tennis socks in sandals, but in my opinion this is just a small part of a loathsome whole.

Me; I've got a slight problem with odour and toxic fumes in general when skin & leather meets in an unholy marriage.
I go forth and by myself an expensive pair of leather sandals; and a couple of weeks later they fill all requirements for weapons of mass-destruction.
So either I refrain from wearing sandals, or I wear them with socks...

I take good care when I choose the socks (of course).
As close to identical colourwise, and of suitable length in order to make a statement.

I've yet to read an argument that sheds light over why this is considered so utterly faux pa.
But Tuppence B. is eyeing the hatchet, yet again...

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
The only arguement against it is that 'it just looks dreadful'. It's up there with a sideways baseball cap, jeans with the crutch round your knees and Princess Beatrices hat....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21