Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Sandals

JeffOYB

Vendor
I just don't think we're stuck with those two poles.

I still think we could find classy summer cafe living pics that include the sandal/sock combo...

Italy, New Orleans...it's out there. Stylin'... Oh yeah!

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oddly enough, I find that far more repulsive than ever I did socks with sandals. It makes me think of the Miami Vice wardrobe, which brings me out in hives.
A negative connotation can be drawn from just about any style or item of apparel...... like fedoras and Al Capone.

Rather than think of Don Jonson you might think of this guy......

brooks_shoes06.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Socks with sandals are evil in answer to the original post. :p

Well said.

To me, in this case, it's all about what it looks like. I won't defend it or put it down. It's comfortable but looks weird. I have other things for my feet that are comfortable and don't look weird. That's what I wear.

Exactly - there are many summer footwear options that look nice and feel nice.

To me the question is: Does it work? For you. ...And also for those who are looking at you. Fashion isn't selfish. We don't want any eye injuries.

My grandfather is a big fan of the sock & sandal combo. He'd probably also wear a hanky with knotted corners on his head, were he to go to the beach. It is not attractive.

My *impression* is that it IS being done well in European cities, for instance, but that may just be a dream.

I haven't made an exhaustive study, but in the European cities I have been to there were no socks & sandals being done well. There were very tall blonde people wearing socks & crocs, sauve dark people wearing well-made leather sandals and espadrilles, loud English-speaking people wearing sports shoes and the occasional older English gentleman in socks and sandals, not looking at all appealing.

You are the one positing that it can be done well, surely it is up to you to produce evidence (other than that school picture of Binkie Baumont - he looks adorable but it doesn't count)?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
To me a guy wearing sandals with socks just looks like he's walking around in his slippers. A very sloppy look in my opinion.

I would also add that no man outside of a pool or beach should be wearing open toed sandals. I don't need to see your ugly feet.

Agreed. Each day I ask myself "If I wear this, how would Jeeves react?". :yo:

djd

Practically Family
I don't think he was suggesting that those were sandals/ merely a smarter alternative to wear in the hot weather. As worn by all the Hollywood greats in the 30s and 40s!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Vinnie has flopping Love Handles
But that is the least of his scandals
Wearing goofy sock garters
Making flea market barters
He doubles the blunder with sandals.

;-)

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I honestly fail to understand what this thread is doing on this forum. I thought people here had style :p

Can you wear sandals and socks? of course you can
Is it comfortable/ more comfortable than without? possibly, I don't know really.

Does it look good? No, it doesn't.

It is fine if you are on your own in your secluded garden I suppose (and provided you do not have a mirror nearby). But ridiculous in most other circumstances in the Western world, regardless of which side of the Atlantic you call home.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I quite like seeing a gent of a certain age in the panama, bermuda shorts and socks and sandals combo, i think it is perfectly acceptable, pottering about in the garden with a pair of secateurs in hand, comforting even on some weird level. I know summers here in the Uk when the senior citizens are rocking the sandals and socks look! For the younger gent it's a no-no, the italians do it better with the Tod's loafer, driving shoe thing and rolled up chino's or tailored shorts.

Maguire

Practically Family
To me a guy wearing sandals with socks just looks like he's walking around in his slippers. A very sloppy look in my opinion.

I would also add that no man outside of a pool or beach should be wearing open toed sandals. I don't need to see your ugly feet.

Exactly. Frankly i don't like the idea of wearing shorts outside of exercising in the summer or something to that effect. I don't know but around here it seems sandals are becoming way too popular, i don't remember seeing sandals as much even 15 years ago, but it could just be seeing the past through tinted lenses. I don't care how nice feet look, an adult male outside of a beach context looks ridiculous when he's making the clippity clap noise of sandals when he walks. Granted in certain other cultures it may be more common but people in europe/america dont wear kimonos/japanese traditional regularly, they wear sandals in the context of other sloppy, shoddy fashions. And if they don't, then it looks all the worse. I remember i used to see a professor on campus who'd wear a full suit and for his feet... crocs or sandals. socks optional. So perhaps my views are colored by the trauma of seeing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21