Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Sandals

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
No grown man has any business wearing short trousers

REVE-02507.jpg

djd

Practically Family
Funnily enough I was listening to a British fashion designer on the radio a few weeks back and he was suitably scathing about men wearing flip flops and such on the street. He did say that he thought the only stylish way for a man to wear shorts was tailored shorts with long socks and smart shoes...

All I can say is come to LA in the summer during a heat wave and do some yard work, shorts are not an anathema.

I have Teva sandals that are the type that the river rafters wear but never considered socks as the thing that makes them fashionable. That always seems sort of Eastern European, the socks and sandals thing.

Maguire

Practically Family
I'm not feeling the bermuda shorts look. Last time i saw them before that picture was jurassic park, and that character wasn't played particularly sympathetically. It looks ridiculous.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
So you're basing your dislike for a sartorial look or garment on a character in a movie.........:rolleyes:......how can any look go unscathed using that rational.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think this USED to be true, Yeps. But, like most things, sandals have changed. There are now "dressier" sandals, sandals with support and better "insoles." Even sandals that aren't that easy to get in and out of. Trust me, I have a pair that take more effort to remove than most shoes!

As for the ventilation, I find that many current sandals are not exactly "extreme," suggesting that there is now a middle ground, even a sliding scale, for ventilation. I wear socks with my sandals, although only in the house, because they give my ailing feet some support, but I don't end up with sweaty feet. But if I go without socks, my feet actually get sweatier (weird, right) and I feel like I'm going barefoot and have something stuck on my feet.

As for looking bad, I agree that sandals look more "right" without socks, but if sandals are about function more than fashion, matching socks can't be evil, just less than preferred. So, while I wouldn't advocate bright socks with, say, black sandals... what's wrong with black on black. Also, the style of sandal should come into the decision. If your toes are going to be exposed, socks become more obvious and less of a good idea. But with so many closed-toe designs around now, often they are just shoes with windows.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
But with so many closed-toe designs around now, often they are just shoes with windows.

This is definitely true. I don't really think that closed toes are possible on sandals, and that that makes a different footwear, to be treated differently.

Maguire

Practically Family
If it's good enough for the Tommies...

There was an excuse there, they were fighting in the tropics and the like. Any photos of the armies in Rhodesia and SA also show them wearing shorts, but once again, it makes sense given the circumstances. I highly doubt most of the folks around here in nyc are fighting the Bush War or exerting themselves anywhere near as much as the said people did on the average day.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
But, like most things, sandals have changed. There are now "dressier" sandals...

I actually agree with most of your post. But cannot contemplate the oxymoron that dressy sandals is.

Or, to be precise, I do not accept that today's standards where the correct way to wear jeans seems to be as to expose half of your backside (and it's very rarely a pretty one too) are making sandals "dressy" :D

Cobden

Practically Family
Wearing socks, chapplies (a type of sandal), hosetops and short puttees was de-rigeur in the Indian Army in the interbellum...

There was an excuse there, they were fighting in the tropics and the like. Any photos of the armies in Rhodesia and SA also show them wearing shorts, but once again, it makes sense given the circumstances. I highly doubt most of the folks around here in nyc are fighting the Bush War or exerting themselves anywhere near as much as the said people did on the average day.

On the other side of the it was hot int he area argument, have you seen or felt the weight of a heavy wool Civil War uniform? They were fighting in these when the weather was over 90 degrees. Thick wool---very thick wool and long pants made of the same material. :eek::eek::eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm