Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Sandals

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
There was an excuse there, they were fighting in the tropics and the like. Any photos of the armies in Rhodesia and SA also show them wearing shorts, but once again, it makes sense given the circumstances. I highly doubt most of the folks around here in nyc are fighting the Bush War or exerting themselves anywhere near as much as the said people did on the average day.

Si' entiendo, Maguire, and the Italians and Germans had similar togs in North Africa, but my point was that the Tommies carried it off well, what?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab

Maguire

Practically Family
On the other side of the it was hot int he area argument, have you seen or felt the weight of a heavy wool Civil War uniform? They were fighting in these when the weather was over 90 degrees. Thick wool---very thick wool and long pants made of the same material. :eek::eek::eek:

I've heard stories about soldiers collapsing from heat strokes rather than remove their jackets in the war. really quite astonishing considering most folks today would rather wear shorts sandals and a t shirt year round if it were possible.

And Widebrim- yes they carried it off well, and i wouldn't tell them to switch, .. but as i said, context. Interestingly enough i've always heard that in exotic locals wearing long sleeves and long pants is ideal, to avoid having too many things attacking your exposed legs and arms. So wearing shorts and short sleeves for example, in Africa, the South Pacific or SA seems rather strange from that perspective.

Last edited:
Well, I meant it strictly in a relative sense... and I said "dressier" not "dressy."

I happened to get a catalog today that had something I would call "dressier" than your run-of-the-mill sandal. In fact, the catalog calls them "Dress Sandals!"
http://www.blair.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=9926

product-images--7e79d7890e6456f891eead2de76a21a5b24a90a5-23c7a65f3525ce94--jpg_sqthumb_180--mensshoes-stacy-adams-dress-sandal.jpg

That's not a sandal. That's a loafer with holes. :p

I've heard stories about soldiers collapsing from heat strokes rather than remove their jackets in the war. really quite astonishing considering most folks today would rather wear shorts sandals and a t shirt year round if it were possible.

And Widebrim- yes they carried it off well, and i wouldn't tell them to switch, .. but as i said, context. Interestingly enough i've always heard that in exotic locals wearing long sleeves and long pants is ideal, to avoid having too many things attacking your exposed legs and arms. So wearing shorts and short sleeves for example, in Africa, the South Pacific or SA seems rather strange from that perspective.

Yes, soldiers did indeed collapse from heat exhaustion during the civil war due to their heavy wool uniforms but not a proponderance of them. Men were really men in those days----and no sheep were scared either. :rolleyes::p

Not to mention the sunburn that short sleeves and short pants would expose you to in the tropics if you were out in the hot sun. :eusa_doh::eek:

djd

Practically Family
I think those are ok :)

The absolute no-no for socks and sandals are exposed toes in socks (I dislike women's shoes that expose the toes in tights / stockings too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW