Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Sandals

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I don't like them either... but in very special cases ( very special ;)) I will overlook and forgive!... close my eyes, enjoy the music.

Like with violin virtuoso Yehudi Menuhin here on this photo holidaying in Austria, 1950.

92388076.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
5452413640_6c8310af88_z.jpg

My Sandal usually worn with grey Ankle socks, I have even worn them with a Suit!

I like those. Where would one go to purchase those, either brick& mortar or online? What are they really called, or is the term 'sloafer' for real? Sanoafer (with the accent on the 'oa'. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA. Say it out loud. You may see what I mean.

Byron123

New in Town
I like this thread specially its tittle ... Man can wear socks and sandals but not at the same time. sandals must be wear without socks and socks when you wearing shoes.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
NewOrleanseBay032.jpg

Norman Batiste, musician, July 2011, in front of the St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans. Norman is wearing socks with his sandals, total old school for New Orleans, and notice that he has modified his sandals by cutting a pattern into them. He did the same to his hat.
//

Edward

Bartender
Interesting choice of style for the hat, thoughsurely it would rather negate the advantage of a brimmed hat in the Sun?

I do like Binkie's shoes. They look like a male equivalent of the 'Mary Jane'. Actually, I remember having several pairs of shoes of that style as a very young child (up to about the age of five), although mine must have been the Winter equivalent as I don't recall them having ventilation holes n the toe. I'd definitely consider wearing a pair of those now, though. I could see them looking superb with items of hot-weather clothing with which co-respondents don't quite work, such as a Bush jacket.

On the matter of the short-trouser utility debate, while I'm sure they were considered a sensible option in the early 40s, all the medical advice I've ever heard for such conditions nowadays emphasises long sleeves and legs, and staying covered up from the Sun as much as possible. I suppose we simply know far more these days how damaging it is.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Three cheers for Norman and to 4spurs for bringing him to our attention! Bravo! : ) Socks'n'sandals lives...and gets stronger every day. : )

I'm still on the hunt for my special sandals. The pairs I've had so far have been black and fell apart so I'm on the trail of improved replacements. I see that Norman is sporting Fishermans. As I peruse the market I see a lot of interesting variants. ...I never knew!

I still think I'd rather see socks than people's feet. It's a bit like the bare midriff craze. Not that I really mind, though, but I find men's bare feet in footwear in civilized locales to be a bit less classy.

I like Norman's idea of a ventilated crown, too -- so many hats are so hot in the sun -- thwarting their main purpose.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Interesting choice of style for the hat, though surely it would rather negate the advantage of a brimmed hat in the Sun?

Yeah, you'd think so, but look at the shadow on his face, and notice that the pattern doesn't have as many perforations right over the face.

I took the photo before noon. He's facing the west bank of the river; you can tell that by the fact that the Cathedral is behind him. In New Orleans that means he's facing into the sun in the morning. Yeah, sounds odd, but the sun rises over the west bank in New Orleans, and sets over the east bank. Uptown is south and the French Quarter is on the north side of Canal St. The misdirection of the city is due to the curve of the Mississippi.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I agree with Cairo - I'd wear that style of sandal with socks gladly, but only in terrifically hot countries. Then again, I can't wear sandals as they see it as their moral duty to destroy my feet and make walking an agony.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Here's the villain himself in all his radical puffery!

I finally sprang for some closed-toe Skechers sandals (not very nice, but they'll do for now at $30). I often wear them sockless, but it's becoming cooler now and I just plain like some friction-reducing padding in an airy configuration. And I like more color. And so I commit crimes of fashion!

jp.socks.sandals.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Oh.... oh wow.... oh the horror..... make it stop.... I shut it down when I got to the almost nekked men :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

Oh yeah, that was pretty horrible. That website is proof that socks and sandals is WRONG. The only place it's permissible is taking out the garbage down the driveway because sandals are close at hand, easy to slip on, and you're only going to be outside for about a minute. Otherwise just don't, ever.

Almost as bad is people with groty horrible nasty feet wearing sandals WITHOUT socks. It's like honestly, people, none of us wants to see that and you know it.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
Every woman that I have ever spoken to on this subject has said emphatically that men should never wear sandals..... and flip flops should only be worn at the beach or by the pool. I tend to agree...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails