Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Sandals

Woland

One of the Regulars
The only arguement against it is that 'it just looks dreadful'. It's up there with a sideways baseball cap, jeans with the crutch round your knees and Princess Beatrices hat....

I see...
In other words deeply subjective and depending on tribal affiliation.
Except for Princess Beatrices hat that is...

But again; is not style depending on how the chosen garments are carried?
And does not fashion grow out of style?

Woland

One of the Regulars
This man is nothing if not color coordinated. Why am I thinking about Coleman's Mustard?

yella%20sox.jpg

Gotta love the Urkel look.

Rare%20dude%20!.jpg

Looks like he ate his bike

Fat_Guy_In_Spandex.jpg

I would argue that "socks in sandals" are the smallest of issues when it comes to the fashion sense of the guys pictured above.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm one over on this topic. I won't wear sandals. I had a pair when I was 8, they were hippy dippy leather with a tire tread on the bottom. I wore then for a few days, I couldn't walk without stubbing my toes, and my feet slid around when I jumped out of tree etc. I won't wear socks with sandals because I haven't had sandals on in 40 years. My deck shoes are pretty cool though. Topsidsers and a Stetson Temple go well together.

Lost in the 80's I guess.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Old school New Orleans Yat style; socks work with sandals, as long as the sandals are Italian leather shoe/sandals and not rubber/velcro sport sandals.

One must wear long pants with the sandals; the socks keep your feet dry and clean. Preferably one will wear a square tailed ss shirt, not tucked in. However a tucked in button down ss shirt is aceptable, but you might as well wear a necktie with it if you do.

The sandals should be a light color leather, and the socks should match.

A Panama to top you off.

That's how its done in the tropical New Orleans summers, that's how its been done before most of you were born.

djd

Practically Family
I see...
In other words deeply subjective and depending on tribal affiliation.
Except for Princess Beatrices hat that is...

But again; is not style depending on how the chosen garments are carried?
And does not fashion grow out of style?

Subjective? Yes. You either have some dress sense or you don't ;)

Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief... Slip on shoes and no socks. That's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
To me a guy wearing sandals with socks just looks like he's walking around in his slippers. A very sloppy look in my opinion.

I would also add that no man outside of a pool or beach should be wearing open toed sandals. I don't need to see your ugly feet.

in/y

One of the Regulars
"I don't know much, but I'll tell you, if you're walking down the street and you see a man wearing sandals and socks, he's gonna have a foreign accent"
-- Robert Klein

JeffOYB

Vendor
Old school New Orleans Yat style; socks work with sandals, as long as the sandals are Italian leather shoe/sandals and not rubber/velcro sport sandals.

One must wear long pants with the sandals; the socks keep your feet dry and clean. Preferably one will wear a square tailed ss shirt, not tucked in. However a tucked in button down ss shirt is aceptable, but you might as well wear a necktie with it if you do.

A Panama to top you off.

That's how its done in the tropical New Orleans summers, that's how its been done before most of you were born.

See, this kind of thing is what makes me know that there's a way of doing it right.

Then there's the post with the "if you see it you'll hear a foreign accent" angle -- which is not always so bad in terms of fashion in a nation of sweat-suits/tattoos.

I'm thinking outdoor summer cafe living...

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I don't like sandals, but I understand why people use them. I opted to buy some breathing canvas shoes. To me those are as informal as leather sandals and use in places where such an informal shoe would be fitting :)

28052011153.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Some years ago, my wife and I was sitting on a fairly wellknown gourmet restaurant in Sienna, Italy.
At the next table were an american couple and Sting!!! and his wife.
My wife found it pretty interesting untill....she discovered Sting wore the kind of sandals that has a piece of leatherstrap between the big toe and the next - AND SOCKS!!!! What a turnoff.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars

A Panama to top you off.

I think since this is a decidedly casual and definatly a summer look, the leather sandals should be a color we normally associate with casual wear. So Brown it is. Question about the socks though. Reviewing the post of "offenders" on the site which was linked. I found a few that were tolerable. The common features I found were long pants, Leather sandals and socks which matched the pants AND complemented the color of the sandals. The Sandals themselves were of a sort which covered the foot well but still fit the definition of sandals. Put all this together and you have a look which is VERY difficult to pull off. When it works it is almost unoticable that the "offender" is wearing sandals.

Edward

Bartender
Subjective? Yes. You either have some dress sense or you don't ;)

Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief... Slip on shoes and no socks. That's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Oddly enough, I find that far more repulsive than ever I did socks with sandals. It makes me think of the Miami Vice wardrobe, which brings me out in hives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana