Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Thurtleneck Submariners weaters

Bart

Familiar Face
OK Guys, you're all so interested in "soft hats", "fedoras", Stetsons, and 30's double breasteds zoots, etc, but in the north lands, does any one know where to find the old fashioned heavy and thick wool SUBMARINERS' turtleneck sweaters in both navy or white or natural colors? Those worn on US Navy ships during the big WWII war ships and even on de Fuerher's battlewagons? Like the ones whose necks don't crump and overall keep you warm on the Bridge....when the bow dives down into the waves on the prowl of the enemy subs.!!!??

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Welcome

You are sort of blowing onto the scene like an icy blast roaring through the Holy Loch on an February mid-watch topside on the submarine; prissies indeed!

One source for a sweater is http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/eastmanlanding6_2.php It is listed as an RAF aircrew sweater, but I have seen people refer to it as more of a Royal Navy sweater.

Try that out and see what you think. I don't own one. My authentic submarine sweater is an olive shawl collar henley type, all wool of course.

Fair winds and following seas,
Paul Webb
LCDR, SC, USN (Ret)

Bart

Familiar Face
Submariners' sweaters

Ahoy Boomerchop! Thanks for your reply. I checked out your thread.
I'm sure the sweater is what I'm lookin' for. I will follow it up once back in port, as you have it, out on the high seas blowin' in the gales off the bridge on the north Atlantic.

lordcharles

New in Town
Shawl Collar Sweater

Hi

I've been looking for a shawl collar sweater for a while and yesterday I found an excellent one on this site www.oakbayknittery.com

I think worn with my City Sport eight piece cap I could happily stand in for John Wayne in The Quiet Man

Story

I'll Lock Up
$140??!?!?!

The Scots' half of my gene pool just screamed like a velcro wallet being torn open. :eek:

RAF/Royal Navy white roll neck "sumbarine" sweater. WPG had recreated the classic white turtleneck sweater commonly associated with submarine and small boat crews. It was also highly popular with the RAF. Order by chest size 40-52. $68

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/uklist.htm

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Like BT says, they turn up here in Army Surplus stores occasionally. I got one from Sabre Sales down the road in Pompey. From my experience they are usually very surplus! I don't know how the Royal Navy washes them but the sleeves are really short. Well they are on me and I'm only 5'8". Also the collars are so stretched that they sit under your nose, Bash Street Kids style! I've got one in the loft that you can have, but it suffers from all these faults!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
The Scots' half of my gene pool just screamed like a velcro wallet being torn open. :eek:

RAF/Royal Navy white roll neck "sumbarine" sweater. WPG had recreated the classic white turtleneck sweater commonly associated with submarine and small boat crews. It was also highly popular with the RAF. Order by chest size 40-52. $68

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/uklist.htm

I like the looks of that one, and the price as well. May have to look into that one.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran